YO or YU

For all these years I've crocheted, I've never used a Yarn Under sc, simply because it never occurred to me. I ran across this little video explaining the difference and thought some would be interested. I'm not sure I agree with her idea that you should always use a YO, not a YU. Maybe it should be a persons' personal preference, or, maybe that was how they were taught.

Edited by ReniC

I didn't watch the video, but I'm with you, I've only seen YU come up recently, and I think my YO habit is too ingrained; I didn't see a reason to change.  Plus, I have seen other sites that tout YU because it "looks better" in the round, but it looks untidier to me, there's an extra 'blip in the stitch.  To each their own, it's nice to have choices I guess.  

A few years ago when it came up I realized I do a mix of yo and yu on stitches.  Sc-- insert hook in stitch yo pull thru yu complete stitch.  Dc---yo insert hook in stitch yo pull thru, yu pull thru 2 loops, yu pull thru two loops.  

Granny square: My sentiments exactly.

Brenda: I just tried the Yu-dc and didn't care for it. Too twisty to me and not as tall as a Yo-dc. Or maybe I'm just a plain old traditionalist. LOL 

My stitches are neither yo or yu but a combination of the two within the same stitch.  I was self taught and all I picked up on was the yarn needed to get over the hook and it didnt seem to matter whether it got over the hook by coming from the top or bottom.   I do sometimes practice doing it correctly.

5 hours ago, bgs said:

My stitches are neither yo or yu but a combination of the two within the same stitch.  I was self taught and all I picked up on was the yarn needed to get over the hook and it didnt seem to matter whether it got over the hook by coming from the top or bottom.   I do sometimes practice doing it correctly.

It's always nice to have a selection so we can figure out what is best for us.