granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

3 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Brenda- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful day.

Thank you.  Its still a few days off but dh and I are scheduled for crown preps that day.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rain rain and more rain. Saw gators and flamingoes marching two by two past the house today......

Yes, the yarn tossing was horrible.... Chris said he felt like he needed to go home and take all the sharp objects out of the house🤣

Happy 4th of July!  My granddaughter and I will be heading to my house today. I plan to cook hotdogs and hamburgers for us and my parents. I bought salads and baked beans from the supermarket del

Posted Images

Sounds like you had a great day with your sis and niece.

Ah I grew up riding street cars or trollies as we called them. 

Up early thought I would drop in and say Hi.

Good Morning. Had a nice evening with friends last night. George brought his rat terrier puppy , Maggie, along. That puppy needs doggy downers! She was runnong all over the place, never stopped moving! Cute, but very energetic!!!!!

• Haha 1

I could be wrong, but I think I read that rat terriers have 2 speeds.  Fast and stop.  Nothing in-between.

Glad to hear you had a good time.

Maybe we can all get back to normal.

• Haha 1

good morning

I was a young girl when they dismantled the street cars in NY, I don't know if I ever rode on one

we are to get some much needed rain  they were talking the D word, drought, wow haven't heard that since the mid '90's

we face a bit of a dilema( sp ) we need a fence and shed,with wood at an all timme scarcity, we have to go another route,one is no fence at all,ummmmmmmm not a fan of that choice, I am afraid of dogs on the run, a fence is my sanctuary

enjoy your day

27 minutes ago, pineknott said:

good morning

I was a young girl when they dismantled the street cars in NY, I don't know if I ever rode on one

we are to get some much needed rain  they were talking the D word, drought, wow haven't heard that since the mid '90's

we face a bit of a dilema( sp ) we need a fence and shed,with wood at an all timme scarcity, we have to go another route,one is no fence at all,ummmmmmmm not a fan of that choice, I am afraid of dogs on the run, a fence is my sanctuary

enjoy your day

My friends that live a couple of miles away got a bid of $30,000 to replace their deck.  Has to be cedar because of HOA so that will make it high but that was ridiculous.  They are going to wait.

Lumber prices are extremely high right now.  I was hoping we could wait out the deck replacement but ours has to be done this summer it won't last.  Thankfully no HOA we are using a wood composite that supposedly will do better with the sun/water challenges that killed the pressure treated wood it will be replacing.  Despite the price the demand is huge.  We are waiting to hear when they can do the work.  They are at least 10 weeks out booking even for signed contracts.

5 minutes ago, Bailey4 said:

Lumber prices are extremely high right now.  I was hoping we could wait out the deck replacement but ours has to be done this summer it won't last.  Thankfully no HOA we are using a wood composite that supposedly will do better with the sun/water challenges that killed the pressure treated wood it will be replacing.  Despite the price the demand is huge.  We are waiting to hear when they can do the work.  They are at least 10 weeks out booking even for signed contracts.

I have a friend that used a composite when building her deck.  She eventually replaced it with a different composite because the original one got too hot and retained the heat.  She gave us some of the original decking and we built raised gardening beds.  It was great for that.

Don't know about your guys Chris, but the guys that did our back, said he has trouble getting workers.  Kids fresh out of school, want to make the same salary as someone who has been on the job for years.  Now add the price of materials.

Ah you know hurricane season is coming up, as they were talking about the the hurricane of 1921 that hit Pinellas County pretty hard.  So make sure we get our supplies and check everything.  June 1st is the start.

Posted (edited)

We were told composite can be warmer than wood.  I'd be more concerned if it was a bigger recreational sized deck.  Due to the location of the basement bulkhead there really isn't room for a good sized deck.  This one gives us enough room for the grill and we keep a couple of chairs stacked out there to use in the summer.  It is primarily an exit to the back yard and a place for the dogs to hang out on.  We've talked about getting some pads for them if the wood proves to be too hot for them to lay on.  Its better than the splinter issues we have.

I'm also hoping that with the sun we get on the deck even in the winter the extra heat will help evaporate snow and water off the deck as well.

My dream when we finish off the must do repairs is I'd love to get them to quote a screened in rectangle style gazebo for the back of the yard.  I'd love to be able to sit outside spring to autumn without dealing with the bugs.  I suspect the girls would enjoy it as well.  I have some other larger repairs that come first but....

Edited by Bailey4
1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

Don't know about your guys Chris, but the guys that did our back, said he has trouble getting workers.  Kids fresh out of school, want to make the same salary as someone who has been on the job for years.  Now add the price of materials.

Ah you know hurricane season is coming up, as they were talking about the the hurricane of 1921 that hit Pinellas County pretty hard.  So make sure we get our supplies and check everything.  June 1st is the start.

Workers are a challenge but there is also a huge number of people wanting work done.  Every company we've talked has said they've got more work than they can book in a normal year.  Everyone is saying they haven't had work like this in years. That could be because there are fewer vendors working but I think there are just more people spending money on homes since they haven't been traveling and spending money on stuff that wasn't open during the pandemic. People are doing home/yard improvements.  That may change with things reopening.

My hair dresser helped me locate a contractor we'd lost track of and steered us away from one we'd been thinking of using as a sub. for a project for next summer.  My Aunt had recommended the contractor years ago and they'd done some work and told us we didn't need to do a huge project at that time which I greatly respected.  I'd since lost their contact info and was asking around when I couldn't find the contact info and nobody remembered them.  My Aunt has since passed away.  I happened to be talking to the hair dresser today and she not only remembered them but warned us not to go with our second choice. 

