Is this crochet?

DonnaHT

This couch scarf was on the back of my husband’s aunt’s couch when he was a child. It is not an Afghan. It is a long rectangle. Is it crochet? If so, what stitches? I can’t figure it out. I have looked and looked at it but it isn’t like anything I crochet.

C67D5417-9F99-4240-AFCC-E6485BADC581.jpeg

• Like 1

Ah, I wouldn't have guessed.  When I first learned to crochet, way before the internet, I learned (from a book) how to do hairpin and decided it looked cool, but wasn't as fun as 'normal' stitches--to this day I still prefer more structured stitches to  'thready' stitches like Solomons knot or puff stitches. A lot of hairpin lace is lovely and, well, lacy -- look at this for example.  

Edited by Granny Square
fixed weird wording

On 9/20/2021 at 7:32 AM, DonnaHT said:

Thank you!! I have never seen this before! And after seeing it, I don’t want to learn. lol

I've always thought it was pretty and that I might try it some day. But after looking at the video, I agree. It's off my list. LOL

Hairpin must have been a rage among me and my friends in the late 60's.  I still own a number of hairpin looms.  The picture shows my smallest one -- it's intended for something like size 50 thread.  I used it once to create an embellishment.

del hairpin.JPG

Mary Pat, I had a bigger yarn version, 2 adjustable plastic spanning (frames?) made of avocado green plastic, hey it was 1970) and meant for yarn not thread, yours is so tiny! It really does look like a hairpin.  I just found it in the bottom of my sewing box, the 2 green frames are 12" long, the pins are about 1/8" thick.  Pin placement holes are  1" across except the end holes are 1/2" from the adjacent hole, so pin-span range is 1" to 3.75".  So mine looks more like a 2 rung ladder than an actual bent hairpin shape like yours.

Edited by Granny Square

• 10 months later...