Help with a vintage pattern

Lilybet

Question

15 answers to this question

I've made a bunch of raglan pullover sweaters (and a cardigan, come to think of it).  Raglans (in my opinion) are the easiest and maybe a laziest way to make a sweater, the ones I've done have had no seams.  I've made them top down and bottom up, the yoke+body is in one piece and you come back later and add the sleeves directly into the armholes, you just pick up where you transitioned from the yoke to the body. The sleeves are just tubes from armpit down, the part that covers the arm from shoulder to armpit is the bottom edge of the yoke.

In spite of that, your pattern is not clear to me, either.  Raglans have no raglan shaping in the sleeve area.  Unless it is made in pieces and seamed?  

Is the sweater made with the stitches going across the body, or vertically?  "Still work up and down" sounds like it might be worked vertically, which makes no sense (to me) for a raglan.  There are sweaters worked 'cuff to cuff', so the outline looks like a plus sign + before you fold it across the shoulders and sew seams on each from underarm to hem, but then that's not a raglan.

Is the pattern on the 'net somewhere, or a photo of the finished item?  Maybe we could suggest a similar looking pattern that is written more clearly.  What yarn weight/hook size does your pattern use?

Thank you so much for looking - and I’m really glad it’s not just me!

I’ve made raglan cardigans with the yoke method but this pattern is seamed.

I’ve made the back and front and they are made vertically in a hdc stitch, and the picture looks like the sleeves should be the same but then the 11 chain didn’t make sense.... and how does it become 22 and 92?! 

It uses a double knit, I’m using king Cole price wise 100g acrylic as a tester.

Thank you again, really appreciate it!

7C94A538-739D-42C0-8545-C357327E0910.png

Ah, so it is seamed--that was the only way raglan shaping on the sleeve made sense, but I'm still not following the rest of it.  And the photo's sweater color and hair style looks to have been taken about when I was in High School. :lol 

Does the pattern have a schematic with measurements, that shows the sleeve outline shape (something like this I'd think \_/ ) and the measurements across the wrist and top, and height for the various sizes?  If I were in this predicament, I think I'd cut out a paper pattern-shape for the size I was making, and work the sleeve in the HDC rib pattern to match the paper outline.  

If not...it is going to be hard to find a stitch pattern that looks so much like knit, if that is what attracted you to this pattern.  This yarn looks like it is DK weight, I'll look to see if I can find a pattern that's close.

Edited by Granny Square

Ooh, I will have a look at that, thank you! Trying to teach myself Tunisian as well.

There no schematic unfortunately, only the text. Think I’m just going to have to have a lot of trial runs to see if I can finish it.

Thank you so much for your help though, really appreciate it! Will let you know if I can work it out eventually!

I haven't done much Tunisian myself.  There is a Tunisian knit stitch, which really does look like knit stockinette, but it is bulkier than a 'real knit' made in the same yarn (just the nature of the way the stitch is made).  Maybe not a bad thing tho if you are looking for a warm sweater.

Or if you are really adventurous, there is such a thing as 'knooking' which is actually following a knitting pattern and making real knit stitches, but with a crochet hook with a 'string' at the back end that serves as the second needle (knits and purls are almost the same as crochet slip stitches, but with different rules).  I tried knooking and was 'meh' because I already knit and 'missed' the feel of the second needle, but I'm positive there are LOTS of free patterns in knit that look like your vintage pattern, made by the no-seam variety I described.

knooking?! That sounds interesting! Have to dig into that a bit. It’s not particularly a knit style I was looking for though.

thanks again! I don’t know other crocheters so it’s really nice to have support here. Thank you!

You are welcome! Just for fun, I did the same search except dropped the 'unisex' and got more hits.

I'm not sure how it works if you are not a member of Ravelry, I think this link may not retain the  search parameters I chose if you aren't a member, but this should at least get you to the page where you can do your own search. Parameters I used were free, crochet, pullover, sleeves, DK weight yarn, and language=English or universal.  The the choice categories are along the left side, I didn't enter anything in the search box at the the top but you could try that.  

Only 1 is worked vertically like yours but it's in a stich pattern that I don't think would look 'vertical' by itself in a solid color (but it looks nice in the striped example). "Weekend snuggle" looks close-ish to yours, but is drop-sleeve--easy shaping but seamed.

Hello Granny Square!

I’ve been trying to work this out, refuse to be beaten and eventually drew the rows. I think, maybe, it makes sense now, kind of. I haven’t tried to crochet it yet so it might not but....

what do you think? The scale is obviously off but....

thanks

6BDCA6DE-4C69-47B2-BB63-DCFDD731BB56.jpeg

6 hours ago, Lilybet said:

Hello Granny Square!

I’ve been trying to work this out, refuse to be beaten and eventually drew the rows. I think, maybe, it makes sense now, kind of. I haven’t tried to crochet it yet so it might not but....

what do you think? The scale is obviously off but....

thanks

6BDCA6DE-4C69-47B2-BB63-DCFDD731BB56.jpeg

Ok it does make more sense now but I dont like how the pattern says

Continue in raglan decrease as back til 92 stitches

You might find this very trying to reach

Bgs, that 'trying to reach' bugged me when I first saw it too, as well as near the top it says 'the decrease on the sleeve rather trying' makes no sense whatsoever.

Lilybet, you deserve a medal for figuring that out; I never thought of a raglan sleeve from cuff to shoulder looking like that, but then I never made one vertically or pieced before-- however seeing it, it makes perfect sense.  Top down or bottom up and not pieced, the sleeve is armpit down, and the part that covers the  arm, armpit up, is part of the yoke.

I’ve no idea if it’s correct yet, when I put yarn to hook I’ll find out and let you know! The last thing you want to see in a pattern is “you might find this very trying”! 🤪

It would be more informative if you could show here even a rough sketch of what is going to be achieved. I am from https://worldcams.tv/united-states/galveston/beaches, and I follow many sites devoted to crocheting. And you cannot imagine how many mistakes I meet sometimes. So here, it can be just some wrong information, and therefore it has confused you.

Edited by drioeor