How do you store your crochet hooks?

I know how to store my yarn. That's easy: Cram it in Closet #1 until it's full. Then cram it in Closet #2 until it's full. Then cram under Bed #1 until that's full. Then . . . . (actually, I'm not quite that bad . . . yet).

But I'm curious, how do you store your crochet hooks, scissors, needles, stitch holders, etc?

Several years ago, I bought a zip-up binder (one that holds a DayTimer), removed all the calendar stuff from it, and then made new "pages" (i.e., cardboard covered with cloth with pockets or elastic) for holding my hooks. I like this method because I can zip it up and nothing falls out, and I can easily carry everything I need in one compact place. I did the same thing for all my interchangeable knitting needles and cords, too.

However, I'd like to hear other ideas. How do you manage--and transport--your crochet "tools"?

Hooks, scissors, other tools - I have a zip up clear plastic cosmetic bag that hold most of my not-hook tools (scissors, stitch markers, sewing needles, etc.).  Hooks and knitting needles are all in cases made for them (either made by me*, or the cases they came in, or found commercially probably eons ago; might have come with a magazine subscription now that I think of it), which are probably size-wise not unlike your re-purposed Day Timer.  Those all live in my 'knitting bag', the sort of thing that has wooden legs and can stand by itself, or fold up and stay in a closet (edit, or carried around like a tote).  Something like this

I really do not have a massive yarn 'stash' -- I tend to shop for yarn by project for the most part.

*there are patterns on the 'net for hook cases--check out this site, scroll down to 'crochet for needleworkers' , I made the aluminum hook case eons ago and it is still going strong.  

Edited by Granny Square

I love those cheap plastic pencil cases that go on sale right about this time every year.  They are great for my hooks and I have another one for all my other supplies. 

I also recently found these skinny trays at the dollar store 3 for $1 that have been perfect for holding all the little pieces that I end up having as I crochet amis or doll clothes.  I can also put the buttons, snaps, eyes, noses, etc. for a project in one of them and they don't get lost, which I've done on more than one occasion. This has decreased the amount of stuff that falls through my couch.

Edited by Bailey4

19 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hooks, scissors, other tools - I have a zip up clear plastic cosmetic bag 

Same here :)

I have a "jelly jar" for those hooks I use the most and working with at the time. Because of that jar I never misplaced or lost any of my hooks :). Each time I need to walk away from crocheting I ALWAYS put my hook in that jar!. I did glued a piece of felt to that jar to be able to store my smaller things like: needles, pins and on... 

Here is a picture of my jar,. Not much to look it BUT it is very handy :). Would not want to be with out that LOL.

Krys

DSC01339.JPG

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for sharing your ideas. I do have a pencil bag, but it's not clear. Those clear ones are great, especially as I get older and my eyesight gets worser! So far, my leather (or, more likely, faux leather) DayTimer binders have held up very well, but I'm always interested in learning how other people keep the mess that is crochet (and knitting) all together! I hope others will respond.

In the meantime, here's another repurposing idea: The metal and plastic button holders (that come on the backs of Sewology buttons from Hobby Lobby) make some of the best stitch markers for crochet. They are shaped kinda like a capital R, and they function like a bobby pin (a very small one). So you can slip it into a stitch and pull it out without latching or unlatching anything. I don't recommend them for smaller diameter yarns or for finicky yarns (you know, the kind that fuzzes if you look at it wrong?).

1 minute ago, USpolishgirl said:

Same here :)

I have a "jelly jar" for those hooks I use the most and working with at the time. Because of that jar I never misplaced or lost any of my hooks :). Each time I need to walk away from crocheting I ALWAYS put my hook in that jar!. I did glued a piece of felt to that jar to be able to store my smaller things like: needles, pins and on... 

Here is a picture of my jar,. Not much to look it BUT it is very handy :). Would not want to be with out that LOL.

Krys

DSC01339.JPG

That's a great idea! Thanks for sharing, and you made it colorful, so it is "much" to look at! Very nice!

• Thanks 2

The pencil boxes are cheap and hard plastic so I haven't broken one if I've knocked it to the floor.  I can also leave it open if I want to keep the stuff available to grab.

I've tried the cups/jar idea and I'm too clutzy and your beautiful jelly jar would be in pieces on the ground. 

I did buy the Stash and Stores from Annie's here and I moved to a small almost night stand next to my  couch when we replaced the couches and needed smaller end tables.  Those work well for holding the hooks of almost any handle size as I have Bates Bamboo hooks.