Help - Snowmen vest

MrsHammer

Question

I’m currently working on a snowman designed by Lisa van Klaveren and I’m completely stuck in a step. I have attached a picture of the piece I’m working on plus the steps I need to do next.. is there anyone that can read this steps and help me understand what are my next stitches? For row 1, which direction am I following? I am so lost… I have tried in every direction I think it’s supposed to go but nothing makes sense to me… I’m a standstill. Your help will certainly be appreciated.

F2740FCF-D8D7-4F9E-9417-B5C45B68FA9B.jpeg

6CCA4853-03A7-4556-BE92-3C48ED43D1E0.jpeg

10 answers to this question

You are going to rotate your piece 90 degrees and start working on the left side of your piece--- into the ends of your rows.  Then you rotate piece 90 degrees and work into your foundation.  Rotate piece  90 degrees where you work into ends of rows on right side.  

For row 2 you will turn your work and again work around the 3 edges.

Hi! 

I'm not exactly sure, but I think you are working in the wrong direction, possibly turning the piece over before working around it, when you were just supposed to turn it 90° with the same side facing.  

Where it looks like you've chained for the next armhole (the chain at the top left of the photo) is at the hem.  The 'flatter' stitch area on the right of your photo is the shawl collar.  I think the armhole should have started  right below where the collar meets the body.  I'll try to draw a picture....edited, see below--does this make sense?  My orange lines may be off a stitch or 2 on the exact placement, but that's the general area where I believe the armholes belong.

SNOMAN JACKET.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

I love how the vest is being formed working around 3 edges instead of cutting yarn and then joining it for other side.

Just in case you might not know on row 2 where it says work in lower loop.  This shows it but calls it the 3rd loop.

He's adorable!  So glad it worked out.  While I'm not a fan of those patterns that have a photo almost at every stitch made, I think this pattern could have used a photo or sketch at this step - it's unusual but also cool as Bgs said because it takes an efficient shortcut that works just as well in the end.