granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

This was Halloween at JC Wyatt house in St Joseph MO.  People made reservations tonight for next year.

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Posted Images

If any of you have success with hot sauce, ground hot pepper etc let me know.  Sis and I have tried it on all kinds of things for years but to no avail on keeping squirrels, rabbits and chipmunks at bay.  For our trees here we use netting and toothpicks.   Sticking several toothpicks in the pots  stops the digging in the pots and chewing on trunks but the rabbit came along and pruned off more branches than I planned on.

We have a week of cloudy, rainy days.  Some of them with a lot of thunder and lightening.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Good Morning.  Up early, as we are expecting Sears today for the annual check up on the fridge.  Suppose to be here between 8 and 12.  I bet we will see him at or close to 12.

Team won again last night, now it is on to Montreal for 2 games.

Have a fun day.

• Like 1

good morning,

there still a Sears?? I thought that was kaput, we haven't had a Sears near by for about 10 yrs now

enjoy your day

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

Well, no gators and flamingos marching 2x2 here (I busted out laughing when I read that ratdog!) BUT, since it's mating season here for tarantulas, we've been warned to be careful. Yikes!

Brenda: Thank you for the "critter" info. I think I'll go to the plant nursery and have a chin wag with the owner about keeping my drip line safe. She's very versed and is fun to talk. She should be a stand up comedienne.

Mary Jo: I'm glad your team won. With only 2 more to go, you must be getting excited!

pineknott: We still have a very small Sears catalogue store here. They've moved 2x since I've lived here, but, each time it's been across the street from where they were- LOL. We can purchase appliances off the floor when they have sales, but, boy are they expensive! I'll go to Home Depot any day for the big items.

Owlvamp: In case cshort doesn't see your query right away, her dinosaur pattern is:    Cuddle Up Dinosaur Blanket.

Yesterday I hunted online for a lace edging pattern for pillowcases and nothing jumped out at me. I want to make a few sets for Christmas gifts. If anyone knows of some pretty patterns, give me a head's up please. I'll post it in Pattern Search also. DD will be here in a bit to help me change the bed linens. She's so helpful and such a sweetheart. I better get moving. Hope all have a blessed day.

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 1

Yeah Ratdog cracked me up with the 2 x 2 for flamingos and gators.  It is raining so hard here, that even the lizards are hiding.

The Sears people handle the upkeep of the washer, dryer and fridge.  But I think they actually pawn it out to others.  Don't care, cause if something goes wrong, I just call them up to come fix it.  I buy everything on line, so I don't know if we have any more stores around.  Is K-Mart gone also?

Thanks Reni.  Listening to the guys who announce the game, Montreal is just warming up. :rofl  Not counting my chickens till they hatch.  We shall wait and see. Next game is tomorrow in Canada.

The garden was like the bird feeder.  I got tired of losing, so I just gave up.

Good luck on the hot stuff.  Hey how about a lid of beer next to the problem.

Just a thought.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

if the hot sauce doesn't work I have a pokeweed plant near by, they can get high on that

I read up on that last year and it said it made the birds tipsy

Edited by pineknott
  • Like 1

Ratdog made me LOL, we need some of that rain, as for animals, I know I have 5 acres to plant on, but we went with pots on the deck in a fenced in yard with a dog... wouldn't you know the cucumbers that have wandered off the deck have been eaten by deer? So they jumped a 5 foot fence, with a german shepherd, and ate cucumbers 3 foot off the ground... AND my roses... obviously my dogs and the deer are good friends... ~ Sigh... funny, they ate every golden delicious apple they could reach but not a single Macintosh????

We don't have a Sears near us, and I think the one in Raleigh shut down, but I remmeber the days of my brothers and I pouring over the Sears Christmas catalog. I am not sure how many hours of laying on the floor looking and plotting we spent, but I am sure it gave my mom hours of peace. With the Spring / summer.. Fall Winter  catalog was done, my mother use to give me the catalogs and I would cut out paper doll familes from the pictures, and clothes, accessories, etc.  kept them in a show box.  I twas so much fun. I was in 2nd grade when that started and I must have done it until I was in 6th grade.  Hours matching families, etc... ahh the good old days.

Reni I will be interested to hear what you learn about keeping those critters away from your dripline.  Once in winter out at old place dh opened the hood of the pickup and a rabbit was under the hood and we found some chewed vacuum hose.  They get quite a bit of squirrel damage here----chewed off corners of plastic pad the ac unit sits on, chewed on corner of screened in patio, chewed on batting boards.

