New to crochet, please help

DreSid

Question

Hello, 

I'm a crochet beginner working on a unicorn toy for a friend's new baby. I'm totally stuck! This is my second ever crochet project and the language it totally different from my first. It uses US standards but I can't make sense of it. I've made the head with no problem but I'm stuck on the neck/body. Round 7 on makes no sense to me and has me questioning whether or not I've started this portion of the project correctly. I've listed the instructions as given below. Please help!

NECK AND BODY:

Rnd 1: With A ch 2, 7 sc in 2nd ch from hook - 7 sts.

Rnd 2: [Inc] 7 times - 14 sts.

Rnds 3-6: Sc in each st around 14 sts.

Note: Neck made -- beginning shaping body.

Rnd 7: Ch 9, sc in 2n ch from hook and in next 7 ch, sc in next 6 sts, inc, sc in next 7 sts - 22 sts.

Rnd 8: Working in the back loops of the ch previously made, sc in next 7 sts, [inc] 2 times, sc in next 14 sts, inc, sc in next 4 sts - 31 sts.

Rnd 9: Sc in next 7 sts, [inc] 3 times, sc in next 22 sts - 35 sts.

Rnd 10: Sc in next 8 sts, [inc] 3 times, sc in next Rnds 11-17: Sc in each st around - 38 sts. 24 sts - 38 sts.

Rnd 18: Sc in next 9 sts, [sc2tog] 3 times, sc in next 14 sts, [dec] 3 times, sc in next 4 sts - 33 sts.

Rnd 19: Sc in next 8 sts, [dec] 3 times, sc in next 11 sts, [dec] 3 times, sc in next 2 sts - 27 sts.

Rnd 20: Sc in next 7 sts, [dec] 3 times, sc in next 8 sts, [dec] 3 times - 21

Rnd 21: Sc in each st around - 21 sts.

Rnd 22: [Sc in next 6 sts, [dec] 2 times] 2 times, sc-17 sts.

Fasten off, leaving a tail for sewing. Stuff and shape body. With plastic needle sew, closing opening.

14 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville, and to crochet!

This is a surprisingly well written pattern, written in a standard, conventional way ( https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards), see "crochet patterns - how to read"at the menu on the right.  I say surprisingly because we see a lot pleas for help deciphering poorly written  gibberish. 

The only thing that popped out at me that gets a lot of questions is the number at the end of each round, example round 1 ends in  "- 7 sts".  When you see something like that, it is just a summary of the stitches you should have made at the end of that round - example for that round, if you have 6 or 8, you made an error, so knowing you should have 7 can help you figure out what happened before you get farther and compound an error.  Sometimes these tallies will be more specific if the stitch count is not all the same stitch, like "10 DCs and 9 chain spaces" for example.

The note: "neck made - begin shaping body" is just  to orient you.  When you are making a not-flat thing, it's MUCH better to understand where you are, to orient you to what the next thing might look like, versus crocheting 'blind'.

In rows 9-20, putting words in [  ] is unconventional, but does not mean anything different than if the [  ] weren't there.  I will make a wild guess that the terms inside the brackets are included in the 'special stitches definition' section, to alert you to go look there for help if you forgot what 'inc' means for example.  

Is there a specific thing I missed that has you stumped?  edit, I completely missed your focus on round 7, sorry, see below.

Edited by Granny Square

Ok do exactly what it says--dont overthink it.

Rnd 7: Ch 9, sc in 2n ch from hook and in next 7 ch, sc in next 6 sts, inc, sc in next 7 sts - 22 sts.

You have finished rnd 6 so ch 9.  Yes you now have a piece just hanging there and its weird if you have never done it before.   Now you are going to work back down that chain thats hanging off  sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch.  This brings you back to round 6.  Now you are going to work into the stitches you made in round 6.  sc in next 6 stsinc, sc in 7 sts.  

• Thanks 1

I was editing my post because I'd missed focusing on line 7 and realized 'this looks familiar', then had to run off for a while (laundry buzzer went off, stuff needed folding and hanging up), so here's my second stab at this.