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Hurricanes are the main reason we did not move to Naples, Florida when DH was offered the transfer. Well, that and DH said I wouldn't like the bugs there because they are as big as baby alligators! LOL. Actually, it was too close to his retirement for such a big move. More ironic is, I moved from northern Calif to AZ for a better paying job and to get away from earthquakes. I'm terrified of them and have felt 3 major earthquakes from So. Calif since moving here. 😲

• Like 1

We use to have  Russell Stover Outlet near here but they closed down, probably a good thing...

Went out to breakfast with ds#3, dil, and the Princess. She is doing gymnastics so we went to watch..

Dh is 6 weeks out with his jobs....I think the stimulus checks made everyone wanting painting, deck building, etc..good for us, he is younger then I am so he has a couple more years until he retires...

Hurricane season, bah..thanks for the reminder MJ... need to check water supply, flashlights food, manuel can opener, tarps..etc... such joy ...

My brother and his wife are in Jacksonville for the holiday, sent me a picture of the ball game they were at the Jumbo shrimps vs Durham Bulls , we are Bulls fans since they are right up the road, but everytime I hear the Jumbo Shrimps I giggle...

Rainy here,  the rain, heat , and the fact the cat uses the tomato planter as a litter box should make for some great tomatoes this year... the plants are growing like wild fire!

I don't recall any earthquakes in our 4 yrs in Sicily,pretty sure we had them.I never wanted to live in CA. because of them, the first one I remember was in the laundry room of a Yokosuka Japan, the chairs were just shaking, I said to Rene' stop jumping around in that chair like that,she said ma, I'm sitting still its not me, of course you couldn't understand what the japanese women were saying which was probably EARTHQUAKE

the earthquake that messed up part of the Washington monument a couple of yrs back we felt down here,mil was still at home here, and she asked what was that? I said I think its an earthquake,think it was a 3, have been through a couple of 6.6 6.8's so it didn't feel that scary, the scary one are the ones that wake from a sound sleep sounding like a train is coming through your house

27 minutes ago, ratdog said:

We had a vinyl fence installed a few years ago. They are becoming more popular here. 

We have been here for 30 years and I remember in another neighborhood, they put up a white vinyl fence. It still looks good.

Our HOA says if you want on it has to be a certain height and a certain color.  Brown only.

Good Morning.

Another week end is upon us and it looks to be a typical Memorial Day weekend.  Chance of rain somewhere.:rofl

I have been hearing people complain that materials have gone up, so the price of work getting done is rocketing.  

I am hoping to get me a hotdog and a hamburger this weekend.  Got to have them, as it is Memorial Day weekend.

This will be the first year I am down here, that I can not put my flags out.  I will remember in my own way.  It is a time to reflect and remember those who fought and died for the freedoms we have.

Have a great day.

• Like 1

Good morning,

I've missed a couple days. I'm spending time with my oldest daughter and her family this weekend. I was out and about more yesterday than I have been in months. We went to the local sewing shop, my daughter bought a new machine on Friday and the manual wasn't in the box so we had to go pick it up. Then we went to Joanns and Hobby Lobby. I bought some crafty things for the kids and some Mandala yarn that was on sale. The yarn is a pretty pink and gray, I was trying to decide what to do with it before I bought and my granddaughter said it would make a pretty blanket woven on my loom, so I'm going to try it. I'll have to work it in panels and put them together since I my loom is 16" wide. And we made a stop at BJ's for a case of diapers for the littlest guy. Today's plans are coffee from a new shop my daughter found and just hanging out.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

• Like 1

Heading back to church in real life this morning.  Its weird having to get dressed and around.  It will be first time being stationary for a long period of time indoors surrounded by lots of people in over a year.  

good morning

hopefully it doesn't take long for everything to feel "normal " like it was before

we can hardly get out of the 50's today, hard to believe last week we were almost at 90 degrees, have a great day

9 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

.........This will be the first year I am down here, that I can not put my flags out.  I will remember in my own way.  It is a time to reflect and remember those who fought and died for the freedoms we have.

Hey Mary Jo: When I can't get my flag out for a holiday, I stand it by my front window.

Happy holiday!

38 minutes ago, ReniC said:

Hey Mary Jo: When I can't get my flag out for a holiday, I stand it by my front window.

Happy holiday!

Thanks Reni, but my flags are in the garage.😪

good morning

the sun is shining,have to remember not to look for mail today and not to try and go to the military food store tomorrow,they are always closed the tuesday after a holiday

enjoy your day

Its been sprinkling here with more showers to move in.  Outside pool is opening today.  They didnt open it last year.  Water wont be very warm either as its been chilly at night and not much sun.  Dh has been schlepping our tropicals in at night.  Tomorrow is a big day around here as thats when most things go back to precovid.  We were just here 3 months when things shut down so hadnt experienced life here in a normal summer.

Yesterday was a nice day full of sunshine and just the right temp---- not too hot not too cold.  It was good to get back to church.  So many changes as they have redone the foyer since they finished the fellowship hall.  The kids have really grown.  One baby was 3 mo old last time I saw her.  Now she is 18 mo. Jordan was there and he came and hugged me.  His grandma took a tumble down basement stairs carrying bed rails.  She is in hospital with concussion, brain bleed, broken ribs and collar bone.  Pastor and others were out of town so will see them next week.

Dh has volunteered to walk a dog while the lady is recuping from surgery.  Guess I should time my walk today for same time and then walk on over for lunch.

Just thought I would share a humbling moment from yesterday.

My grand daughter ringing the gold bell 7 times for the 7 friends my son lost while in Iraq...

and my son and grand daughter setting memorial flags for those lost...

gold bell.jpg

lance flag.jpg

• Like 1