granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Still on a cross stitch kick. I couldnt bring my large project to Orlando so I started a smaller , more portable , project. Hamtaro is a childhood favorite of my kids. So I made this for my younger so

Posted Images

Good Day Everyone! Big billowy clouds are forming from the south but nothing threatening. 15% chance of rain isn't really much in this part of the world.

Went for my eye exam this week and my 3 month follow up and flu shot yesterday with my primary. I still don't understand why follow ups and annual well exams can't be combined at this place. Guess it's a $$$ thing. And eye glasses are a scam anymore, but, as an AARP member I got a 30% discount.

GD is feeling a little better. Fever broke and not coughing as much from the Covid. We were concerned because she had surgery 3.5 weeks ago which taxed her immune system.

I did crochet a little last night while watching TV. It's time consuming now getting those rounds in since it's become larger. Not much else going on here. Hope all have a joyous day.

Good Morning.  Sun is up and shinning bright.

Oh Reni, I need to get my flu shot.  I also have to see my foot Dr.

Hope everyone has a good and fun weekend.

Good afternoon. Still cloudy here, but no rain so far. Just threats. It's so quiet here. DD and SIL went to a wedding yesterday and today to Las Vegas for the Nascar race. So I won' see them until tomorrow. Sure makes me appreciate them even more when they come by every day to check on me.

I'm making a few bowl cozy's for Christmas gifts. For Ice Cream Bowl Cozy's, I think I'll leave off the corners and just add a border like a Reverse-Sc or something simple.

If you're in a pinch for what to make for a meal; last night I made a small "BLT Pasta Salad". It was so good. There are several recipes online. I don't add mayo and sour cream, just Ranch Dressing and I add avocado. So easy to make and so tasty. Sorry, not for the faint of calories.

Hope all have a lovely day. 

After several cooler days we were back up to 90 today.  Its the time of year dh has been carrying a couple of trees in at night if temp is supposed to drop below 60 and several more if its below 50.  We had a class on beading with wire on Mon.  Went to my sisters on Thurs.  She had lots more questions about living here.  Dh had make up bowling Tues afternoon because his lanes went down week before.  Then his regular bowling Thursday afternoon.  Wed and Sat afternoons he helped a fellow resident clean his garden spots.  Finally got to meet him.  He worked for the Hall family (Hallmark) as a gardener, cook, and  was J.C. Hall's personal cook before Hall passed away.  Zack has given us collards, tomatoes, okra, eggplant, and watermelon.  Still looming hats.  Up to 20.  Having to do it left handed as it is making my right shoulder hurt.  Got our flu shots on Fri and photos to renew passports.

Wow what a busy week you had.

Bad day yesterday for Football, but hope tonight is better.  Hey Brenda heard about Andy and hope he is well.  Heard he is resting comfortably, but not what happened.

Up at 6, watched the sun come up.  Going to be another day, with no rain.  Still humid.

Going to try and pick up the crochet hook today.  Tired of reading (can you believe that?) for a while.

Have a fun day.

Mary Jo this is the statement the Chiefs released last night about 930pm.  Nothing since then.  I have seen  dehydration and heart palpitations bandied about.  Uhhhh everyone here felt ill after the game.

Head Coach Andy Reid felt ill at the conclusion of the game. He was evaluated by our medical staff in the locker room, & as a precaution, was transported to The University of Kansas Health System for further evaluation. Coach is doing well, currently resting & in stable condition

Hello! Just hanging out here for a short bit. I stayed up too late again reading last night. It's a good book though. Sometimes I just can't put them down.

Today is DD's birthday. They had a ball at Nascar yesterday. I think she's hooked. LOL They were 2 rows up from the track and she sent me a few videos with sound. The noise from the engines is not given justice on TV. Wow is it ever noisy! Good thing they wore earplugs.

I'm heading into the kitchen now to make DD a a German's Chocolate Cake for her birthday, her favorite and mine too. Hope everyone is having a cheerful day.

• Like 1

Mary Jo they announced Andy has been released and would be returning to work this afternoon or tomorrow.  So far hearing he was treated for dehydration.  We had been having milder temps but it got up to 90 yesterday.

Reni do you make the German chocolate cake from scratch?  That is what my dad wanted every year for his birthday in May and sis #2 for her birthday in Nov.  You needed not ask but  just go ahead and buy the Baker's chocolate, buttermilk, pecans and coconut.  I love that frosting.

Half our family liked coconut and half didn't, so my mother always made two cakes. That was back in the time of all cakes from scratch.

Getting a few things done today. Still having nice weather although a little warmer the last couple of days. Maybe rain Wed and Thurs.

Thanks Brenda.  That is good that it was nothing to serious.  Maybe he should grab on of the bottles the girls run out on the field with.

Love German Chocolate cake.  Yum that is delicious, but my most favorite is Italian Rum cake.

Off to get ready for the next game.  Let's hope the Eagles can beat Dallas. 

🦅Go Eagles🦅

Well Mary Jo so far they arent letting on that it was something serious and it is a good sign that he was released so quickly.  Guess time will tell.  I have never had Italian rum cake.  Honestly I dont care for German chocolate cake but I love the frosting that goes on it----the homemade not canned.

Mona at our house things were pretty much cooked according to my dad's liking.  We were given two choices and they were take it or leave it.  You never made a huge fuss saying you did not like something or it would reappear frequently.  You were expected to try a bite and allowed to not like it but do not throw a big fuss. There was no fixing something separate for so and so just because they did not like what was being served.  Generally there was enough choice in what was served you didnt go hungry.  Back then almost always had mashed potatoes and my motto is I can pretty much eat anything I do not like with mashed potatoes.  When my niece was little she would see black pepper in food and say she didnt like it so her Poppy started using white pepper instead.  Yes she really does like pepper and we laugh every time she uses it.  

