Hello all!

Crochetdaddy

I am a 43 year old guy self taught. I have been crocheting for about a month. My mom has been crocheting all my life but she lives halfway across the country so I had to learn on my own. My stiches are still really loose and ugly but with more work and more practice I might be as good as the rest of you. I look forward to your advice.

15 minutes ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Hello from Mississippi! Tension definitely takes practice and gets easier with time.

I am working on a blanket now and i can see my tension getting more consistent. I just got tired of making small swatches and pulling it out and starting over so i decided just make a darn blanket so i will do thousands of stitches and it has to get better lol

I cringe when I think of my very early projects,early on I didn't know wool and acrylic were different, I have one very wonky blanket, my daughter just loves and won't let me get rid of,its over 50 yrs old

• Thanks 1

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Crochetdaddy said:

I am working on a blanket now and i can see my tension getting more consistent. I just got tired of making small swatches and pulling it out and starting over so i decided just make a darn blanket so i will do thousands of stitches and it has to get better lol

Even though cotton yarn isn't quite as "smooth" to work with, I've always liked dishcloths to learn new stitches. They don't take too long and it really doesn't matter how they look--still perfectly usable. Same idea with tension. Good luck with the blanket; it should certainly be good tension practice.

• Thanks 1

In-line crochet hooks like Susan Bates can make consistent tensioning easier. I know they're a lifesaver when the pain in my hands is really bad. I especially like the Susan Bates with the bamboo handles. 

I'm also male and mostly self-taught. Except I'm almost thirty-two and I've been crocheting since I was six.

Glad to see another crochet bro!