Help with pattern please! :)

Sophie2021

Question

Hello, hoping for some help as this has really puzzled me! It's to make a snowflake I'm part the way through but I am now very stuck.

UK terms

Chain 6 slip stitch to form a ring 

Rnd 1: 3ch (counts as first tr), 1tr in ring, 2ch. *2tr in ring, 2ch; rep from * four more times, sl st to 3rd of 3 ch to join, turn.

Rnd 2: 3ch (counts as first tr), (1tr, 1ch, 1tr) in next 2 ch-sp, *2tr, (1tr, 1ch, 1tr) in next 2 ch-sp; rep from * four more times, 1tr, sl st to 3rd of 3 ch to join, turn.

Rnd 3: 1ch (counts as 1dc), *4ch, sl st to 4th ch from Hook, 1dc in each of the next 2 tr, (1dc, 6ch, 1dc, 8ch, 1dc, 6ch, 1dc) in next 2 ch-sp**, 1dc in each of next 2tr; rep from * four more times,  then from * to ** once more, 1dc in next tr, sl st to first ch to join.

Fasten off weave ends

Edited by Sophie2021

12 answers to this question

What part of round two is giving you trouble? You start by chaining three, then you make the stitches indicated in the brackets in the chain space that you created by chaining two between your treble crochet stitches in round 1. ➡️You then make one tr stitch in each of the next two tr stitches. Then make the stitches in the brackets (1tr, 1ch, 1tr) in the next chain space. Then repeat the instructions from the ➡️ emoji until you finish the round.

1 hour ago, selind said:

You are welcome! 🙂

Now I've confused myself even more. Because what I made did not look like the picture. I didn't realise I was such a novice at reading patterns, or it's the lack of sleep.

Rnd 3: 1ch (counts as 1dc), *4ch, sl st to 4th ch from Hook, 1dc in each of the next 2 tr, (1dc, 6ch, 1dc, 8ch, 1dc, 6ch, 1dc) in next 2 ch-sp**, 1dc in each of next 2tr; rep from * four more times,  then from * to ** once more, 1dc in next tr, sl st to first ch to join.

so I've turned my work, chained one then chained a further 4, sl st in the 4th chain from my hook. Then dc in to the next 2 tr.

Now I'm confused as there is no 2 ch-sp on rnd 2?

Very thankful for any help!

"Rnd 3: 1ch (counts as 1dc), *4ch, sl st to 4th ch from Hook, 1dc in each of the next 2 tr, (1dc, 6ch, 1dc, 8ch, 1dc, 6ch, 1dc) in next 2 ch-sp "

That is only part of the instruction, but the bolded bit -there are 2 ways to read it, if the row before had a combination of 2-ch spaces, and 3-ch spaces for example, it would be specifically pointing to a space made by 2 chains, not by 3 chains.  Since your patterns prior rows' chain spaces were all 1 chain, the only thing that makes sense is "into each of the next two (separate) chain spaces.  It would have been clearer if it had not abbreviated and hyphenated ch-sp, or even added an s to 'sp'.

edited to add, everything in the (  ) would go in each of the next 2 chain spaces.

Edited by Granny Square
spelling

9 hours ago, Sophie2021 said:

Now I've confused myself even more. Because what I made did not look like the picture. I didn't realise I was such a novice at reading patterns, or it's the lack of sleep.

Rnd 3: 1ch (counts as 1dc), *4ch, sl st to 4th ch from Hook, 1dc in each of the next 2 tr, (1dc, 6ch, 1dc, 8ch, 1dc, 6ch, 1dc) in next 2 ch-sp**, 1dc in each of next 2tr; rep from * four more times,  then from * to ** once more, 1dc in next tr, sl st to first ch to join.

so I've turned my work, chained one then chained a further 4, sl st in the 4th chain from my hook. Then dc in to the next 2 tr.

Now I'm confused as there is no 2 ch-sp on rnd 2?

Very thankful for any help!

I tried to crochet this snowflake following these instructions. Does the picture in the pattern look anything like this? If so, I'll try to explain. So, I think there might be a mistake in the pattern because there are no 2 chain spaces in this round; neither are there any chain spaces directly next to each other. I just read that as "chain 1 space". In this round, you will be making dc stitches in each of the two tr stitches that are seperated by one chain, and also in the *two tr* stitches that are between these v stitches (tr, 1ch, tr). In that chain 1 space, work (1dc, 6ch, 1dc, 8ch, 1dc, 6ch, 1dc). The "chain 4, sl st into 4th chain from hook" is called a picot, and you will be making those between the two tr stitches I've marked with *.

IMG_20210915_223932.jpg

Edited by selind