in search of a certain pattern

celiagracie

Question

hello! i bought this shirt awhile ago before i knew how to crochet but it ended up being too big and i couldn’t return it so it just sat in my closet for awhile. i’d love to try and remake it now so it would be more my size but i can’t find a pattern for it anywhere. i was hoping someone could either tell me how to make it or knew where i could find a pattern for it somewhere.

D050443F-E23F-4823-9741-F2BCF57E7FB6.jpeg

8DBE64F2-917C-4C68-9B68-6822AC29DF04.jpeg

7 answers to this question

Just wanted to check in to say I looked but didn't find this exact item, which doesn't surprise me if this was a purchased item the manufacturer wouldn't want to share their "trade secrets."

I wonder if it would look reasonable and help the fit if you made another 'tie' like the one at the bottom, and threaded it thru the open meshes just under the top edging?  Or, in a straight line of meshes under the bust, or both?  You could test the reasonableness of either of those quickly with a length of yarn.

Or, am I seeing seams along the sides?  Can you pick out the seams, and re-seam to take it in, maybe folding it so the taken-in part isn't too wide? Test it first by folding it and pinning it and see what it looks like; if you think about it, if you pinch an inch of fabric on each side of you on whatever top you have on now - that's 'taking it in' 4" total (1" front, 1" back on the right side, and the same on the left).

Good finds! 

That Garnstudio one has the string under the bust as I was trying to describe; I wonder if the OP could just try moving that string-tie from the hem to the under-bust and see how it looks/fits? 

It's too bad it would be hard to match the original thread (you would be surprised how many shades of whiter there are), but moving the tie up and adding ribbing to the original's hem might work to improve the fit.   Maybe...add a round of SC in a contrast color around the lace at the neck and armholes, move the tie to the under-bust, and add a narrow round of ribbing at the hem in the contrast color?  

video - how to add ribbing to existing fabric

On 5/16/2021 at 1:42 PM, Granny Square said:

Just wanted to check in to say I looked but didn't find this exact item, which doesn't surprise me if this was a purchased item the manufacturer wouldn't want to share their "trade secrets."

I wonder if it would look reasonable and help the fit if you made another 'tie' like the one at the bottom, and threaded it thru the open meshes just under the top edging?  Or, in a straight line of meshes under the bust, or both?  You could test the reasonableness of either of those quickly with a length of yarn.

Or, am I seeing seams along the sides?  Can you pick out the seams, and re-seam to take it in, maybe folding it so the taken-in part isn't too wide? Test it first by folding it and pinning it and see what it looks like; if you think about it, if you pinch an inch of fabric on each side of you on whatever top you have on now - that's 'taking it in' 4" total (1" front, 1" back on the right side, and the same on the left).

thank you for the help. it’s actually the straps that makes it too big and i don’t think theres a way to make it shorter without cutting them which wouldn’t work anyways. i have seen a few blogs from people who have made this same top but they all seem to be in other languages. it seems other versions definitely exist somewhere, just odd no one has shared a pattern yet. i could try searching for similar ones and piecing them all together too.

I fell in love with a spider stitch bolero years ago. It was in a Panda collection book. I found a copy in Australia.  Probably the most I’ve paid in pursuit. 😁

I haven’t seen any cropped tanks like that. Looks custom but something I could recreate because I would break it down to simplify then focus on the shell stitches and spider stitch center.   Love that garnstudio top Brenda.

You could find a cropped v neck tank top pattern then add the shell edging and spider stitch. Keep it simple. The front and back of tank top can be same stitch. 
Btw you can shorten those straps. 

PS  share the url and we can help you decipher the language instructions 

Edited by NCcountrygal
Remove wrong url

How much too big is it at the straps?  Do you have any sewing pins, or safety pins might  work too I guess.  I bought a couple of (Walmart) tank tops a while back without trying them on;l I carry a measuring tape in my purse, the width measurement was OK so I bought them.  

Unfortunately, the armholes ended up too deep for my taste; I folded them over at the top seam (shoulder) and sewed a new seam, didn't take them apart and trim before sewing.  Made a slightly thick-ish seam but not outrageously so.  It can't hurt to try this on your top and see if it looks OK to you.