granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, pineknott said:

good evening

most of the morning  I was on the phone to Ortho, asking why they did'nt get back to me yesterday, anyway knee is still locked up.have an appt. on Monday

went out the library at the far reaches till you are just about to cross the James River bridge, okay since we are from all over, have a question anyone know of or have you eaten pawpaw fruit??, I was so darn excited till I found out it takes 4-8 yrs to produce fruit, this was available at the library,good thing I got red peppers and cucumbers

I tell you the things you learn, anyone know the history of PEZ

the slogan went something like smoking is verboten, but Pezing is allowed

I have sampled pawpaws but it has been so long ago.  They grow on  small understory trees that grow in the wild in the woodland parts of the state.   Thats why it takes a few years to bear fruit.  They say it tastes like a cross between a banana and mango. I cant remember.   Never had them on a regular basis.  Dad would pull them off a tree while we were in the woods and tell me to try it.  

I have more experience with persimmons.  

Edited by bgs

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Still on a cross stitch kick. I couldnt bring my large project to Orlando so I started a smaller , more portable , project. Hamtaro is a childhood favorite of my kids. So I made this for my younger so

Posted Images

ahhh..Pawpaws. yes! My Grandparents all lived in an area in WV that was on PawPaw Creek, and once a year they still have the Pawpaw fair, I am sure many a child in the coal camps got their Vitamin C from PawPaws!

CShort, yes, feeling much better...I really think it was the MSG that got to me

Lyn, I love little facts like that, right now I am listening to an audio book about one theory that Lyndon Johnson killed Kennedy, very compelling.

good morning

Pez was a peppermint candy invented in Austria as a stop smoking aid back in 1927,it came to the US in the 50's, here the dispensers with the different character heads were born and took off,  in the 70's they started having PEZ  conventions

Lea, I love all stories dealing with " Camelot" that clan has always fascinated me

let me know the name and author

right now we are reading The Clover Girls by Viola Shipman

have an enjoyable day

Posted (edited)

A very very very long week we had already. On Tuesday the company came to take pictures of our roof. Didn't tell me and came after 6pm . Before she left she said will be back in the morning  between 7-8 and just scurried off. So Happy Freaking Birthday to me on Wednesday at 7 am pounding on the roof. I woke with a migraine  and it continued  to get worse as the day went. The pups barked almost none Stop for hours. Just Freaking wonderful.  At one point I went out front 3 times and haulted the work in the yard so I could take fur babies potty. Then came back in fed them and back to 🔨 hammering above. Damn I needed more than prayers aT this time. I thought I was going to lose it. Then my children started showing up. I'll be honest  I wanted the day to end every one gone ... took fur babies potty and went to my bed. I didn't sleep well but I DID NOT GET UP!!!

GOT UP AT 6 am Thursday  to repeat the day. By the time they were gone about 8 pm I was beyond exhausted  and went to bed. I did not sleep hardly at all. Back up again this morning  cause I couldn't sleep but thankful no pounding. They are finished. If I wasn't already living on a prayer for the old roof I would of kept it. But it was worse than I thought. I'm so happy it's over.

Edited by owlvamp
  • Like 1

See now I grew up in the city and we got all our veggies and fruits from the grocery or road stand.  BUT< BUT< BUT I do not care what you say, you must taste a Jersey Tomato in Sept to find out what a great tomato taste like.  We use to eat them like apples.  Best ones are on the road side stands.

I just looked up the paw paw and that is one ugly looking fruit, inside and out.

They have been working here all day. on the pavers.  They are suppose to finish up today, but don't think that is going to happen.  We shall see.

So I thought I would stop in say Hi and see what is going on.

Another cloudy day and feels like it could rain anytime.  We havent seen much of the sun since last Sat and then it was only for a few minutes.  Its going to be very humid here when it does pop out.  Our tropical trees will love that.  Went to store this morning so have been cutting up veggies and working on laundry.  June 1 a lot of things at the Village are going to go back like they were precovid-----pools and fitness centers hours, restaurants, and activities.  Still no word on letting Village church meet though.  

So Mary Jo are you taking out grass and putting in pavers for a patio? I love homegrown tomatoes and when they were plentiful like you ate them like apples.  Would love to taste a Jersey tomato in Sept.  

Sandra sounds like it was one rough day followed by another but hallelujah its now behind you.  Scheduled to spend my birthday with the dentist for the first of two crown preps.   Not going to be happy if that does not stop the jaw pain I have been having.

Okay Brenda, remind me of your birthdate?

Sandra I am so sorry, although you did get a new roof for your birthday..LOL... Belated happy Birthday!!

So I woke up today and thought I would have a nice day to relax and putter around by myself, but when I got out of bed dh told me I needed to take him to look at a truck..... 6 hours later he has a new truck and I missed a nap...

Posted (edited)

great here, no complaints, just doing my thing, finished a ghan this am, then started to edge 100 4 inch knit squares and turn them into 6 inch lol  10 down 90 to go lol  not sure if i will edge this ghan, , i will let it sit a couple days, till i decide lol  

DSC00356.JPG

Edited by katyallen8090
  • Like 1

Happy Friday!!!!!

This was a very loooooong week, but it's done. No plans for tonight and tomorrow is just grocery shopping and stuff around the house. Sunday is my granddaughter's dance recital.

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, cshort said:

Happy Friday!!!!!

