granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

Lea: That is indeed the cake you described, minus the nuts. I've included the link for the recipe I use now. I lost my GM's recipe from when I was a kid and this one is pretty close. My dad didn't lik

Catalogues: Anyone remember Spiegel's? My mom especially loved that one. She would order all of our school clothes from that one and Montgomery Wards. There was a huge Montgomery Wards store not too f

Posted Images

with the mask mandate being lifted, how is it in your state ?

here in our area, most people are still wearing them,even tho I had both doses, its going to be a while till I give up  my mask

MA announced today not lifting mandate.  Still seeing masks inside stores but covered for a neighbor at the bus stop and nobody had masks on outside.  I walked down without one because I find it hard to breathe with it on and there was no issue social distancing with nobody on the street.  I ended up not wearing it as nobody else had one one except the kids getting off the school bus.  It's good to be done with the shots.

Our Gov just lifted the mask mandate for all folks vaccinated. Can't go anywhere without gas so hope our little town gets some soon, scared to travel out much  until the pumps are flowing again.

Did  get my hair done today, yesterday was a doc appt.

MJ, glad you are feeling better but so sorry about yesterday... I think the bar is a good idea you should do one for the shower, if you fell in there all your bits and pieces would be out for the world to see when EMS came to help you up...:)

I am making reuseable water balloons for the grands for summer, that will keep me busy for a bit!

• Haha 1

Not getting in the shower till I am totally steady.  For now it is a wash at the sink.

Thanks for the laugh about the water balloons.  Never knew you could make reusable ones.

Our state has had no mask needed outside if you were vaccinated.  The rest of the country is catching up to Florida and Texas.  We still need them in the Dr. office and the stores, but once you leave, you are FREE.

Bill Mahr, thinks of himself as a comedian, says he had both shots and now he has COVID, so get ready.

• Like 1

Our state never had a mask mandate.  It was left up to each county, city, or business which has made it confusing as hell.  Each city has been lifting the mandate one by one and now our county has.  June 1st they are opening lots of things back up with no masks letting non residents in to do more things.  There are some instances they were requiring masks but this was printed before the county lifted their mandate. 

Lea can you get by with a camp stove  hot plate, microwave, and crockpot til you move.  I have a hotplate, camp stove, and crockpot I could loan you.

Katy my posts here are going poof any time I back space to correct a letter.  It has become very frustrating.  I have started copying them to my clipboard before making corrections.  Sometimes I just give up.  Sometimes the dialogue box opens but it wont let me type.

Mary Jo Mary Jo what a day you had.

Happy Friday!!!!!!!

Mary Jo, I hope you're having a better day today.

I'm not sure what my county is doing about masks since I haven't seen the news for a couple of days. We're still wearing them in school. My granddaughter's class was on quarantine today and doing school virtually from home because the teacher had a positive covid test. The email from the school said the health department would be contacting the parents but my daughter hasn't been contacted so we don't know if the kids need to be tested. I have the news on now and it sounds like some businesses here are not requiring masks but most people are still wearing them. I think I will keep wearing mine.

Ok I guess that's enough rambling. Have a great evening.

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Lea can you get by with a camp stove  hot plate, microwave, and crockpot til you move.  I have a hotplate, camp stove, and crockpot I could loan you.

I have all of the above including a gas grill and a solar oven, years ago we considered ourselves bonafide homsteaders, but age is catching up...do I want to go to lunch with my friends, crochet, read, or set up a sun oven , etc...I'm just lazy the older I get, shame on me.

If I can find a good used one, if not, no since buying a new fangled stove if we are moving.

I am trying to talk dh into a free standing townhome, I found one I LOVE, he says we need more land (??????),  nope, I'm pushing hard for that one.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, minwifeof4boys said:

I have all of the above including a gas grill and a solar oven, years ago we considered ourselves bonafide homsteaders, but age is catching up...do I want to go to lunch with my friends, crochet, read, or set up a sun oven , etc...I'm just lazy the older I get, shame on me.

If I can find a good used one, if not, no since buying a new fangled stove if we are moving.

