Greetings from the American Midwest

Hello. I'm J. I'm 31, getting close to 32. I'm male, married, and my husband and I have five cats.

I learned how to crochet when I was six, but I am by no means an expert, nor would I really call myself advanced.

I'm not very good at following patterns, but it's something I really want to get better at. I tend to just wing it. I prefer to work with larger hook sizes, usually 9mm and 10mm, but recently discovered the joy of working with an 8mm.

I make scarves and blankets of various sizes. Oh, and cat toys. I make a fair amount of cat toys.

I'm a hook collector.

Edited by GalaxyCrocheter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Moz said:

Hiya J, delighted to meet ya!
Almost all of us end up being "hook collectors," whether by design or not...lol!
~Moz

Well, it started a couple years ago with my husband buying me a bamboo handled Susan Bates hook because he hoped it'd be more comfortable for my arthritic hands. (He doesn't crochet, but he's been learning about my preferences at least throughout our many years together.)

My husband likes getting me nice, comfy hooks, though sadly we can't find the Susan Bates hooks locally anymore. (I only have one Susan Bates with a bamboo handle, then I have a couple vintage hooks in sizes I don't often use. I have other hooks with bamboo handles though.)

I also inherited a LOT of hooks from my husband's granny. Some I haven't been able to identify. The bulk of the collection was lace hooks, but I inherited others as well. I've learned a lot about crochet hooks since adding these to my own collection. 

Oh, and there are a couple handmade (hand-wittled) afghan hooks. We're not sure if they're heirlooms from my husband's family or if his granny picked them up at a garage/estate sale. They seem fairly old.

I've wanted to try to handmaking some crochet hooks ever since I first laid eyes on them.

Edited by GalaxyCrocheter
  • Like 1

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

Hello and thank you!

I keep seeing people bragging about owning bags you've made in their signatures while exploring the forums. You seem to be quite a legend here!

Thank you for gracing my introduction post!

6 hours ago, GalaxyCrocheter said:

Hello and thank you!

I keep seeing people bragging about owning bags you've made in their signatures while exploring the forums. You seem to be quite a legend here!

Thank you for gracing my introduction post!

The bags started out as fun and was only going to make a couple.  I ended up making over 100 of them.  They are bags to hold a project and they have the name Crochetville on the pocket.  We use to have a game as to trying to figure out where the bag was going and who was getting it.

If you go here.  All C’ville Totes and Owners 11/2006 -- 11/2017 - Giveaways - Crochetville  the first post will have the bag listed according to number.1-10 and so on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

The bags started out as fun and was only going to make a couple.  I ended up making over 100 of them.  They are bags to hold a project and they have the name Crochetville on the pocket.  We use to have a game as to trying to figure out where the bag was going and who was getting it.

If you go here.  All C’ville Totes and Owners 11/2006 -- 11/2017 - Giveaways - Crochetville  the first post will have the bag listed according to number.1-10 and so on.

That's incredible! Do you still make the bags? They're lovely. No wonder people brag in their signatures!

• Like 1

I have not made any for quite a while.  People have disappeared from the site, so it was hard to find someone who had a certain amount of post.  That was the criteria for getting one.  Thank you for the compliment.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 8:39 PM, Tampa Doll said:

I have not made any for quite a while.  People have disappeared from the site, so it was hard to find someone who had a certain amount of post.  That was the criteria for getting one.  Thank you for the compliment.

How many posts did one have to have to qualify?

Is there anywhere on this site that users can simply chat with each other, not necessarily exchange patterns and assistance? Get to know each other better? I mean besides here in the introduction forum. The Granny Square thread looks kinda like that, but I'm horrible at granny squares and I may be out of place there as I can't really contribute to a granny square project.

On 7/18/2021 at 12:21 PM, LegalWoman17 said:

I still have and use my bag.  

I don't see why you wouldn't!

Hello. Nice to meet you!

2 hours ago, GalaxyCrocheter said:

How many posts did one have to have to qualify?

Is there anywhere on this site that users can simply chat with each other, not necessarily exchange patterns and assistance? Get to know each other better? I mean besides here in the introduction forum. The Granny Square thread looks kinda like that, but I'm horrible at granny squares and I may be out of place there as I can't really contribute to a granny square project.

I don't see why you wouldn't!

Hello. Nice to meet you!

It went from 100 down to 50.  I figured by that time you would be established in the forum.

Ok the Granny Squares thread is a place to chat.  We don't really make them anymore, or I have not seen a request for them in a long time.  We come in there and just chat about our day or what is going on in our lives.  Come on in and join and see what fun you can have.

• Like 2

Just now, Tampa Doll said:

It went from 100 down to 50.  I figured by that time you would be established in the forum.

Ok the Granny Squares thread is a place to chat.  We don't really make them anymore, or I have not seen a request for them in a long time.  We come in there and just chat about our day or what is going on in our lives.  Come on in and join and see what fun you can have.

Ah, if that's the case, I might just join in on the conversation!

If I have a place to socialize in a forum, and there are people that actively respond, I can build up quite the post count rather quickly. (Not that I expect a bag for reaching that post count. I'm just pointing out that I can build a post count quickly, lol.)

The inactive parts of this forum rather sadden me. I mean, I can understand the multitude of reasons why it's happened. Honestly, I'm not sure if that makes it even sadder or not.

I hope this forum grows more active again. It looks like this place was truly amazing. I wish I'd found it years ago.

I found this place when trying to learn more about Hero brand crochet hooks that inherited from my husband's granny. It brought up a really old post from this forum. The funny thing is, that was the most useful/informative thing I found in my search.

I stuck around, reading through dozens and dozens of old posts. Some from the beginning years, all the way up to current day. I liked the place, so I made an account, and here I am now.

Hoping to have found a home that I fit into. Even if it isn't as active as it should be.

• Like 1