Problems with Heart Granny Square

Beatriescrochet

Question

Hello,

I am a beginner at crochet and I’ve been trying to follow Jayda inStitches tutorial from YouTube (

The first time I did it, the heart looks perfectly centred, but I’ve done about 9 more since then, and I always run into the same issue:

When it’s time to connect the heart to the square, I never have enough stitches to join the ending of the heart.

~ I’ll try to attach pictures of the problem, in a comment~ in blue it’s where it’s lopsided, and in green where I’m missing stitches~

I’m supposed to create the corners at the bottom by doing a simple stitch, then a double, a treble, chain of two, then again a double and a treble (reversing the order on the way down) and in this place, I’m missing about 2 to 3 stitches every time I make them which makes the heart look lopsided in the heart.

Even though I’m a beginner, and I thought I was doing something wrong, my mother who is way better at knitting and crochet, tried to follow the tutorial with me and run into the same issue.

Would anyone happen to know it I can fix this in some way? I’d I’m doing something wrong or if I can tweak the pattern in some way so all the hearts end up centred.

Any help is appreciated, since I’ve watched the tutorial many times and can’t find the issue, because on the video it looks perfect.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Beatriescrochet
typo

2 answers to this question

1 minute ago, Beatriescrochet said:

Hello,

I am a beginner at crochet and I’ve been trying to follow Jayda inStitches tutorial from YouTube (

The first time I did it, the heart looks perfectly centred, but I’ve done about 9 more since then, and I always run into the same issue:

When it’s time to connect the heart to the square, I never have enough stitches to join the ending of the heart.

~ I’ll try to attach pictures of the problem, in a comment~ in blue it’s where it’s lopsided, and in green where I’m missing stitches~

I’m supposed to create the corners at the bottom by doing a simple stitch, then a double, a treble, chain of two, then again a double and a treble (reversing the order on the way down) and in this place, I’m missing about 2 to 3 stitches every time I make them which makes the heart look lopsided in the heart.

Even though I’m a beginner, and I thought I was doing something wrong, my mother who is way better at knitting and crochet, tried to follow the tutorial with me and run into the same issue.

Would anyone happen to know it I can fix this in some way? I’d I’m doing something wrong or if I can tweak the pattern in some way so all the hearts end up centred.

Any help is appreciated, since I’ve watched the tutorial many times and can’t find the issue, because on the video it looks perfect.

Thank you so much.

Here are two examples. The first picture (the one with only blue) it the first square I did, it looks good!

The second however, is how every heart has turned out since, in blue is where it doesn’t match up, and in green where I don’t have enough stitches.

At the top of the heart, I’m supposed to make 4 single stitches, I only have about 3 every time I try.

And at the bottom left, where I finish, I’m always missing 2 or more.

~ please take i to account that if I have explained something incorrectly in this posts, English is not my first language, but I have followed the tutorial step by step, and I can’t get it right. 

Again, any help I can get is welcome.

Thank you, 

Beatriz

5CCF3608-6955-4E33-A485-8195C117A837.jpeg

EE432684-0366-402A-AE62-4DEA496749E5.jpeg

I hate working patterns from Youtube without an accompanying written pattern.  On the shaping it looks like she really tugs and twists on the piece to shape it.  On being off on stitches make sure you are not working into the slip stitch---its easy when you get back around to it to mistake it for a stitch that you are supposed to work into.  Count and make sure you have the right number of stitches in each section of the heart especially the two places you put several stitches for the rounded parts (On the heart pattern I use I tend to make mistake there)