How can I understand this round?

Hitomi

Question

Hello, I’d really appreciate if you could help me out...

I have a bit of troublesome which is causing me a huge headache..

For the first time, I'm using a crochet instruction written in English.

It says,

1 hdc, inc (2 hdc, Inc) 8 times, 1 hdc

Would you tell me what it is telling me to do, please?

Thank you in advance! 

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville, Hitomi!

"1 hdc, inc (2 hdc, Inc) 8 times, 1 hdc"

Usually, if a pattern says some number of stitches, and does not tell you where to put the stitches, it means 1 stitch into each one of the next (what ever number) of stitches.  So "1 hdc" means "1 hdc into the next 1 stitch".  If it had said "10 hdc" instead for example, it would mean 1 stitch into each of the next 10 stitches.

Inc usually means increase, typically 2 stitches into 1 stitch.

"(2 hdc, Inc) 8 times" -- Usually the * symbol marks a repeat, but sometimes a (  ) indicates does as well, so this means: "1 hdc into each of the next 2 stitches, increase in the following stitch; do this a total of 8 times."

Aww I was really lucky to have found this forum! Thank you for teaching me how to do it. I really appreciate it, and now I understand what it meant. This is great, thank you so much! Xxx

Edited by Hitomi

5 hours ago, Hitomi said:

Aww I was really lucky to have found this forum! Thank you for teaching me how to do it. I really appreciate it, and now I understand what it meant. This is great, thank you so much! Xxx

Dont forget to come back and show us your project.  We love seeing everyones work.