I am trying to talk dh into a free standing townhome, I found one I LOVE, he says we need more land (??????),  nope, I'm pushing hard for that one.

Darn it!  I am getting so sick of my posts disappearing here when I go back to make corrections.

Lea if I remember correctly you do the mowing?  You must stop and leave it for him.  No more I'll do it cause he works.  I can relate on missing his green space though.  I was lucky to have more green space here than most because of the 4th green of the golf course as my back yard.

We went thru the not wanting to replace things cause we were moving.  My dryer was pretty worthless by the time we moved.  I think I could have dried them faster with a hair dryer.  I hung clothes on hangers in the tree when the clothesline broke.  

Dh is one that wanted to move for years but he was looking at more land farther away.  I told him to look around.  I had seen too many retire and move out to an acreage and the upkeep was too much.  Husbands generally died and there she was off away from friends and family and a place she couldnt take care of by herself.  I got him to hang at old place until he finally saw the light and wanted to move to a senior place.  I didnt want to deal with 2 moves and dug in for as long as I could. I had just moved out there with him in 97  He had been there since 80. Moving is a lot of work and I was going to have to do most all of it with little help from him.

Back in my youth I was sort of ok with roughing it but older I got I realized how much I really loved electricity, ac, running water, hot water, indoor potty, etc.  Lea cannot tell you how great it is to stand at my window and watch the guys work-- mowing, trimming bushes, shoveling snow.  We wave as we head out for lunch, pool, prayershawl, dulcimer etc.  Even better is I am free of the hours in the plumbing aisle.  Dh hated doing plumbing and it hated him right back. Its been such a relief to pick up the phone and call in a work order.  It was weird at first calling for someone to change light bulbs and furnace filter but I got over it.

Dont know if its possible but my wish for you if its something you are able to do and want to do is get  your family all together there---a family reunion.  Give them plenty of notice on the date and tell them how important it is to you to have this one last time together at the place.   Just the sentimental dreamer I guess.

• Like 1

Good Morning.  Up since 5AM.  I am getting tired of watching the sun come up.

No big plans for today.

We have someone coming in tomorrow to put in rails in the bathroom to help me get up from the toilet.  Hope fully these will work.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

Hope all are well today! Im happy about the cdc update but I know we cant just flip a switch and poof! No Masks! But, its a start. With the vaccine in plentiful supply and available to anyone 12 and over I hope we can completely forgo masks by September. Here in Florida the governor and locally our mayor have never supported mask mandates. Also a bunch of people here take a political stance and refuse masks and vaccines because they equate them with loss of freedom. 

19 hours ago, minwifeof4boys said:

I am making reuseable water balloons for the grands for summer, that will keep me busy for a bit!

Are you making them with Bernat Blanket yarn? I made some last year as pool toys for the grands and they love them. I would be interested to know how they work out being used in a yard setting. My only complaint is how long they take to dry.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ratdog said:

Hope all are well today! Im happy about the cdc update but I know we cant just flip a switch and poof! No Masks! But, its a start. With the vaccine in plentiful supply and available to anyone 12 and over I hope we can completely forgo masks by September. Here in Florida the governor and locally our mayor have never supported mask mandates. Also a bunch of people here take a political stance and refuse masks and vaccines because they equate them with loss of freedom. 

Even lifted its complicated with the exclusions.  My county lifted it except for public transportation, county buildings, medical facilities, homeless shelters, and correctional facilities.  Better have one with is for awhile. Dh leaves one in the car.  I keep two in my purse.  Usually grab one and keep in my pocket or wear around my neck with the strap I crocheted.  Dh liked them keeping his face warm in winter and over at the hobby hut cutting wood. When the county lifted theirs the Village lifted it for independent residents.  Employees are still required to wear them.  They were going to open a lot of activities back up June 1st with masks anyway.  Light at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by bgs

No Brenda, he mows.... we sold off 1 1/2 acres in March, but still have 3...my cats can get lost in the side grass...and way in the back I think I saw an old " I'm gonnafixitprojecycar" jeep growing...

