Work Gets Narrow

IttyBittyCrochetCommittee

Question

7 answers to this question

I just want to expand a tiny bit to what GalaxyCrocheter said:

Galaxycrocheter said"you don't add your step up into your stitch count unless it's required by the pattern/the type of stitch you're doing (like a granny square/working in rounds)." Me: true, but more precisely, the turning chain ("what Galaxycrocheter called "step up", which is a more accurate description actually, just not a conventional term) counts as a stitch for US DC and taller stitches.  It does NOT count as a stitch for US SC, and sometimes does for HDC (the designer should specify). 

The 2 rules that most beginners overlook when the turning chain counts as a stitch,  that must be strictly obeyed:  Make the turning chain, turn, and skip the first stitch.  Because the chain IS the first stitch now, it is 'acting' like it is 'in' the first stitch, so you have to skip that stitch.  When you come to the end of the row, your last stitch should be into the topmost chain of the turning chain of the row below.

The majority of the help questions in this forum are due to beginners not understanding or knowing about that above rule.  

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern  This page explains it in more detail.  This is an excellent site (stitch terms are US), and, I'm not kidding here, you need to understand every word to avoid pitfalls.

Are you remembering your turning stitch? Because that's what always happened to me. I didn't remember that the turning stitch was its own stitch. You step up/turn, then begin stitching again.

As far as I remember, you don't add your step up into your stitch count unless it's required by the pattern/the type of stitch you're doing (like a granny square/working in rounds). You get to the end, you chain however many you need to reach the correct height, then you yarn over and start your next stitch in the first stitch of the row.

I'm sorry if I'm being confusing. And sorry if I'm incorrect. I just remember that this is what solved it for me when someone taught me the error of my ways, and I taught a couple other people the error of their ways.

Maybe you could take a picture of what's happening?

I'm not advanced, but I have dozens of scarves and a decent amount of blankets of varying sizes under my belt.

Edited by GalaxyCrocheter