What is this direction talking about????

splent2112

Question

I have NO idea how to do this... I am good up to hdc in next 7ch, but then I'm lost.

Rnd 1: Ch 9, hdc in 2nd ch from hook, hdc in next 7ch, 3 hdc in same ch as last, turn 180 deg, sc in next 7ch, join to first hdc.

I don't know what they mean with same ch as last, and then for turn 180 degrees, does this mean like turn around or turn upside down? And to make it tougher, this is with two different colors of yarn being crocheted at the same time.

9 answers to this question

Sounds like you turn it and work back down the chain like when working an oval.

https://www.ehow.com/how_2093630_crochet-basic-oval-shape.html

I think the same chain as last means put those 3 hdc into the same chain as the chain the 7th hdc went into.  It could have said hdc in next 6 ch and then make 4hdc in last chain.  All those stitches in the last chain makes the turn and you work back the other side.

You are making an oval. 

Oops, Bgs just posted and  beat me to describing it.  This transaction is a little mind-bending the first time you do it.  It might not be a bad idea to find a youtube video on how to crochet an oval, seeing it might help - the stitch count in any video will vary, but the concept is the same - the mind bending part is working into the loops on the underside of the chain that you did not use on the first 'normal' pass.

OK. I'm on the final row of this oval... it's supposed to end up sort of cloud like so it has a bunch of random directions and stitches, all that are pretty straightforward, except when it tells me to for example chain 5 and then skip the chains. Am I supposed to skip the next 5 stitches, or am I supposed to go to the next stitch with it just not doing anything with the chains? 

Is there a link to what the cloud looks like on the 'net somewhere?  ("when in doubt, look at the pattern photo" is one of my mottos...)

My thoughts -

(1) Chain 5 would be in the current round, and 'skip chains' typically mean skipping chains in the prior round.  But there are exceptions, snowflakes for example are mostly chains that double back on each other (chain 8, slip stitch in the 4th chain, chain 6, slst in the 3rd chain...)

(2) Unless it is a big picot, where after making a stitch that is not a chain (example a hdc like in your oval), you chain at least 3 and slip stitch into the top of the hdc the chain came out of.