Lea are you fattening one up for deer season?  I never had trouble with deer eating my cucumbers.  At our old place the deer didnt bother my garden or my one rose bush but bucks would rake on the trees I set out.  The rabbits did the worst damage.  They would chew small trees I set out and they decimated my green beans.  The squirrels chewed on the bird feeders.  

I thought our rain was over for awhile but its back in the forecast for the weekend.

My dad delivered furniture for Sears.  Wasnt the Christmas catalogue called The Wish Book?  Spent hours looking thru them.  

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Yeah Ratdog cracked me up with the 2 x 2 for flamingos and gators.  It is raining so hard here, that even the lizards are hiding.

But the ducks are loving it. 

Good morning.

I got so busy with cleaning out a closet and cabinet and keeping up with grandkids yesterday that I never got here. But it's nice to have some more cleaning done, I'm hoping to have it all done before I go back to work next month. I promised the grandkids they could go swimming this morning if the weather is nice because we couldn't get outside yesterday due to all the rain. I was planning to take my grandson home this weekend and bring my granddaughter here but now we might have a tropical storm or hurricane headed our way so not sure what I'm doing. I was hoping the new roof would be on and the impact windows installed before we had any storms this year but delays in getting materials has slowed everything down. I really wish things would get back to normal. I guess that's about it for me. I hope you all have a wonderful day!

Hey ratdog, more is coming.  It is pouring on and off here this morning.

Yeah we are all watching the storm and so far they are looking at it coming into the Gulf.  The cone covers the state.  You know they are really watching it in Miami.

Well, have a great day.

I miss the Wish Book! My sister and I would circle, initial and make endless lists!  

Elsa is causing concern for florida! We should be ok where we are. By the time it gets this far north it will be mostly over. 

• Like 1

well hi all  been keeping cool and or dry lately??  We finally got a break of a few days from the rain, and  our windows in and done, the other ones we had to order might come before summer is but a memory lol  if we are lucky    Now hubbs is painting the white shutters and trim on the house, before we even think about painting the house this year lol  so he has been a busy bee lol he got a couple gift cards on Fathers day, and he got brick molding for the windows, caulking, paint, and some other odds and ends for the house outside.  we will be sparkling new, when he is done lol 

that is how we have been busy oh and th windows are so nice, they just flip down and lean out to clean them nice touch lol  

my bird clock calls to the birds, all except for the eagle, they hear that if the window id open, and they all flee to the trees for protection poor birds lol  they know a predator when they hear one i guess 

have been seaming seaming, got a few more done sinci was last here, ill try to post them on show and tell if i can find them on my camera lol 

all for now friends, the day is waiting to get used, and I am On It lol   

Good morning.

The sun is shining right now, I'm hoping it stays that way. Going grocery shopping this morning and then heading to my daughter's to drop off one grandchild and pick up another. I had planned on staying there until Monday but I think we'll head back tomorrow so we're not on the road if or when Elsa comes to visit. It looks like my area is just outside of the cone now but I know from experience how quick things can change. And even if we stay out of the cone we'll probably feel some of it. 

I hope everyone has a great day.

that's mean , when mother nature gets stuck over one area and doesn't leave, hope you have a dry spell soon

So far so good.  They have dropped the storm down to a tropical storm.  We shall see what happens when it hits the warm Gulf water.

I know how you feel ratdog.  I think I am growing gills.:rofl

Catalogues: Anyone remember Spiegel's? My mom especially loved that one. She would order all of our school clothes from that one and Montgomery Wards. There was a huge Montgomery Wards store not too far from where we lived in the big city, but, she never did drive a car and hated the "stinky city buses", so preferred to order by mail.

Wow Katy! Your DH is so productive. That's how mine was also. He couldn't sit still if I even if had tried to tie him down. LOL!

Day before yesterday, I was thrilled to see a small family of quail with 6 babies following the parents around in my back yard. The undeveloped fields they come from are only 2 blocks away. At sunset last night, 3 babies were running around frantically crying over and over for momma. She and the dad weren't in sight anywhere. I kept checking on them and they wouldn't leave my back yard. I didn't see or hear them anywhere this morning and so hope the parents found them. 

At my last home, it was common to have 2-3 families running around and hiding in our bushes and vines, simply because we always had some kind of water source for them to easily get to.

Can you believe our country is 245 years old already? Just 3 of us tomorrow to celebrate. We're going to BBQ sliders and hot dogs with potato salad, Hawaiian macaroni salad and I'm adding broccoli salad for some greens. I hope all have a wonderful 4th of July, no matter how you celebrate.

• Like 2