granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

Just popping in to say Hi.

Got the help coming today, so lots to do to get ready for the weekend.

I have not been out, so I do not know the mask situation here, but every delivery and helper that comes here wear a mask.  Now how did I get this cold?:rofl

Have a fun day.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Weatherman was bold and forecasted 100% chance of rain today so another cloudy damp day here.  He also had the audacity to say our chances for rain this coming week were greater than it was for this p

Posted Images

Still on a cross stitch kick. I couldnt bring my large project to Orlando so I started a smaller , more portable , project. Hamtaro is a childhood favorite of my kids. So I made this for my younger son. I put it on a box from Hobby Lobby that I spray painted black to try and make something that might be useful in a 23 year old's apartment.

1626994475691-147327413.jpg

• Like 2

Hello Everyone

Ratdog that is a really cute box.

I was working on costumes again today in between taking Mom to a doctor's appointment this morning and Dad to a doctor's appointment this afternoon, of course I took crocheting with me to work on while waiting. There are no appointments tomorrow and no grandkids, I won't know what to do with myself :lol.  I am planning to watch the opening ceremony for the Olympics tomorrow morning. And probably play with some yarn. 

Hope you all have a good evening.

Hi! I survived the grandkids visiting- barely! LOL They left early this morning.

We had another horrific storm on Thursday with 80 mph winds, quarter size hail and 1 inch of rain in 20 minutes. Pretty darn scary. I'm thankful all were 30 miles away at the movie theater. The kids would have been scared witless. Later in the early evening my AC went out and we were miserable with the heat and humidity. It was easily repaired yesterday and I wasn't even charged for it because I'm a "maintenance customer". Yay. Slept so good last night.

My GD's boyfriend is a city policeman here. Yesterday, he along with a fellow officer brought a squad car and squad truck to the house to show the kids how they work. Then the kids got to ride in the unmarked Dodge Charger, all souped up with special hidden lights and such. They said the best part was the sirens! They were so excited, that's all they talked about the rest of the day. We were too for them to experience this special treat.

More rain on it's way and today should be nice and quiet for some crochet time. BTW- my GD loved her afghan and repeatedly thanked me for it.

Hope everyone is doing A-OK.

Reni, the storm sounds awful, I'm glad you are ok. I'm glad your AC was fixed too.

I've been to 2 grocery stores, the post office and the bank this morning. I've started laundry and now I'm waiting for my granddaughter. Not sure what we'll do this afternoon but I'm sure it'll be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

Just checking in. Some rain late last night, but gently. More on the way today. Woke up starting a migraine, but it's a tame one, if there is such a monster. LOL

It's so quiet around here without the kids around and I mean real quiet. I hope everyone is well and getting through this summer okay. Off to watch a bit of the Olympics I recorded last night. Amazing why they decided on 2020 instead of 2021. So confusing. Happy Saturday!

Good Morning.

Up early this morning, having a cup of tea with lemon and honey to start my day.

I think they were suppose to have the Olympics last year, so decided to keep the date.

We, from what I have read are not doing so well.

Well, the tea is done, lets see if I can get a little more sleep before the sun comes pup.

Good Morning !  One thing that os tough about the olymics is trying to avoid headlines and results before Ive had a chance to see the events!

Quiet day today. Will watch gymnastics tonight. Maybe diving and swimming.    

Have a great day today!

Hello

I was wake very early today. I attended church online. I've had the Olympics on the TV yesterday and today. I don't usually watch sports but I enjoy the Olympics and I'm doing other things at the same time. My little granddaughter will be here today and sometime this later today the other grands will be here for a quick visit. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Hi All- Checking in here. Big clouds forming around here again. No rain yesterday- probably a good thing. A big storm is brewing right now for about 2pm. Yikes! GD that stays with me is in the ER. She may have gall bladder problems. She's pretty sick. Please say a prayer for Mercedes.

I stay away from news and such to keep sane. If something important happens, my kids let me know,  then I'll check in. It sounds like I have my head in the sand, but, with cardiac problems, one has to do what one can to stay calm.

We're just going to do take-out for Sunday dinner. DD's AC went out yesterday so they are melting from the heat and humidity. Not too bad today though- 88°. I don't know how ya'll do it in the south! My DH almost took a transfer to Naples, Fla. Then he realized I'd never make it in the humidity.

