Interweave Seaside Dress

Samantha.paasche

Question

3 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!  Dec = decrease, usually - is there a spot (usually at the beginning, before the actual pattern starts) that defines special stitches?  Dec by itself usually means decrease by 1, as in combining 2 stitches together into 1, but your pattern is specifically saying 'dec 3', which would normally mean decrease 4 together, turning 4 into 1 so decreases by 3 stitches.  Beginning and end normally means at the beginning and end of the row.

Edit, just noticed this was in a magazine - special stitches or stitch definitions some times appear at the beginning or end of publications.

Edited by Granny Square

6 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

Welcome to the 'ville!  Dec = decrease, usually - is there a spot (usually at the beginning, before the actual pattern starts) that defines special stitches?  Dec by itself usually means decrease by 1, as in combining 2 stitches together into 1, but your pattern is specifically saying 'dec 3', which would normally mean decrease 4 together, turning 4 into 1 so decreases by 3 stitches.  Beginning and end normally means at the beginning and end of the row.

What are you making?  Putting 4 stitches into 1 is a pretty dramatic decrease all at once, it would make sense to gather something drastically like to close the top of a hat, or the foot of a toy critter perhaps.

Its a dress with a V shaped stripe. I thought at first that dec 3 meant 4 together, but that wasn't right because as you said it was quite dramatic. Maybe it means 2 together 3 times?

I just edited my post as you replied, as I'd overlooked that it said 'dress' in the title, and I should have looked it up before replying, sorry.  

https://www.interweave.com/article/crochet/seaside-dress/  In this pattern, a dramatic decrease makes perfect sense at the bottom of the V,