Help with DTR3TOG

SSD

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to crochet a slash-neck lace top (pattern in Big & Little Crochet magazine no. 75) and I follow the pattern to make the back but instead of a straight row it starts bulging into an arc.

The pattern is:

1st row

4ch, miss first 3dc DTR3TOG into next dc, 5ch, *work dtr group, 5ch,rep from * to last 3dc,3dtr into same dc as last leg of last dtr group until last loop of each St rem on hook, miss next 2dc,  1dtr into last dc unit last loop rem on hook,  yrh and draw through all 5 loops.

Please help.  Not sure what to do. I really don't want to give up on this project.

Many thanks

S

2 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

I think it is missing saying something like 'skip x stitches' (presumably 2) between the clusters (or groups as this pattern calls them). 

If you make 1 stitch into 1 stitch of the prior row, the 'stitch accounting' should make a flat piece of fabric.  This pattern line's accounting doesn't balance.

If you '3together' stitches, it means to make 1 incomplete stitch in each of the next 3 stitches, then join them together, so you have decreased 2 stitches (1 stitch top created, 3 stitches 'used'.)  If you made a 'group' and then chained 2, you'd use 3 stitches to make the cluster which has 1 stitch top, plus the 2 chains, this uses 3 from the prior row and creates 3 stitches (stitch tops) in the current round, so should lie flat.  I hope that makes sense?

I'm not 100% positive that this is the right solution, but it seems to me the pattern is in error if it is suppose to create a flat piece of fabric, and the above is 1 way to go about it.

Have you looked online for the magazine for errata?  I'm not familiar with that publication, but the pattern magazines that I'm familiar with all have at least 1 error in each issue, and errata is published at a later date online.

Edited by Granny Square

Thank you so much for the really needed and helpful advice. I tried a few more times but with no luck so found something similar on YouTube. Hoping this will turn out a success. Again thank you for your help 🙂