Mary Jo: Hope you're feeling better. I miss your longer posts.

cshort: Enjoy your visit from the little ones.

ratdog: Maybe the USA will do something spectacular for our team!

Dang! Our membership keeps dwindling down with responses. Hope it picks up soon. Time to finish a load of laundry, then a little crocheting. Enjoy your Sunday!

sorry just didn't have the umph to post for two days,thought I better check in before some of y'all send the posse looking for me

Managing to keep busy.  Thurs sis and I went to the city market.  We buy a lot of fruit/vegetables from the $1 bowls which means 2 to 3 hours in the kitchen processing them when getting back home.  Fri laundry and housework, then lunch/visit with the friend of a friend that moved here and visited a craft show. Its getting so if I go eat lunch at my favorite place I need to allow a couple of hours.  Dh's cousin is here from FL (about 40 miles south of Tampa).  They are 4th cousins are two sides.  Didnt meet her til she retired and moved from here to FL.  Initially met online doing genealogy.  We spent Sat at Gen library with her, had supper, and she stopped by our place.  Went to church this morning and then met up with her again this afternoon. 

Edited by bgs

Good Morning.  Yeah, up early again.  Hope to be able to go back to sleep soon.

The start of another week.  Can't wait to see what it will bring.

Reni, things seem to drop once in a while, but the core is till there.  We may not post everyday, but we do come in and look around.

I am not coughing as much, so maybe the cold is winding down.  Still can't talk (which is great for TampaGuy):rofl But getting better

Brain is staring to shut down, so I will try and sleep some more.

Um, hello there. I'm new. Tampa Doll told me to stop by and chat in here.

I found this forum while trying to find information on Hero brand crochet hooks. Google popped up a really old post from this forum. I snooped around for a few days, liked it, and decided to build myself a nest here.

My name is J. Early thirties, male, crocheting since I was six. My husband and I have five cats and I have a blanket and scarf (crocheting) addiction. I'm horrible at following patterns and therefore I usually just make boring blankets and scarves without using patterns. But it calms me and helps keep the anxiety demons away. So there is that.

I have chronic health issues and life is just medical misadventure after the other and gosh dangit if it isn't hard to keep reminding myself not to use my usual colorful language here, lol!

I also make cat toys for our gang of unruly felines.

So hello, fellow crocheters! Nice to meet you. I look forward to chatting, if you'll have me!

Just now, Tampa Doll said:

Good Morning.  Yeah, up early again.  Hope to be able to go back to sleep soon.

The start of another week.  Can't wait to see what it will bring.

Reni, things seem to drop once in a while, but the core is till there.  We may not post everyday, but we do come in and look around.

I am not coughing as much, so maybe the cold is winding down.  Still can't talk (which is great for TampaGuy):rofl But getting better

Brain is staring to shut down, so I will try and sleep some more.

I'm sorry to hear you've been sick. I'm glad you seem to be getting better.

I doubt TampaGuy is glad about you not being able to talk. In my snooping around I stumbled across a birthday thread dedicated to you from a while back. He seems to truly love you. I'm sure he's worried and hoping for your speedy recovery.

Edited by GalaxyCrocheter
Adding reply

good morning,out the door soon for a Va. beach appt. for Rene'

rainy this afternoon

it was nice to see a new visitor, welcome J, I am one that cannpt make heads or tails out of a pattern,wind up reading it and then doing my own thing,I mostly do charity crochet,hats my easy go to hat pattern by Dot  Matthews called the UBW hat,also some scarves for the homeless, enjoy the day

32 minutes ago, pineknott said:

good morning,out the door soon for a Va. beach appt. for Rene'

rainy this afternoon

it was nice to see a new visitor, welcome J, I am one that cannpt make heads or tails out of a pattern,wind up reading it and then doing my own thing,I mostly do charity crochet,hats my easy go to hat pattern by Dot  Matthews called the UBW hat,also some scarves for the homeless, enjoy the day

Hello! We're in the middle of a raging heatwave. Send us your rain, please? Especially since we don't have proper AC. We're stuck with a struggling window unit.

Ah, the Ugly But Warm Hat. I have tried that several times over the years and failed spectacularly, lol. I think the first time I failed at it was back in 2007.