^what she said.  We had a couple of inquiries in the recent past for a similar situation - both were making the same toy, a llama (from a kit I think).  I'm not sure if your pattern is similar pattern (toy standing on 4 legs), but in that situation you made the head & neck in the round, and then the chain became the spine, and you worked in an oval up 1 side of the chain, making extra stitches at the end of the chain to 'turn the corner' - this is the tail end of the animal - then working back toward the neck end using the unused loops of the chain.  Future rounds are easier, it's all 1 round now around the neck which will become the chest area, and down the rest which will become the animal's sides and behind, until you get to where you need to add legs.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

Granny Square I am having a problem with the stitch count on round 7.  It says 22 but I am getting 23.  Is there something I am missing?  Math was never my best subject.

sc in 2n ch from hook=1

and in next 7 ch,=7

sc in next 6 sts,=6

inc=2

sc in next 7 sts =7

3 hours ago, bgs said:

Rnd 7: Ch 9, sc in 2n ch from hook and in next 7 ch, sc in next 6 sts, inc, sc in next 7 sts - 22 sts.

You have finished rnd 6 so ch 9.  Yes you now have a piece just hanging there and its weird if you have never done it before.   Now you are going to work back down that chain thats hanging off  sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next 7 ch.  This brings you back to round 6.  Now you are going to work into the stitches you made in round 6.  sc in next 6 stsinc, sc in 7 sts.  

First off let me say thank you to you and Granny Square for the prompt responses. I thought I'd be waiting a few days before hearing anything back. 

Also it does sound a little strange to have a random chain dangling, then again this is only my 2nd crochet project so most things are a little foreign. Is this supposed to be the spine?

I took your suggestion and made a chain of 9 from where I left off in round 6. Then I sc back up the chain and made it back to round 6. I followed the directions and made it back to the dangling chain. Is that correct? I've included pictures below.

IMG-20210912-WA0000.jpg

1631479934284357356340451762198.jpg

PXL_20210911_060155062.jpg

PXL_20210912_210706240.jpg

Edited by DreSid

Uh oh, I didn't do the math.  It wasn't/still isn't my best subject either, I always have my trusty calculator handy.

Rnd 7: Ch 9, sc in 2n ch from hook and in next 7 ch, sc in next 6 sts, inc, sc in next 7 sts - 22 sts.

Rnd 6 ends with 14 sts.  Chain 9.  One will be a turning chain, so that leaves 14+8=22 stitch tops to work into.

1+7+6+2+7...is 23, you are right. 

After the 9 chains, if my  spine theory is right, the first stitch is at the  tail and you are working toward the back neck.  it sounds like the increase is  mid-front chest more or less.  Not sure what that proves, but if you were to increase I'd have guessed the, uh, other end, but not between the ends so doesn't sound unreasonable.

Rnd 8: Working in the back loops of the ch previously made, sc in next 7 sts, [inc] 2 times, sc in next 14 sts, inc, sc in next 4 sts - 31 sts.

Now I'm wondering about my (edited, it's a unicorn, not a llama) spine theory, why back loops?

Ignoring that and counting stitches for rnd 8: 7+ 2 + 2 + 14 + 2 + 4 =31 stitches made.  OK, that agrees with the pattern; now let's count the stitches USED in round 8: 7 +1 +1 +14 +1 + 4 = 28.  Either I'm missing something (entirely likely), or I need to take back my comment about well written pattern earlier.

But here is something interesting - I don't know how this helps - round 8: 7 +1 +1 +14, the first 4 numbers of my last list = 23. 

Edit, Hi DreSid, you posted about a nanosecond before I did.  See the sketch on the part of the pattern you just added, the chain is the top of the spine.  So you transition from working a around a little neck, to working around the spine and working upper chest to rear end, toward the belly.  I'm just stumped or missing something on the numbers.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bgs said:

First off let me say thank you to you and Gravy Square for the prompt responses. I thought I'd be waiting a few days before hearing anything back. 

Also it does sound a little strange to have a random chain dangling, then again this is only my 2nd crochet project so most things are a little foreign. Is this supposed to be the spine?

I took your suggestion and made a chain of 9 from where I left off in round 6. Then I sc back up the chain and made it back to round 6. I followed the directions and made it back to the dangling chain. Is that correct? I've included pictures below.

12 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Uh oh, I didn't do the math.  It wasn't/still isn't my best subject either, I always have my trusty calculator handy.

Rnd 6 ends with 14 sts.  Chain 9.  One will be a turning chain, so that leaves 14+8=22 stitch tops to work into.

1+7+6+2+7...is 23, you are right. 

