Help… I don’t get it!!

Joey88

Question

Can someone tell me what this means?? 
 1tr in 4th ch from hook, 1tr in next 3ch, [3ch, skip 1ch, 1tr in next 5ch] 42 times in total, 3ch, skip 1ch, 1tr in next 4ch, end colour and do not turn. It’s in uk term.. and start of a temperature blanket

7 answers to this question

Welcome to the 'ville!

So you have made a long chain, and you make the first tr in the 4th chain from the hook - the loop ON the hook does not count.  These leaves 3 unused chains, which is the 'turning chain' that brings you up to the level of a UKTR, and counts as a stitch.

[3ch, skip 1ch, 1tr in next 5ch]:  make 3 chains, skip 1 chain of the foundation chain (this is OK, and normal - you cannot put a chain IN a stitch, and the 3 chains in the air will form a ^ shape "in the air"; you are making a sort of lacy looking fabric).  After the 3 chains in the air and the 1 skipped chain of the foundation chain, make 1 treble into each of the next 5 foundation chains.  Repeat all that stuff that was inside the [ ] another 41 times, as it said to do it 42 times total.  

After the [ ] stuff above it says 3ch, skip 1ch, 1tr in next 4ch, end colour and do not turn--1 tr in the next 4 chains means 1 treble in each of the next 4 chains.  As far as 'end color', I'm not sure if you are meant to cut the color, or carry it across the back side, or work over it tapestry style, but either way you will be starting a new color (presumably) with the next stitch.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that..

now the next row.?? I’m not sure about “not turning”?? It seems very awkward to do!

“With the daily high temperature colour, join in first st of last row, 1ch, 1dc in next 3 sts, [skip 1 st, (1tr, 2ch, 1tr) in skipped ch on foundation row, skip 1 st, 1dc in next 3 sts] 43 times in total, end colour and do not turn.”

I am guessing here...does the blanket have a fringe on each side?  This would be a logical (or lazy) way to deal with a temp blanket, so there would be no ends to weave in--you'd just have long tails that you would trim evenly when it was all done.  There is a so-called 'Navajo blanket' pattern that has you always working with the same side facing that is done this way; you work in the back loop(BLO) of each SC stitch across, never turn, and just cut the end each row and always keep the same side facing you (edit, measure a length, say 6", and try to keep them the same length - but long enough so that if you do have to trim at the end, you have room do so).  Working in the back loop of the stitch is a key element here, if you don't turn the blanket will skew /   /  , working BLO keeps the sides |   | .  So when you have finished a row, don't turn, trim the yarn and go back to the beginning end and re-attach it, and make the first stitch into the first stitch of the prior row. 

Link to the blanket I was talking about, just to see what the fringe looks like, ignore the raised stitches.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1

You are welcome, glad you worked it out.  Had to giggle at the suggested temp color range, I'd need a lot more colors for where I am (colder winters and hotter summers), my area is already "off the chart" for the suggested summer high temps.