Good Morning.

Another bad night for football.  Yeah, the Eagles lost.  They are asked to win 2 games and they are against Dallas.

Brenda you grew up like us.  You ate what was on your plate or not eat.  When I was very little and skinny, I left it many a times.  But we did not back talk the parents and we had respect for them and others.

Sorry off the soap box.

Have a fun day.

Brenda, it's too bad more kids aren't raised like that. They end up thinking the world revolves around them. My older son commented as an adult that he was glad he grew up eating a variety of foods so that now no matter where he goes, he likes most of what's served. It's amazing the number of kids that won't eat anything but chicken strips and french fries. 

The cake is definitely from scratch. I make a double batch of the frosting and also frost the sides of the cake instead of just the top and between layers. I can't stand frosting from a can either. It has a weird flavor to me. Some bakeries put regular chocolate frosting on the sides of this cake and that to me is just wrong. Pecan Coconut frosting all the way! LOL

Most of us Boomers are pretty much alike when it comes to how we were raised. All my grandkids were raised the same way; respect your elders, be kind and work hard, but, a couple of the adults do not have any respect and think they are entitled to everything. So sad. 

I finished a 22" doily I started a couple of years ago and it fits perfect on my dining table. I made this same doily a some years before this one and used the same colors. I'm pleased with how it turned out, goofs and all.

Have a fabulous day!

Yes Mona like your son I am thankful I was raised eating all kinds of fruit and vegetables.  Dad liked to garden and loved seeing just what he could grow.  He would also try different things from the market.  I never grew fond of spinach, collards, swiss chard but they were ok with mashed potatoes.  I love raw turnips.   I can remember when McDonald's came to this area.  Their hamburgers and fries were special treats. Luckily dh likes all kinds of veggies and fruits and he especially loves greens.  Dad used to send dh greens and this year Zack sent him a big bag.  One day dh came back from his rounds with one beet----at least it was a large one.   Told him I had never cooked just one beet before.  Besides regular okra dad would grow climbing or vine okra.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/floweralley.org/2015/08/11/climbing-okra/amp/

He also grew castor beans, one year cotton, cacuzza or Italian squash and armenian cucumbers.  I have had to repeatedly remind niece and sis which jars in the freezer were the dried beans and which were the castor beans.

Mary Jo we were also raised to not put more on your plate than you were going to eat. Better to get smaller amounts and then go back for more.  It really upset my dad to his dying day to see my stepmom fill her plate especially at buffets and then not eat it.   As kids there generally was enough different stuff on the table that I dont really recall just not eating.  And as for respecting parents if dad were still here today and told me to jump I would ask how high. Grandkids only came to his house once and whined about being bored because they were immediately sent outside to work pulling weeds or picking up sticks in yard.

Reni my family quit making layer cakes when I was a young child.  We just use the old 9 1/2 by 11 pan.  Dad didnt like that much frosting with the cake and also didnt like edge pieces.  I think as inlaws came along they thought it was weird that we would cut a cake and first pull out center pieces (to serve dad).  I never was crazy about the German chocolate cake but love the pecan coconut frosting.  Dad liked the scratch chocolate cake made with Hershey's cocoa.  Usually didnt frost it and had peaches. or strawberries with it.  Grandma panicked when they quit putting the recipe on the can because she hadnt written it down.

1 hour ago, bgs said:

Yes Mona like your son I am thankful I was raised eating all kinds of fruit and vegetables.  Dad liked to garden and loved seeing just what he could grow.  He would also try different things from the market.  I never grew fond of spinach, collards, swiss chard but they were ok with mashed potatoes.  I love raw turnips.   I can remember when McDonald's came to this area.  Their hamburgers and fries were special treats. Luckily dh likes all kinds of veggies and fruits and he especially loves greens.  Dad used to send dh greens and this year Zack sent him a big bag.  One day dh came back from his rounds with one beet----at least it was a large one.   Told him I had never cooked just one beet before.  Besides regular okra dad would grow climbing or vine okra.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/floweralley.org/2015/08/11/climbing-okra/amp/

He also grew castor beans, one year cotton, cacuzza or Italian squash and armenian cucumbers.  I have had to repeatedly remind niece and sis which jars in the freezer were the dried beans and which were the castor beans.

Mary Jo we were also raised to not put more on your plate than you were going to eat. Better to get smaller amounts and then go back for more.  It really upset my dad to his dying day to see my stepmom fill her plate especially at buffets and then not eat it.   As kids there generally was enough different stuff on the table that I dont really recall just not eating.  And as for respecting parents if dad were still here today and told me to jump I would ask how high. Grandkids only came to his house once and whined about being bored because they were immediately sent outside to work pulling weeds or picking up sticks in yard.

I've eaten that okra, just didn't realize it grew on a vine. A friend grew it and shared. It tasted just like regular okra to me but was larger and the inside was more solid, less seedy, so there was more to eat.

1 hour ago, greyhoundgrandma said:

I've eaten that okra, just didn't realize it grew on a vine. A friend grew it and shared. It tasted just like regular okra to me but was larger and the inside was more solid, less seedy, so there was more to eat.

It's not slimey like regular okra and is solid more like zucchini.  I sometimes ate it raw on salad and it has sort of a nutty flavor.  Probably tasted like regular okra because she used a batter similar to what you are used to on regular okra.  Regular okra I use corn meal salt and pepper.  Climbing okra I usually use Kentucky Colonel (its flour and seasoning premixed) and either 7 up or egg.  Then its best deep fried but anymore I bake it.  When you let some grow large for seed the inside sections look like luffa.