After the 9 chains, if my llama spine theory is right, the first stitch is at the llama tail and you are working toward the back neck.  it sounds like the increase is  mid-front chest more or less.  Not sure what that proves, but if you were to increase I'd have guessed the, uh, other end, but not between the ends so doesn't sound unreasonable.

Now I'm wondering about my llama (or other critter) spine theory, why back loops? I think this is poorly worded.  I think here you are working into the remaining loop of your chain like when working an oval.  At this point I dont think there is a back loop to work into

Ignoring that and counting stitches for rnd 8: 7+ 2 + 2 + 14 + 2 + 4 =31 stitches made.  OK, that agrees with the pattern; now let's count the stitches USED in round 8: 7 +1 +1 +14 +1 + 4 = 28.  Either I'm missing something (entirely likely), or I need to take back my comment about well written pattern earlier.

But here is something interesting - I don't know how this helps - round 8: 7 +1 +1 +14, the first 4 numbers of my last list = 23.  

The 'dangling spine' is going to cease dangling as just a single chain in the same round you made the chain. You make the chain (from neck to butt end), work back toward the neck, around the neck, and back toward the butt in round 7, and continue making that circuit around and around for the rest of the body, until it's time to add legs.

Now I see Bgs has replied, we really have a chat goin on!  And after reading it (slaps head) of course, back loop of the chain meaning the unused loops of the chain.  "Back loop" means something else typically.

To the OP:  upthread, I said you would be working in an oval, and forgot to explain what that means.  What I said was (describing the other llama project) "you made the head & neck in the round, and then the chain (which) became the spine, and you worked in an oval up 1 side of the chain, making extra stitches at the end of the chain to 'turn the corner' - this is the tail end of the animal - then working back toward the neck end using the unused loops of the chain."

The unusual concept of working in an oval is a frequent 'help' section question.  It is probably not a bad idea to search youtube on 'how to make an oval' for the general concept, because a picture really is worth 1000 words with the 'underside of the chain' part.  In a nutshell, you work across a chain as usual except adding extra stitches in the last chain to help 'turn the corner', then turn the work 180 ° with the same side facing you, but the stitches you just made facing down - and work back toward the spot you began but using the previously unused strands of the chain.  I recommend that you do NOT make your first pass working into the 'back bump' of the chain, it is unsuitable for this. 

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, DreSid said:

First off let me say thank you to you and Granny Square for the prompt responses. I thought I'd be waiting a few days before hearing anything back. 

IMG-20210912-WA0000.jpg

1631479934284357356340451762198.jpg

PXL_20210911_060155062.jpg

Yes I think that is right.  Now for round 8 I think you are going to work up your projection, back down, and around.

• Thanks 1

You both have been so helpful! I can't thank you enough!!! Now that I actually know what I'm supposed to do, I've realized it was so far off from what I was thinking I would have never figured it out. Thanks again! I literally couldn't have figured this out if you two didn't help me. I'm sure I'll have more questions later but if not, I still want to post a picture of the finished product! 

You're welcome.  Yes we would love to see it when you finish!

I have learned to try not to overthink patterns especially when it says to do something I am not used to doing.  Just work it a step at a time exactly like it says.  Most of the time it works out and I learn something new.  

You are very welcome, glad to help!

You are doing great for a brand new crocheter!  This is an unusual construction compared to most stuffed toys, and not a typical beginner pattern; you are getting a crash course on intermediate & maybe even advanced techniques.

I learned my crochet survival skills on my own, before the internet.  A few tips that worked for me:

• read thru the pattern to see if it makes sense to you.
  • do what the pattern says first, even if it is telling you something that seems impossible (like your dangling spine chain).  I've found it's more than often right, but I tend to pick patterns from sources that are tech-edited (magazines, yarn company patterns like from Yarnspirations, Lion Brand, etc.)  Sometimes if you follow what it says, and doesn't work, you can figure out either if you erred or the pattern did, and if it was the pattern, (maybe with a little more experience) you can figure out what it meant to say or finagle a way to get to an 'end' that will work out.
  • For something like a wearable or a toy, make sure you are 'oriented' to what you are making, the steps will make more sense.  That's why I made sure to say 'you are working toward the butt end' for example.
  • When in doubt, look at the pattern photo, that can answer a lot of questions.  I think that sketch where it said 'start here' was helpful, but I think it would have been a lot more so if it had shown where the 'spine chain' was. 

Bgs just replied, I see we are of the same mind re: follow the pattern.