Help with this pattern!

CrafyJp

Question

ok so I am seriously going to need some major help with this top pattern it's like not hard to make, its just written in a way that is hard to fully understand what to do. I just started and I already need help. So according to the pattern (which I attached the part I am struggling with (which is one of many)) it says to make 47 more dc after making 1 dc and then in the 50th chain make 4

so the part I am confused on is how do we jump from 47 to 50 unless i am reading it wrong I don't know. at first I thought I figured it out but i'm just confused. 

Screenshot 2021-07-27 11.40.01 PM.png

10 answers to this question

Chain 350 

chain 50, pm

chain80, pm

chain90,pm

chain80,pm

chain 50,pm

350 chains.  Pm = place marker. 

ch2 in 4th chain from hook dc. (1st 3 ch is a dc) 47 dc (49dc) in 50th chain make 4 dc. 

if this is a drops pattern you will be deciphering a lot and lots of intuitive experience.

45657628-D1F9-4305-9179-3A8F9867F557.jpeg

14 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

Chain 350 

chain 50, pm

chain80, pm

chain90,pm

chain80,pm

chain 50,pm

350 chains.  Pm = place marker. 

ch2 in 4th chain from hook dc. (1st 3 ch is a dc) 47 dc (49dc) in 50th chain make 4 dc. 

if this is a drops pattern you will be deciphering a lot and lots of intuitive experience.

45657628-D1F9-4305-9179-3A8F9867F557.jpeg

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH! this was so helpful and I really appreciate the photo as well!

I don't know why I could not figure this out but I really appreciate it hopefully i can figure out the rest of the pattern  😅😅🤞🤞

Ok I am back with needing help with this pattern (I hope someone sees this since i didnt want to make a whole new post on the same pattern) but anyways I am finally on row 2 and again this is not something that is hard for me to make it is just hard for me to follow and this part of the pattern is exactly what I mean (i am going to give the creator the benefit of the doubt because I don't think English is there first language)

so i need to dc2tog and i've done this plenty of times but the wording in this pattern is throwing me off. From my understanding of doing several of these you yo insert hook into the stitch pull up a loop yo and pull through two and then yo again and go into the next stitch pull up a loop then yo and pull through two here there's 3 hoops on the hook and you pull through all three

now if this whole time I have been doing this wrong then maybe it is me but i dont know i've read it and reread it and reread it some more and yea still not getting it

I am also confused on this part of row 2 of the pattern

"In the corners (where are 4 dcs in one st), dc 2 in between the
2nd and 3rd dc from 4 of them in the previous row""

so do I just do the double crochets in between them? idk im just confused I hope this will be the last of my confusion 🤦

thank you to whoever answers! 

*yo = yarn over

Screenshot 2021-07-28 9.42.11 PM.png

Edited by CrafyJp

Hi, it's better to keep your questions on the same pattern all on 1 thread, sometimes pattern questions help other people struggling with the same pattern in the future.

A lot of ' help subjects' come up frequently here, a while back a question was posed regarding raglans, and I drew a diagram--see below.  This drawing shows a pullover (no split in the front), but imagine the fronts here are split in 2 top to bottom, and instead of working in a continuous round you are turning at the fronts and working back and forth.

I included the diagram because you were questioning the 'corners', which you can see in the diagram.  It was drawn from the point of view of starting at the neck and working down, it sounds like you are working bottom up instead.  A raglan has 4 "lines", 2 in front and 2 in back from armhole to neck; if working bottom up those 'lines' are decreases, if working neck down the 'lines' are increases.

The very first time I made something with this construction (neck down) I was totally ??what?? it is a little hard to visualize the first time you do it.

I agree with you that the description of the DC2tog is not...conventional, and should have been called something else, and may have been done that way for appearance only just for the beginning stitch not to actually decrease a stitch (because it doesn't, you'd have had to chain2 and decrease over the next 2 stitches), assuming the ch2 didn't count as a stitch.  

Raglan Top construction.jpg

Edited by Granny Square

9 hours ago, CrafyJp said:

Ok I am back with needing help with this pattern (I hope someone sees this since i didnt want to make a whole new post on the same pattern) but anyways I am finally on row 2 and again this is not something that is hard for me to make it is just hard for me to follow and this part of the pattern is exactly what I mean (i am going to give the creator the benefit of the doubt because I don't think English is there first language)

so i need to dc2tog and i've done this plenty of times but the wording in this pattern is throwing me off. From my understanding of doing several of these you yo insert hook into the stitch pull up a loop yo and pull through two and then yo again and go into the next stitch pull up a loop then yo and pull through two here there's 3 hoops on the hook and you pull through all three

now if this whole time I have been doing this wrong then maybe it is me but i dont know i've read it and reread it and reread it some more and yea still not getting it

I am also confused on this part of row 2 of the pattern

"In the corners (where are 4 dcs in one st), dc 2 in between the
2nd and 3rd dc from 4 of them in the previous row""

so do I just do the double crochets in between them? idk im just confused I hope this will be the last of my confusion 🤦

thank you to whoever answers! 

