Re: Waffle Stitch

For those that have worked with the Waffle Stitch: 

In your opinion, is it thick enough to prevent burning hands for a cotton potholder with 1 square or should it be made with 2 squares together using such as Peaches n' Creme yarn?

Edited by ReniC

I have to say I've never used that stitch, so no help.  But...I use 'wiggly' crochet, which is similar-ish, thicker but less solid, for trivets to put on the table, after I've grabbed a hot casserole dish out of the oven with a safer pot holder.  So you might think of waffle st. trivets instead.

I'd be as afraid it being too textured to grab and hold onto the item in the oven properly as well as the thick/thin/might get burned possibility.

4 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I have to say I've never used that stitch, so no help.  But...I use 'wiggly' crochet, which is similar-ish, thicker but less solid, for trivets to put on the table, after I've grabbed a hot casserole dish out of the oven with a safer pot holder.  So you might think of waffle st. trivets instead.

I'd be as afraid it being too textured to grab and hold onto the item in the oven properly as well as the thick/thin/might get burned possibility.

I made 1 set of "wiggly" potholders several years ago and found them to be too "holey". Thank you for the input. Every bit helps.

7 hours ago, ReniC said:

Well, maybe I should stick to my favorite, the Magic Potholder. It's always a no fail in sc. 

That was always my favorite one until I tried the thermal stitch potholder. It's a little tricky to get started but once you get idea of it, it's no problem.

https://mycrochetspace.com/crochet-thermal-stitch-pot-holder/

I finally got upstairs to look at a waffle stitch baby blanket I have and it does have "holes" created by the post stitches. I think it would definitely need to be two squares together to work.

Thank you. I'm going to give the Thermal st a go. I've not tried it before and it looks intriguing. I have always kept a box of potholder sets and scarves for last minute gifts and have been lax on keeping it supplied this past year+. Thanks again.