Dh HATES change.... and when I talked of it again he said... Lincoln( the dog) needs his space...Our 10yo German shepherd sleeps 90% of the time....

Yes, I would hope the family would all come back here for a last fling...

..and it will mean no chickens, goats, etc... but I'm so ready for it!

2 hours ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

Are you making them with Bernat Blanket yarn? I made some last year as pool toys for the grands and they love them. I would be interested to know how they work out being used in a yard setting. My only complaint is how long they take to dry.

I am making them with Bernat Blanket, I'll let you know how they do, I am kinda looking forward to getting the licks in myself! 

7 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

No Brenda, he mows.... we sold off 1 1/2 acres in March, but still have 3...my cats can get lost in the side grass...and way in the back I think I saw an old " I'm gonnafixitprojecycar" jeep growing...

Dh HATES change.... and when I talked of it again he said... Lincoln( the dog) needs his space...Our 10yo German shepherd sleeps 90% of the time....

Yes, I would hope the family would all come back here for a last fling...

..and it will mean no chickens, goats, etc... but I'm so ready for it!

Neither of us likes change either.  I planned on dying there.  I dragged  my feet on moving til our last dog died.  One point we had 3 and at best places might let you have 2.  I would have been terrified to take Foxy to the city.  She did not like being indoors.  She had been dumped and survived in the wild so she was hard on little fuzzy things.  She even caught squirrels.  Cities would have deemed her a problem.  I am sure she had been abused so she might have bitten people if they got to close.  

We had 5 acres but with house, outbuildings, pond and brush was mowing 3 when we left.  Dh was mowing very little when I moved out there with a push mower and then brush hogged once a year if the old tractor would run.  My first spring we looked at lawn tractors.  Then I went and bought my John Deere.  Corrected the guys too when they brought it out.  Told them the hat that comes with it is his, tractor's mine, however he does get to service it.  Sometimes I let him mow.  I started mowing more and more of the place, trimming trees and cleaning brush.  Didnt care what dh said about trimming those low hanging limbs off trees.  Got on my mower put hand on top of my head and said anything lower is coming off.  Neighbor kept commenting to him on how much better the place was looking since she moved out there.  I noticed the dogs and us got fewer ticks if I kept it mowed and when walking around I wanted to see to avoid stepping on snakes. Cried when my mower was hauled away but I hear it went to a good home where it would be loved and I did keep my original key.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, bgs said:

s. Cried when my mower was hauled away but I hear it went to a good home where it would be loved and I did keep my original key.

Sorry for your loss...LOL, we have a riding mower... hmmm... I dunno how to even know where the key is!

I hear ya, just today I was taking the cat litter out to the woods to dump, worrying about snakes the whole way, didn't find a snake, but did find a whole, bruised the side of my leg  and the pinky on the crochet hand is swollen ( not broken), had to remember not to fuss first thing when dh walked through the door..: I said, " How was your day", when he said fine how is yours....I bet he is sorry he asked😂🤕

Hello,

Mary Jo sleeping until 5 is sleeping in for me, even on the weekends I'm awake by 4.

Lea I hope your leg and finger are ok.

Went grocery shopping this morning and was a little surprised to see everyone wearing mask even though the store is not mandating masks anymore. I'm still wearing my mask, I think I'll give it some time and see what happens with the number of new cases. My dad went shopping with me for the first time since he was in the hospital. He wanted to go before but was afraid he would get too winded, so I suggested he use one of the motorized scooter shopping carts, he was glad to be out and about again. Did some odds and ends around the house and laundry, nothing exciting.  

I hope you are all enjoying the weekend.

Very Very, glad your dad got out....that's important!  Finger and leg are okay,  guess I wanted to be in unity with MJ... gosh we are quite a bunch here huh>>>

39 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Very Very, glad your dad got out....that's important!  Finger and leg are okay,  guess I wanted to be in unity with MJ... gosh we are quite a bunch here huh>>>

Hey anytime.  Want to come and join me?  Ratdog, now that is my kind of bar.  I am thinking of asking about bars in the shower, but the step down is sooooooooooooooooo long.  We shall see what is what.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1