granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

I had to laugh remembering our meals.  Our plates were always made up by my Mom, till we got to be a certain age.  Once, and I still hate them, My Mom put Brussel sprouts on my plate and I would not eat them.  I go the "There are starving kids in Europe who would be happy to eat them".  Dumbo here said then wrap it up and send it to them.  Whap right in the head.  Oh did I forget to say I sat next to my Father.:rofl  Never mouthed off again.  You ate what was on your plate and you respected your elders.

Getting late, so I am now getting ready to shut down for the night.  Have a good evening.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

This was Halloween at JC Wyatt house in St Joseph MO.  People made reservations tonight for next year.

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Tampa Doll said:

I had to laugh remembering our meals.  Our plates were always made up by my Mom, till we got to be a certain age.  Once, and I still hate them, My Mom put Brussel sprouts on my plate and I would not eat them.  I go the "There are starving kids in Europe who would be happy to eat them".  Dumbo here said then wrap it up and send it to them.  Whap right in the head.  Oh did I forget to say I sat next to my Father.:rofl  Never mouthed off again.  You ate what was on your plate and you respected your elders.

Getting late, so I am now getting ready to shut down for the night.  Have a good evening.

Dad grew brussel sprouts one year.  They were ok.  Better if you get them before they get a strong taste.  Once in awhile I buy them for something different.  Found a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinaigrette and honey that we liked. Oh and I just realized where Big Red will be on Sun.

10 hours ago, bgs said:

Dad grew brussel sprouts one year.  They were ok.  Better if you get them before they get a strong taste.  Once in awhile I buy them for something different.  Found a recipe for roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic vinaigrette and honey that we liked. Oh and I just realized where Big Red will be on Sun.

Yeah where will he be, besides on the side line?

Grey and cloudy this morning.  Have not seen the weather yet.  Can not believe that Sept is almost over.  Wow Halloween will be here soon.

Have a fun day.

1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

Yeah where will he be, besides on the side line?

Grey and cloudy this morning.  Have not seen the weather yet.  Can not believe that Sept is almost over.  Wow Halloween will be here soon.

Have a fun day.

He will be on the side line in Philadelphia.

That is good to hear.  As all we are hearing about is the Game in Foxborough on Sunday and the fact that they just signed Richard Sherman.  Making to big a deal out of the game.  Just play it already.  

Hot with a lot of wind today.

Nope won't even let brussel sprouts in the house.  That and cooked spinach.  I will eat raw spinach, just not cooked. 

That was some memory Mary Jo. I like Brussel Sprouts. Especially oven roasted with a drizzle of olive oil, garlic and parmesan cheese. It's a great recipe for Asparagus also.

Last night I made a pan of Strawberry Cobbler Squares for next Sunday dessert. It just needs a glaze drizzled on, cut into bars and thrown in the freezer. The strawberries my daughter picked up at Sam's Club are the best I've seen all season.

A very slight chance of rain here this afternoon, but I highly doubt it. Sometimes I wonder where the weather information comes from. Every TV channel and website says something different. 

I hope all have a super day.

19 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

We got the starving kids thing too and the logic escaped me.  If they are starving why can't they have the food I don't like. :rofl  My parents' reactions were no better than yours.  While I never said it because I knew what would happen I never stopped thinking the logic was lacking.

DH likes brussel sprouts not a favorite of mine.  He will steam a package of frozen ones up up from time to time. We tried growing them one year but they didn't make it.

Lima beans were my evil childhood veggie.  They came in the mixed veggie can and Mom put them in every casserole imaginable.  The dogs learned to eat everything but lima beans.  Even they wouldn't touch the slimy things.  My hatred of lima beans carried over to my teaching days.  Our 4th grade plant unit had the kids growing lima beans much to my horror.  I had the kids grow green beans and when the parents asked me why the change of tradition I asked them which they were more likely to eat when the kids planted the bean plant at home at the end of the unit.  Only one Mom out of 23 expressed that she'd been looking forward to eating lima beans.

The only cooked spinach I can take is when its in those greek puff pastries.  I've forgotten what they are called but they are quite good.  I often substitute raw spinach for lettuce in a salad you just get more nutritional bang for your buck.  Cooking it is not an option.

Never had sweet potato as a kid but the nutritionist has had us switching out potato for sweet potato and I'm really coming to appreciate the sweet potato.  Used it in a pot roast and last weekend pan sheet cooked it with carrots and onions and mostly Italian spices.  It was delicious.

Edited by Bailey4

I had to laugh at the story about the dog.  We had a dog who got left over stew.  When he was done, his bowl was clean, except for peas.  They were licked clean like the bowl and not a one was broken or punctured.

I think most of us our age got the starving kids.  That was what I was trying to say, but it came out wrong.

We are watching the Great Gatsby.  The one from 1974 with Robert Redford, Mia Farrow, Bruce Dern and Karen Black.  The new one with DiCaprio  is not as good.

Well time to shut down.

Have a good night. 

Edited by Tampa Doll

That dog got me out of more "your not leaving this table until your plate is clean" nights than you can imagine.  We only ever had one at a time growing up but those Schnauzers would eat just about anything you'd sneak them under the table.  They hated dog food.  We got quite creative about feeding them off the plate over the years.

My second oldest sister complains because they didn't have dogs when she was at that stage and she ended up with some rather challenging cold food issues.  She's a very limited eater as an adult.

My own dogs almost never get human food, which is rather ironic when you think about it. 

