FreeForm Crochet

Gail Brooks

Question

4 answers to this question

There are many possible approaches to selling your handmade items. If you want to sell them online, Granny Square's suggestion to sell them on Etsy is a good one. To do that, you first open an Etsy account. Then you take great photos of each item, write a thorough and engaging description of each item, set a price for each item, and use all the photos and descriptions to create product listings for your Etsy shop. Then you will most likely have to do some marketing to attract buyers to your shop. That part might be optional, but it also might be the difference between making sales or not.

There are other options besides selling online. You could also sell your handiwork at craft fairs or possibly consign it at local businesses. In my town, there are a few local "mom 'n pop" type businesses that sell hand crocheted things. You might or might not find similar opportunities in your own area.

All those ideas above on selling your hand made products are great.

You do NOT need patterns to be able to sell your crochet items. You only need patterns if you want to sell patterns. Those are two very different sales.  There are two different groups of costumers. Some will want to buy pattern and make that item by them self and others will not want to bother crocheting any of that, they just want to buy ready/finished item.

I design many items and I NEVER write any patterns. I just would not like to spend my time doing that LOL. I never sell my work. I only do that for my family and  very close friends.

Krys

One option is to do what Nataly Masters does - Make YouTube videos of you working on/crocheting your patterns, either showing the entire project being made or just parts of it . Also, Elena from SheRuKnitting does the same, with videos (she does have a publishing company in Russia, but I think it's only to show her work, like in advertising/pamphlet form, not the actual patterns, and they aren't available in the U.S. - I asked her about her "books" once, and that's when she told me that, because I had assumed she had published patterns when I seen that she had a publishing company, and I inquired about how to find one.) Both of these ladies done very well with their videos alone. (Nataly sells yarn, too.) Also, I'm pretty sure that Elena sells her actual products since they are so intricate and bespoke.