Pattern/technique help

Samantha R.

Question

Hello!

I am stuck on a pattern for amigurumi on round 28 for Ollie the Corgi in Zoomigurumi: the pattern is ch 18 (mark the first ch, this is the beginning of your next round), start in second ch from the hook, sc in next 17 ch, (sc in next 3 st, inc in next st) repeat 5 times, sc in next 4 st [63]; the previous round stitch count was 24. I haven't done this technique before of extending out from the round. if there is a youtube video that I can be sent to to watch someone do the technique it would be awesome. I am not sure how to search it to find what I am looking for. I appreciate any help! Thanks, Samantha R. 

12 answers to this question

It is difficult to help with limited info given and being unfamiliar with the pattern and it feels like the info given to us is incomplete ---round not written out exactly and in its entirety as the numbers do not seem to add up.  Its also hard not knowing what part of the dog you are working this round onto.  Like maybe have you done the head and are at the neck ready to add the back.  I can see the chain 18 becoming the back..  You reach the point on the back of the  neck and literally just chain 18.  Then sc the 17 back to the neck, then continue crocheting around neck side , front, other side.  This brings you to back of neck where now you crochet down the other side of the chain.  Its just the numbers and limited info given do not support this theory.  

• Thanks 1

Actually, the stitch instruction itself is clear (in my opinion), BUT it should have said something like "start of xyz shaping" to orient you to what's going on.  When I encounter a peculiar instruction that is not obviously a typo I usually follow it, it is more often correct than not, just a peculiar/new-to-me way to shape something.  

The clue was "extending out from the round".  This reminds me of an inquiry here about another toy (a llama) few months ago where the head and neck were worked in the round, and then mid-back neck you made a long chain that became the llama's 'spine' which was worked around in an oval, along 1 side of the chain to the tail, making a turn and using the unused loops on the underside of the chain work back to where you started along the chain/spine, and then around the 'neck hole' and back to the oval, etc. to form the body.

If I'm right, this explains why you went from a small stitch count (neck only) to a really long stitch count of neck plus 2 sides of the body.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Actually, the stitch instruction itself is clear (in my opinion), BUT it should have said something like "start of xyz shaping" to orient you to what's going on.  When I encounter a peculiar instruction that is not obviously a typo I usually follow it, it is more often correct than not, just a peculiar/new-to-me way to shape something.  

The clue was "extending out from the round".  This reminds me of an inquiry here about another toy (a llama) few months ago where the head and neck were worked in the round, and then mid-back neck you made a long chain that became the llama's 'spine' which was worked around in an oval, along 1 side of the chain to the tail, making a turn and using the unused loops on the underside of the chain work back to where you started along the chain/spine, and then around the 'neck hole' and back to the oval, etc. to form the body.

If I'm right, this explains why you went from a small stitch count (neck only) to a really long stitch count of neck plus 2 sides of the body.

I think thats what going on too but not sure because the instructions given us is missing the 17 stitches it takes to work the other side. If I add up the number of stitches that the instructions given us tells us to make I count 46.  Stitch count given is 63.  Difference is 17 the number it takes to work other side.

• Thanks 1

Well, fooey, I didn't do the math and skimmed over the increases (which upon re-reading the detail don't make sense); I focused on "was 24, is now 63"; 24 + 17 +17 + 5 to turn the corner at the rear end of the dog sounded roughly reasonable and is 63 stitches.  

Assuming the neck was 24: below adds what the pattern said after the 18 chains, in steps, with the # of stitches in each step bolded:

sc in next 17 ch,  17 (this uses up 1 side of the chain)

(sc in next 3 st, inc in next st) repeat 5 times, (each repeat uses 4 stitches and creates 5).  Now, does it mean repeat 5 MORE repeats for a total of 6 iterations, or 4 more repeats for a total of 5 iterations?  And why are you increasing at one of the corgi's sides? and those increases can't be on the corgi's side, if you have only 16 or 17 chain-undersides ahead of you, but need 20 chains (the minimum needed for a total of 5 iterations, which would give you the 5 stitches to get to 63 stitches)...

If it means 6 iterations ... 24 (the number of stitches I'm assuming is the neck) is 4 x 6.  Each iteration uses 4 and adds 1.  Maybe there are NO increases at the tail end.  Maybe the designer did make an error and forgot to tell you to work back to the neck using the underside of the chain, in other words 17 stitches up, 17 back...and there are 6 total iteration of the ( ) stuff, putting the increases in the neck/shoulder area--the shoulders seem a reasonable place to increase a few stitches versus 1 side of the dog. 

A (small) problem... is this will make the total stitch count 64 not 63  (24 + 17 +17 + 6, not 5).  And I'm totally guessing...is there a link to the Corgi pattern on the net so we can see the end item?  Is his rear sort of square and his chest/shoulders filled out a little starting at the backbone level? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Granny Square said:

Well, fooey, I didn't do the math and skimmed over the increases (which upon re-reading the detail don't make sense); I focused on "was 24, is now 63"; 24 + 17 +17 + 5 to turn the corner at the rear end of the dog sounded roughly reasonable and is 63 stitches.  

Assuming the neck was 24: below adds what the pattern said after the 18 chains, in steps, with the # of stitches in each step bolded:

sc in next 17 ch,  17 (this uses up 1 side of the chain)

(sc in next 3 st, inc in next st) repeat 5 times, (each repeat uses 4 stitches and creates 5).  Now, does it mean repeat 5 MORE repeats for a total of 6 iterations, or 4 more repeats for a total of 5 iterations?  And why are you increasing at one of the corgi's sides? and those increases can't be on the corgi's side, if you have only 16 or 17 chain-undersides ahead of you, but need 20 chains (the minimum needed for a total of 5 iterations, which would give you the 5 stitches to get to 63 stitches)...

If it means 6 iterations ... 24 (the number of stitches I'm assuming is the neck) is 4 x 6.  Each iteration uses 4 and adds 1.  Maybe there are NO increases at the tail end.  Maybe the designer did make an error and forgot to tell you to work back to the neck using the underside of the chain, in other words 17 stitches up, 17 back...and there are 6 total iteration of the ( ) stuff, putting the increases in the neck/shoulder area--the shoulders seem a reasonable place to increase a few stitches versus 1 side of the dog. 

A (small) problem... is this will make the total stitch count 64 not 63  (24 + 17 +17 + 6, not 5).  And I'm totally guessing...is there a link to the Corgi pattern on the net so we can see the end item?  Is his rear sort of square and his chest/shoulders filled out a little starting at the backbone level? 

Its in a publication Zoomigurumi 10 but here is a link with the photo.

http://www.littlemuggles.com/ollie-the-corgi/

I cant get passed  rectifying the stitch count for this round let alone trying to account for stitches used in previous round.

• Thanks 1

That is the CUTEST dog!  It does look like there are indeed increases in the shoulder/chest area, and they appear to start around where the the neck meets the back spine.

I hear ya on your last sentence, if my second interpretation is close to being right that was a major goof (leaving off the part about returning to the neck).  I wish the math of my theory hadn't been off 1 stitch...

• Thanks 1

Looking at the pattern photo above, I think what I guessed above was 'close-ish"--you can see the chest forming on the right side (would look more chest-like if you flipped it the other way, from this point of view the feet would eventually be pointing up at you)

Edited by Granny Square
  • Thanks 1