This was a very loooooong week, but it's done. No plans for tonight and tomorrow is just grocery shopping and stuff around the house. Sunday is my granddaughter's dance recital.

Have a great weekend everyone!

I just love those grandchild recitals and sports events.... ENJOY!!

5 hours ago, bgs said:

June 1 a lot of things at the Village are going to go back like they were precovid-----pools and fitness centers hours, restaurants, and activities.  Still no word on letting Village church meet though.  

So Mary Jo are you taking out grass and putting in pavers for a patio? I love homegrown tomatoes and when they were plentiful like you ate them like apples.  Would love to taste a Jersey tomato in Sept.  

It is great to see everyone is starting to go back.  Our Gov. just signed an order to allow a no-tax day/week(?) on outdoor sports and entertainments.  This is so cool.  We always have on right before school starts.

Now a Jersey Tomato is a beef steak tomato grown in the toxic soil of New Jersey.  There is a taste that can not be duplicated.  They say it is because of all the trash that has been dumped off the Jersey shore.:rofl:jumpyay

Lots of things that we grew up with are now no good. for you now.  Water out of the sink, asbestos reigning down from the ceiling in High School.  Campbell soup was made in the center of the town I grew up in.  Hey we even drank out of the hose.  Just to name a few.

• Haha 1

Good Morning.  I forgot to answer Brenda yesterday.  Yes I had a strip of grass in the back, that you could cut with a weed whacker.  So not necessary.  It will now be stones, mulch and pavers.  Still can't get a good look at them. 

Beautiful day and since there is a hockey game at noon today, they are telling everyone to take their chairs and sit in the sun and enjoy our weather.😊 

Weatherman was bold and forecasted 100% chance of rain today so another cloudy damp day here.  He also had the audacity to say our chances for rain this coming week were greater than it was for this past week.  Thank heavens this was not snow!

Mary Jo sounds like a nice landscaping project.  I hope they get you rehabbed so you can get out and see it.  And as for toxic ---remembering how much fun it was playing with the mercury when a thermometer broke.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Oh yeah, playing with mercury when the thermometer broke, a wonder we are all mot dead....!!

I would still do it today but maybe put on gloves first.

• Like 1

Well, all the pavers are set.  They will come back Wednesday and fix the mulch and stones.  The pavers and edging around the front have to settle, before they can cover it with mulch and stones.  What I can see is real pretty.

As soon as my friend comes over, we will have him take pictures and show you the before and after.

Oh and I finally started on the afghan.  I have the graph and have decided to do it in tan with DK brown outline.  Of course there will be some white in the eyes, but I can't wait to see it done.

Back to the hockey game we are winning 6-2 no matter how many penalties the refs give us.

Hey have a great day and when you get a chance, send the rain down here.  It is just missing us..

• Like 1

nice and sunny here so far but so heavy humidity, must  be gonna rain soon lol  I never ate tomatoes growing up, hated them, but now I  tolerate them on a whopper now and then lol  or a chicken teriyaki sub sandwich lol very little else lol  although handy adds diced tomatoes in his sloppy joes, or chilli and i eat that?? Go figure huh lol 

well, i will unfurl that ghan one more time, and decide about border or no borders lol  maybe tomorrow lol  

worked on some cute squares today, i always like to add a couple i make to the ghans, lol, just a marking habit, thank goodness i dont urinate  on it like animals lol  that might not be good lol  😬😵

lawn got weed eated, ans mowed this am, looks nice now.  the birds come on in after the mowing to eat the buggies that  were in the lawn..  eat away, take them all, you know  lol

been watching a lot of netflix, and nova, and nat geo, and history channels, so much to learn its fascinating  lol  well bout all thats new, see ya soon!!

🐦🐦🐛

• Like 1

Everyone has their likes and dislikes.

I've never lost my love of fresh tomatoes.  We used to have the big ones as snacks as kids.  Later I was introduced to the various cherry sized tomatoes and some of those are as sweet as candy.

We grew the cherry tomatoes here for several years but we could never get the larger tomatoes to ripen for some reason.  We'd be giving the cherries away to the neighbors but the larger tomatoes always had issues.

DH picked up a small watermelon and cantaloupe while he was out.  Oddly wasn't a huge fan as a child but now that I'm older I do love how refreshing and hydrating melons are on a hot summer day.

Katy, yes, a very sophisticated way of marking your ghans...😂🤣

Bailey, I can only do cooked tomatoes or on some days the little grape tomatoes, just have never gotten use to the texture of a tomato, my mom use to fix them for me with sugar to try and get me to eat a raw tomato... just wasn't happening.

Hubby LOVES "mater" sandwiches with mayo, salt and pepper....

• Like 1

As I've gotten older my body has an issue with corn.  However, in the summer I make an exception for fresh corn on the cob and I can make a meal of corn on the cob and a tomato. 

I'll have tomatoes in salads and stuff out of season, but eating them as a snack is only a fresh summer time treat.

My dad always had a vegetable garden. Tomatoes galore, but I dont care for raw tomatoes, only cooked. My dad used to eat cherry tomatoes and diced onions with a bit of olive oil as a side with dinner.

• Like 1

Good Morning everyone.  Another beautiful day.

You guys are making me hungry with tomato sandwiches and tomatoes with onions with olive oil and vinegar.  Let's not forget the BLT.  Yum.

Hope everyone has some nice plans for today.

Have a great day.