Help figuring out what yarn this is

bobrien

I bought this yarn a few months ago at Joanns on clearance. I didn't think I would end up using it for a blanket as a wedding gift so I need to buy more but I can't remember what yarn it is! I'm pretty positive that it's Bernat brand but there's a chance it could be Lion's Brand. If I can just figure out what type of yarn it is, I can figure out the color and go from there. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! 

PXL_20210821_164454133.jpg

Clearance yarns are often those that are no longer manufactured.
As such, yah, you might be able to find them through ebay or facebook, but they will be costly.
You might try taking it to Michaels and Joanns to see if there are any yarns similar or contrasting that you can use.

In general, if you buy clearance yarns, don't plan on getting more if you don't get enough - If you want to use them for a blanket, try to get enough at that time. Consider them a true 'limited edition,' by the time they go on clearance.

This was the only one similar I could find:
https://www.yarnspirations.com/bernat-wavelength/161007.html?dwvar_161007_color=Pearl&cgid=yarn#prefn1=brand&prefv1=Bernat&prefn2=refinementColor&prefv2=Multi%2FVarg&start=19&sz=12

Best of success to you!

Edited by Moz

^ What she said.  

Yarns like fashions, this year it's X and next year X is SO passé, and Y is 'in' now.  Seriously, even old ancient standbys like Red Heart Super Saver kill off old colors and bring in new ones every so often, some yarn brand offerings come and go in a year or 2.

AND, if you do happen to find some far-flung stash, the likelihood it will be the same dye lot is zero, and a different dye lot can make for a really ugly project.  (sometimes you can get away with it if the item is striped and you separate the dye lots with another color it is less obvious...but not always).

I think your best bet is to re-plan the afghan as different width stripes, rip (say) half of it out and make another same size stripe symmetrically placed on the other side of the blanket with something else between, maybe, or whatever plan to make it all look planned (since it the blanket is already at least 2 colors).  

Thank you for the feedback! I really appreciate it. 

Yes, I didn't think I was going to end up using it for a blanket, I just really loved the texture and did it anyways. 

I think I will take up your advice and do a different side to it, I may make it kinda fun and weird. If you have any suggestions, I'm open to them!

Thank you!

If you want to know if the yarn has any wool in it, you could snip a small length and put it directly into full-strength bleach.  If there's wool, the wool will bubble up and disappear. 

I get a lot of partial skeins of yarns donated to me and if I'm making an afghan, it's important to me to know about the wool.  I don't want to donate an afghan only to have parts of it shrink during the laundry process.