Edited by Bailey4

Good Morning.

I know, I know, I complained when it rained, now it has not rained for a while and we need it.  Another day of bright sunshine and temps up to 90.

Have a fun day.

hi all how we all doing today  bright sun shiney day for now perhaps rain later lol  everyone staying pretty heakthy ??

not much new here im afraid, sean, seam sam, clean clean clean. same old same old lol  we are all fine here,  staying in lately sort of, i dunno, just a bit on the cautious side i guess  

maxie gets his "window air' almost every day now he loves it  

Daughter is thibking about a new opportunity job wise, she was offered, no firm answer yet.. son in law moving up in his job as well just a month or two wait on that is all  end of my news lol all is fine here, hello to you all out there, lets hwar from oe of you, where is Carol lately??

Okay, I think I am all caught up now... it has been a month! But..... drum roll please.... my book is finished, been through 2 edits, proof read...in printing now and will be available on Amazon, Good reads, Barnes & Noble, Walmart .com starting Oct 6

I already received the authors copy

Now to bad news, all the boxes of yarn I got for free must have been stored in someones shed, because every box and sunflower seeds, bird seeds, and a cozy nest made out of yarn for what ever critter.... do you know how hard it is to take 30 boxes of yarn to the dump and throw them away???????

Anyhow, here is the cover of my book.

dino cover.jpg

15 minutes ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Okay, I think I am all caught up now... it has been a month! But..... drum roll please.... my book is finished, been through 2 edits, proof read...in printing now and will be available on Amazon, Good reads, Barnes & Noble, Walmart .com starting Oct 6

I already received the authors copy

Now to bad news, all the boxes of yarn I got for free must have been stored in someones shed, because every box and sunflower seeds, bird seeds, and a cozy nest made out of yarn for what ever critter.... do you know how hard it is to take 30 boxes of yarn to the dump and throw them away???????

Anyhow, here is the cover of my book.

dino cover.jpg

Lea how exciting and congratulations.  Oh goodness how awful about the yarn.  

• Like 1

Good Morning.

Great news on the book and boo hoo on the yarn.  It is very tough decision.

Well bright and sunny and warm today.

Have fun.

• Like 1

Weird temps here.  Yesterday should have put on long pants but stayed in shorts.  Today looking at temps on my phone started in long pants and quickly moved to shorts as it warmed up.  At least its not humid.

• Like 1

Fall is officially here! Yay 81°F today and 50°F tonight. Just a few nights ago it was in the 70's for the low.

I had my annual wellness checkup yesterday. All good. They offer a new service for Chronic Care. A Phys. Asst. calls once a month to check on the patient and the patient in turn can call her direct anytime during business hours, even for prescriptions. Now I only have to see the Dr. every 3 months instead of 2 months. Win, win since it's so hard anymore to even get through on the phones. Our town is so Dr. challenged compared to the population here. I'm sure this is the case pretty much everywhere and especially with the pandemic not easing up. Now our state is going through a big controversy about wearing masks or not. Even though I'm vaccinated, and as much as I dislike them, when I do have to go out, I definitely wear a mask. 

Daughter goes back to work today after being off for 1.5 years. I'm going to miss our daily visits,  big time. She'll still stop by every day but, only for a quick check on me. No more Sunday dinners either. Sigh.

Lea: GREAT news about the book. Congratulations! And I'm sorry for your (yarn) loss. That's a lot of yarn to have to discard.

Mary Jo: Maybe that rain will get there soon. We are always begging for rain in Arizona. Lake Mead and Lake Powell are desperate and looks like they have a giant bathtub ring.

Take care all and hope your day is working out great for you.

• Like 1

Today was wonderful here, low 80s.. which for us is great for Oct 1 st..

Finally got to do a bit of crochet, working on an Anne of Green Gables doll for my friend for Christmas....

went shopping today, I really hate going to Walmart, I had to pick up a prescription or I would have done a pick up order.. The fella who usually does my pick up order was shopping and he said how surprised he was to see me in the store... 😂

Reni, if I lived near you I would come keep you company for sure...I get lonesome out here in the middle of no where.. Dh has worked everyday and its me and the animals.... and they don't talk!

• Like 1

Good Morning.

Reni & Lea, I use to hold good conversations with myself, when I was alone, I found I was quite a conversationalist.:rofl

We were down to 76 this morning and very little humidity.  Just going to enjoy this while it is here.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

You could tell my Mom was reaching her stress level with 8 kids when she'd start singing "I talk to the walls but they don't listen to me."

Years later I realized my Mom wasn't worried about people listening in on her conversations she'd only have been ticked off they weren't bothering to provide her with adult conversation in return. :rofl

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, minwifeof4boys said:

Reni, if I lived near you I would come keep you company for sure...I get lonesome out here in the middle of no where.. Dh has worked everyday and its me and the animals.... and they don't talk!

Thanks Lea! That's nice to know you'd do that. DD keeps trying to get me to adopt a dog or cat, but, I'm just not sure I can care for either at this point. At least animals don't talk back! LOL

6 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Reni & Lea, I use to hold good conversations with myself, when I was alone, I found I was quite a conversationalist.:rofl

Mary Jo: I too keep a good conversation going with myself, and sometimes the TV! LOL

Pretty nice here today and no wind, but up to 86°F later and down in the 70's next week. My kind of temps! When it gets below 80, I can sit on my back patio and crochet.

Here's hoping everyone's day turns out great!