*yo = yarn over

Screenshot 2021-07-28 9.42.11 PM.png

That’s what it sounds like. 2 dc tween sts 2,4 in the corner sts. Have you looked to see what happens in row 3,4? In the corners. 

dc2 tog beginning and end row sts.  Have you contacted designer if the dc2tog instructions are correct?   Do you have a photo or diagram to look at?   If I make the dc2tog as written it shortens that stitch down to sc height, so I think it’s just an oops in instructions.  
Read the pattern all the way through and see if that clarifies where the results will take you. 

5 hours ago, NCcountrygal said:

That’s what it sounds like. 2 dc tween sts 2,4 in the corner sts. Have you looked to see what happens in row 3,4? In the corners. 

dc2 tog beginning and end row sts.  Have you contacted designer if the dc2tog instructions are correct?   Do you have a photo or diagram to look at?   If I make the dc2tog as written it shortens that stitch down to sc height, so I think it’s just an oops in instructions.  
Read the pattern all the way through and see if that clarifies where the results will take you. 

I just dm the creator I hope I get an answer back soon because It is confusing and I do have pictures in the pattern but they aren't helpful at all. unfortunately though I don't think I can even finish this top since I realized i don't think I will have enough yarn for the size i need anyways 🤦🤦🤦

6 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Hi, it's better to keep your questions on the same pattern all on 1 thread, sometimes pattern questions help other people struggling with the same pattern in the future.

A lot of ' help subjects' come up frequently here, a while back a question was posed regarding raglans, and I drew a diagram--see below.  This drawing shows a pullover (no split in the front), but imagine the fronts here are split in 2 top to bottom, and instead of working in a continuous round you are turning at the fronts and working back and forth.

I included the diagram because you were questioning the 'corners', which you can see in the diagram.  It was drawn from the point of view of starting at the neck and working down, it sounds like you are working bottom up instead.  A raglan has 4 "lines", 2 in front and 2 in back from armhole to neck; if working bottom up those 'lines' are decreases, if working neck down the 'lines' are increases.

The very first time I made something with this construction (neck down) I was totally ??what?? it is a little hard to visualize the first time you do it.

I agree with you that the description of the DC2tog is not...conventional, and should have been called something else, and may have been done that way for appearance only just for the beginning stitch not to actually decrease a stitch (because it doesn't, you'd have had to chain2 and decrease over the next 2 stitches), assuming the ch2 didn't count as a stitch.  

Raglan Top construction.jpg

thank you for the diagram and I agree about the dc2tog I don't think it should be called that if it is not a decrease to me after rereading it sounds like im doing a basic double crochet but idk I asked the creator for help but no reply yet hopefully i get one soon 

So I was able to figure out how to do the decrease it was pointed out to me that the creator forgot to mention inserting hook into the next stitch but it is in fact a regular dc2tog. however I am still waiting for a reply back from the creator on how to do the second portion of row 2 and that is the corners. I don't know if she wants me to do them in between the posts or not? That is what I think I need to do but I am not so sure hopefully i can get a reply back soon 

thanks to everyone that has been helping me out with deciphering this pattern so far! :D

3 hours ago, CrafyJp said:

So I was able to figure out how to do the decrease it was pointed out to me that the creator forgot to mention inserting hook into the next stitch but it is in fact a regular dc2tog. however I am still waiting for a reply back from the creator on how to do the second portion of row 2 and that is the corners. I don't know if she wants me to do them in between the posts or not? That is what I think I need to do but I am not so sure hopefully i can get a reply back soon 

thanks to everyone that has been helping me out with deciphering this pattern so far! :D

The fact that it’s tween stitches 2and3 isn’t what is so unusual, rather you are decreasing in the corners from 4sts to 2. If row 3 then says make 4dc tween 1-2 in the corner then it’s just her way of working increases differently.  

1 hour ago, NCcountrygal said:

The fact that it’s tween stitches 2and3 isn’t what is so unusual, rather you are decreasing in the corners from 4sts to 2. If row 3 then says make 4dc tween 1-2 in the corner then it’s just her way of working increases differently.  

I actually ended up scraping this pattern because I did not have enough yarn but funny enough I am making another one the creators patterns and so far very easy to follow and understand .....so far..... 👁️👄👁️ (we'll see when i get to the top of this shirt)

But to answer your question this is row 3:

"3. Ch 3, dc in the same st, dc around – make 2 dcs in the corners in between the
previous 2 dcs. In the end make 2 dcs in one st. Turn. "

so I would still be doing the 2 dc in between i guess the 2 dc from row two which is weird. but i don't know it was confusing cause then after you do the two in between when do I do the next dc? I did it in the next st just to test it and it did not curve like a corner it look weird and i didn't know if that was what i was supposed to do or not but like i said Im going to save this pattern for another time hopefully I can figure it out then 

But thank you so much for all your help!! :D❤️