Which stitch is this?!

Lucyllwight

Question

6 answers to this question

Photo is upside down from the way it was crocheted, but it is the 'granny square stitch' done in rows.  Basically on the order of 3 USDC in 1 "spot', make a 'spot', repeat.  A 'spot' can be 1 or 2 chains, or zero chains (where you would put 3 DCs in the 'gap' between a 3-DC group in the row below).  There is some sort of end treatment to even up the rows, as you can see the 3 DCs are staggered every other row.

Here is one pattern, your photo's color arrangement =1 row per color stripe, this pattern looks different because each stripe is 2 colors, but the stitch is the same.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

This pattern is my favorite Granny Stripe Blanket. Although it is in British crochet terms, Lucy explains the stitch conversions to US terms. I've made 6 with this pattern and not had any problems. This pattern is also a 2 stripe color sequence, but, that can be changed easily if you desire.

• Like 1

Thank you for your help. Could anyone give me any tips how to increase a granny stitch. I’m crocheting a skirt in the round, and have tried doing 4 DC into the same spot, but next round it just is replaced with the same pattern of 3DC in each spot, so I assume will not grow!

I make a lot of lace doilies that grow center-out, like your skirt would need to from the waist -- the way many handle it is sort of like a tree might: one  stitch (or cluster, like a granny set of 3 stitches) is the 'trunk', then it splits into 2 stems and grows over a few rows to be full size again, then those split, and so on.  The increases are not in every stitch--example the average fabric skirt normally increases in 2 spots, at each side seam; you could choose this, or maybe 4 increase spots for a fuller skirt, or 6.  I made a short poncho this way without a pattern (I used V-stitches not the 'granny stitch', but same principle).  I'll try to see if I can get a photo of it that shows it well, it was sort of funky yarn)

So, your thought of making a granny 'shell' of 4 DCs is on the right track, but you don't want to do that in every stitch, only in an increase 'line'.  If you sew, it's like a gored skirt - you'd have maybe 6  fabric pieces cut in shapes like / \ , where the lines will become the seams - the seams are close together at the waist but get gradually farther apart as you get to the hem.  This is what you need to achieve, increasing at the 'seam line'. 

If you have made a 'regular' granny square, think about it - same principle, the increases only happen at 4 corners.  Because you are putting a lot of stitches into the corners, in a certain way, you get a square and it lies flat.  If you increase in 4 directions from the center, with a lot fewer increases forming the increase, and started maybe at row 3 of the granny square to make a hole in the middle, you'd have something approaching a skirt.  

Another round granny stitch pattern, I've made this one - you can see the branching I was talking about, getting thicker and splitting in 2.  (is easier to see here than on the project I mentioned, the yarn was too marled to see it well).  The only thing is you'd have to figure out what round to start with, would be some swatching involved to get it right.

Maybe you can work with this?  It's a mix of granny squares and granny rows, I don't know why you couldn't just ditch the squares and make the 'row part' to length. It doesn't allow for waist shaping, it has a tie instead.