Once the pandemic is a bit less of a thing, and if I were able to gather the resources to do it, I'd like to teach my local homeless to crochet basic scarves and blankets and wrist warmers. There's a local charity shop attached to a food pantry that does a lot of work with the homeless and I believe they'd be willing to work with them sell what they make to help them better their circumstances.

I'd try to start a Go Fund Me for the resources to do it now, but I'm immunocompromised (along with other health complications) in the way that makes me too high risk to get vaccinated. (I am NOT an antivaxxer!) And while I do wear a mask whenever I leave the house, I can't be out of the house for long, because my nervous system reacts poorly to the discomfort of the mask. My body starts dumping oxygen, so my blood oxygen starts dropping. While the mask itself isn't suffocating me, my body thinks it's being suffocated, so it reacts as though that's what's happening.

I know this, because I pretty much only leave to go to doctor appointments and my vital signs reflect this. After I sit in a room without a mask for a while and the discomfort subsides, my vitals return to normal.

It's frustrating, because I had this plan before the pandemic started and had a couple people interested in helping me get it started. Now they've lost interest. :(

Edited by GalaxyCrocheter

Welcome Galaxy Crocheter! Nice to read from a new face on here. I enjoyed reading your post. You do have a way with words.

Mary Jo: I understand. Just letting you know you are very appreciated and I hope you're feeling better every day. 🙂

Brenda: You have been a busy lady! Sounds like an enjoyable time.

pineknott: I hope you don't get as much downpour at a time as we've been having this last week.

Yesterday's storm, a Haboob, was another stinker. My immediate area was not hit too bad but just a few blocks away was flooded, trees down, couple of car accidents, etc., no one hurt though. My house is located between 2 washes (several blocks apart) and both can easily get closed due to flooding. Last night's storm only shut down one. GD was stuck at her boyfriend's house across town for awhile until the road was cleared of debris. Crazy!

I crocheted last night for a few hours while watching a few episodes of season 1- Ironfist. So far so good. I don't suppose they'll make a 3rd season??? It's easy to glide around a large Granny Square with this type of program for extra entertainment. I have plans already for the border for this pretty little thing.

Photo is of last nights' Haboob. My house is about 2 miles from the base of that mountain.  It gets pretty scary and intense in these desert storms. Photo was taken from the other side of town by a local reporter. Uh-oh, it's clouding up again. 😟

Hope you enjoy the day!

07-25 storm.jpg

Edited by ReniC

@ReniC I've been told I have a way with words for most of my life, lol. Thank you. 

My husband and I live by the code of: You have to laugh about, it because if you don't, you'll cry. And sometimes you have to laugh while you're crying, because you'll end up crying anyways.

Things being what they are, my sense of humor can be dark at times. Especially when directed at myself. 

But I was like that before him. (Which is saying something, as we're coming up on our seventeenth anniversary together!)

Anyways, I'm rambling, sorry. ^^;;

I'm excited to talk with people. The pandemic has been extremely isolating, and we (Husband and I) were already very isolated before it.

well so far the rain came in as predicted at 2 p.m. all 5 drops on the windshield, we are home now, so it can rain as hard as it likes now

tried to stop at a far away library to save time, well that was a bust, they had no power, so I still wait to get my international stamps, only have one left

Popping in to say hello. No grandkids today but I am puppy sitting my 3 month old grandpuppy until tomorrow. She's been really good, I just have to remember to take her out because she doesn't always let me know when she needs to go. Not much else happening here. Have a good evening.

Finally getting to the thread today. Welcome J! Sounds like you are going to fit right in with this group.  

Still not crocheting much, cross stitch is my current project. But, I did put together a project bag of materials for crocheted tulle scrubbies. I need to make a few more as the lone surviving one in my sink is in need of replacement. I may make a few for when i visit my brother and his family for thanksgiving. They are good to have around after dinner is over and dishes need to be done!

• Like 1

@ratdog Thanks! I sure hope so!

I wish I could crochet scrubbies. Unfortunately, the texture of scrubby yarn is too harsh on my nervous system. It'll cause pain and other horrible sensations all over my body.

I want to try to crochet cute little vegetables with faces as scrubbies.

Like the carrot toy I made for our little girl Andromeda. She loves her carrot. And the pumpkin I plan on trying to make for Comet. And the watermelon I'll be making for Nova. Don't worry about the strange names, they're cats, not unfortunate children, lol.