Different ply yarn

CrafyJp

Hello!!

So I had a question on the difference between different ply yarn because I am going to be buying some sock weight yarn and on the website I can choose between 2ply and 4ply yarn personally I was thinking of getting 4ply (want to try my hand at knitting some socks) but then was like well what is the difference just so I can know in the future... 🤔🤔

Thank you!

Edited by CrafyJp

Where are you, UK or US? And where does the pattern originate from?   

From the links BGS sent, you can see it can make a BIG difference, ply means 2 completely different things in each country's 'yarn lingo'.  Example: there is tiny Cordonette doily thread that has 6 actual plies (which is yarn weight/size 0, or less), and gigantic super jumbo size yarn that has 1 or 2 actual physical plies (yarn weight/size 5 and above).  

More plies for the same size of yarn is a good thing, it's stronger, but probably going to be more expensive (at least Cordonette is more expensive than ordinary doily thread).

Whatever you do, swatch; socks are less forgiving for being 'off a little' size wise.  Also, you really do want to pick a sock yarn made for socks, it is usually a wool/nylon blend which wears better than (example) Michael's Woolike which is sock weight, but all acrylic.

11 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Where are you, UK or US? And where does the pattern originate from?   

From the links BGS sent, you can see it can make a BIG difference, ply means 2 completely different things in each country's 'yarn lingo'.  Example: there is tiny Cordonette doily thread that has 6 actual plies (which is yarn weight/size 0, or less), and gigantic super jumbo size yarn that has 1 or 2 actual physical plies (yarn weight/size 5 and above).  

More plies for the same size of yarn is a good thing, it's stronger, but probably going to be more expensive (at least Cordonette is more expensive than ordinary doily thread).

Whatever you do, swatch; socks are less forgiving for being 'off a little' size wise.  Also, you really do want to pick a sock yarn made for socks, it is usually a wool/nylon blend which wears better than (example) Michael's Woolike which is sock weight, but all acrylic.

thank you for responding (but also sorry for being so late) but I am from the US and im not really following a pattern just a basic knit vanilla sock and I was just trying to find some sock weight yarn for it and on the website the colorway I wanted I was able to choose from either of the two ply yarn

I did end up getting the 4 ply yarn even though I don't know the difference I just wanted to see the difference