Stuck on a Pattern

Clarabee

Question

I'm trying to make a snout for my bear, but I don't know how.

The pattern says to 

Ch 4

Round 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, sc, sc 3 in last ch. Working down the other side of the chain, sc, then sc 2 in last stitch (8sts)

Round 2: sc all around (8sts0 FO.

I'm mostly confused with how to do round 1. 

Edited by Clarabee

1 answer to this question

Welcome to the ville!

This question comes up a lot, because it is a 'peculiar' maneuver (hard to bend your head around it the first time).  You will  be working in an oval, not in a circle nor in rows, but you will be creating a shape like a race track that starts with a chain in the center.

(start with 4 chains) Round 1: sc in 2nd ch from hook, [in chain# 2], sc [in chain#3], sc 3 in last ch [in chain#4].  This is all worked as one normally would work across the chain.  The bolded SC 3 is 'turning the corner' to prepare you to work into loops or loop you didn't already use above - for the next part you will be working into the the underside of the chain.  So after the sc3, you will keep the same side facing and turn it so the stitches you just worked are below you, and the underside of the chain is facing up.  So you have so far made 5 SC.

Working down the other side of the chain, sc, then sc 2 in last stitch (8sts).  The  (8 sts) at the end is the total stitch count you should have had across the top and bottom of the chain, and the second half of the instruction adds 3 stitches to the 5 you made into the top side of the chain, for a total of 8.

I hope that makes sense; there are a lot of videos on youtube for crocheting an oval, the details (#of stitches) will be different, but it might help you visualize it.

• Like 1