I'm having problems with tension and holding my yarn it doesn't slide through my fingers very well. Any tips?

Amyspiderlymad

Question

I keep washing my hands thinking it's the oils from my skin stopping the yarn from gliding along my fingers. That works but not for long. Maybe I have sweaty hands lol

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I have no idea what it might be, but I'd guess if you were over-washing your hands they might get dry and chapped which wouldn't help either.  

Only other thing I can think of, and this might be like asking someone to crochet with their feet or with their 'other' hand--but maybe think about changing the way you tension your yarn.  I know there are dozens of ways, and most seem pretty convoluted to me.  I learned to knit first, and tension my yarn the same minimalistic way for both: I'm right handed, so the yarn path is over my left first finger, under the second, and back over the last 2-- It's just a sort of S shaped path, there is no wrapping around the pinky or waving my forefinger high in the air.  

I've been doing it so long it's instinct so I have to look at my hand as I'm typing this; really I'm just gently holding the fingers close-ish together, it's not a death grip