This couch scarf was on the back of my husband’s aunt’s couch when he was a child. It is not an Afghan. It is a long rectangle. Is it crochet? If so, what stitches? I can’t figure it out. I have looked and looked at it but it isn’t like anything I crochet.

C67D5417-9F99-4240-AFCC-E6485BADC581.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah, I wouldn't have guessed.  When I first learned to crochet, way before the internet, I learned (from a book) how to do hairpin and decided it looked cool, but wasn't as fun as 'normal' stitches--to this day I still prefer more structured stitches to  'thready' stitches like Solomons knot or puff stitches. A lot of hairpin lace is lovely and, well, lacy -- look at this for example.  

Edited by Granny Square
fixed weird wording
On 9/20/2021 at 7:32 AM, DonnaHT said:

Thank you!! I have never seen this before! And after seeing it, I don’t want to learn. lol

I've always thought it was pretty and that I might try it some day. But after looking at the video, I agree. It's off my list. LOL

Hairpin must have been a rage among me and my friends in the late 60's.  I still own a number of hairpin looms.  The picture shows my smallest one -- it's intended for something like size 50 thread.  I used it once to create an embellishment.

del hairpin.JPG

Mary Pat, I had a bigger yarn version, 2 adjustable plastic spanning (frames?) made of avocado green plastic, hey it was 1970) and meant for yarn not thread, yours is so tiny! It really does look like a hairpin.  I just found it in the bottom of my sewing box, the 2 green frames are 12" long, the pins are about 1/8" thick.  Pin placement holes are  1" across except the end holes are 1/2" from the adjacent hole, so pin-span range is 1" to 3.75".  So mine looks more like a 2 rung ladder than an actual bent hairpin shape like yours.

Edited by Granny Square

Mary Pat hadnt seen looms like yours.

Granny Square mine is like yours and yep bought it in the 70's along with the huge plastic knitting needle for broomstick lace.

(headslap)  Bgs, when I replied I'd forgotten your video attachment in the second post, I didn't look at the video but my 'hairpin' looks pretty much like the one you can see on the first frame of link. 

I never did try Broomstick lace.