My afghan is going crooked but the stitches are correct. Will it straighten when I wash and block?

Grandma54

Question

6 answers to this question

Depends.

On the fiber, type of crookedness, and how crooked it is. Some fibers block better than others but if its way off blocking wont fix it.  If its crooked because its a big granny square blocking isnt going to help much.  Cotton blocks better than acrylic.

You can always give it a try.

A photo would be helpful.

^Agree.  Blocking is more or less 'patting it out so it looks nice', but there is only so much it can fix, and it is temporary (I really don't recommend heat blocking, it alters the nice properties of a yarn blanket).  Also, sometimes an afghan can go /__ / slanted and have the same stitch count each row, but stitches are being added at 1 side and subtracted on the other.

A picture is worth 1000 words- you are indeed adding (edited, or losing, depending on which of the edges at the top are beginning and end) and it is evident in the piece on top.  Take a look at the top right corner of the top piece of the photo, and pick 1 stitch in from the edge, and trace that stitch down (meaning, the stitch made into that stitch, or that it was made into, depending if that was the first row or last row).  It ceases to be 1 stitch in from the edge.  I'll highlight it, back in a few.

I cannot, however, see evidence of that on the edge that is visible on the section that is underneath.

Edited by Granny Square

Blocking is not going to fix that.

Do you have exactly the same number of stitches in your last row as your first row?  Did you use the same hook?

Are your first and last stitches made in the proper place?

https://www.edieeckman.com/2019/08/28/where-to-put-the-first-stitch-of-a-crochet-row/

If your answer is yes to all the above then your tension is getting tighter as you work.  Happens to me all the time and I have to pull it out and try again.