granny squares, and chaatty friends 2021

23 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

HELP!!!!!

I am making a bib for my sister, well actually 4 bibs.  It calls for bows that you make. 

Mary Jo- Walmart has premade bows (sample) and satin ribbon you can order, have delivered or have someone pick up for you. So does Amazon. Hope that helps.

23 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

HELP!!!!!

I am making a bib for my sister, well actually 4 bibs.  It calls for bows that you make. 

Mary Jo- Walmart has premade bows (sample) and satin ribbon you can order, have delivered or have someone pick up for you. So does Amazon. Hope that helps.

The garage door genius had to cancel due to rain yesterday. He'll be here tomorrow to figure out why only the wall switch will open the door. Today are the pest control folks. There is a wasp nest in a small rosemary bush in my backyard!

Today is sunny and a little breezy and only 85°F for a high. I can't complain about that. Enjoy the day folks.

We have been staying busy.  Making an effort to be available to niece, nephew, and bil as they sort thru sis's things and what paperwork needs done.  First was what to do with all her plants.  She had over 100.  She was in the process of repotting and prepping to bring them in for winter when she passed away.  At first bil did not want any but has changed his mind.  We went to zoo with other sister, niece and bil to follow up on donation in sis's name.  Her funeral went well.  Her stepson did a fantastic job on service.  A pastor could not have done better.  Sis was always late.  Our dad said she would be late to her own funeral and she was.  Bil and kids purposely carried her ashes in about 15 min after scheduled start time.  My niece is a field agent for the conservation dept.  There were 2 pews full of agents, at least 12 in full uniform (including their firearms).  My cousin's wife remarked she had never felt so safe at a funeral.  

I had a special project I got done for Mary Jo, got doll clothes and blankets, mailed to Chris, and ministockings off to Warmth for Warriors.  Photos of stockings and doll clothes on Boxing Day thread. Not sure what to start next so I am looming hats--so far there are 5 completed.  Niece showed me a photo of a penguin ami she would like.  Her mom had been getting her a penguin something for Christmas the last several years.  

For fun stuff we went to Chiefs watch party for season opener.  There was chili with all kinds of fixins, beer, wine, and Chief's cookies.  We went to symphony's performance titled Mcabre.  It was very good.  They perform in our Pavillion so thats handy.  We have had a couple of bonsai meetings, dulcimer club meetings and our weekly dulcimer practices.  We have our tickets for Halloween Hocus Pocus, a magician show, spooky stories night, and the Bavarian music group.  We have reservations to the restaurant that we went to last year for Halloween. 

I have my Halloween stuff out.  My back is a little sore.  Could be from moving boxes, flu shot, or the car accident (I was out with sis last week in her Rav 4 and we were rear ended).

HVac guy here today to relight pilot on fireplace, change evaporation pad on humidifier, and replace insulation around  tubing for ac where squirrels chewed it off.  Those boogers just did that this past week.  Locksmith/garage door called and said they would be replacing out opener in next couple of days.  It is sporadically picking up another signal which blocks our remote.  Its started about a year ago.  They figured out the problem but then we didnt have another incident until a month ago and now its happened several times.

• Like 2

Thanks Reni, I broke down and ordered them along with ribbon from Amazon, free shipping and I will get it all Friday.

Wow Brenda you are really busy.  Hate to say this, but congrats on Sunday's game.  We sucked.  And can you believe it the Eagles are 4-0?  Noboday can.

Just had someone come in and give us a quote for cleaning service.  We lost our last group.  They just stopped coming.  We are going to go once a month, this time.  I mean, come on how much dirt do two people make?  Especially when one hardly moves?  The one good thing with the one company is they do everything.  Windows, gutters, powerwashing and such.  One company does everything.  Convient.

I hope your BIL, niece and nephew do well with everything.

Thank you for the project.  DH loves it, says it is so pretty and I like the way it looks next to my crocheting chair.

Well, off to look for the Amazon guy.  Got a package coming.

Mary Jo glad dh approved of my work.  I thought it was very cute and it was fun to do.  We never know if the good team or the inept team will be on the field come game time.  Its always a good day if they win against Brady.  That will be good to have one company that does all those things.  If we were in one of the apartments we would have a cleaning person and flat laundry every two weeks but I like our little duplex with the golf course out back.

Reni we have had problems off and on for a year with our garage door opener.  Sometimes it wont open using any of our three remotes or the keypad which also uses a signal but later they work fine.  The wall button always works.  Its hard wired in.  Our guy was here and actually caught the opener receiving a signal from another source which was blocking the signal from our remotes.  They asked if we had any new electronics which we did not.  They said it could be a signal from something in one of the apartments.  They were afraid it might be from  the emergency alert systems they were installing.  They also said that repeaters in the area could be the cause.  One night two very large Comcast trucks were parked up the street working in a box.  We didnt have problems again until last month and have had it not work several times now.  Our guy said they can install one that uses a different frequency.  We have been filling out a work order each time to document it.   His supervisor has approved replacing it.

• Like 1

I don't know if I am the only one, but why is it you make one thing right, then the next one you make does not look right?  I made 2 centers on the bib I am make (the chevron part). the second one does not look as good.   WHY! WHY! WHY!  Same thing happens when I make booties or socks.  I guess maybe it is me.

Oh well, I put it aside for today and will try again tomorrow..

How is everyone else doing?

• Like 1

Brenda- Firstly, I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers are with you.

That's exactly what happened to my garage door opener. The wall switch was the only way to open it. I wanted to replace the sensor that went out, but they are on back order since August, so I went with a whole new unit. My garage door has cost me an arm and a leg since I had to replace the coils in June. This whole summer since June has been upsetting and wild for me with house problems and health problems. By the good grace of God, things will start to settle down. Now, if I could just find someone to do maintenance on my yards. My GS does what he can but he's so busy with work and college.

Mary Jo- Putting the bib aside for just a bit will help. some time ago, I dragged out a WIP doily and put 3 rounds on that were all wrong. I put it away again. LOL. Hang in there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pineknott said:

good morning,I accidently posted good morning on my book thread answering apost

We'll take the Good Morning, where ever you're at, okay? ;):D   Hope you're having a great day!

I'm headed out to the front porch to sit and crochet for awhile.  I always seem to get side-tracked with doing other thing, like . . . changing out a couple of drawer pulls in the kitchen and managed to break off a screw, so now hubby will have to get it dislodged from the new drawer pull ~ aaargh!  Oh well. :D

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

I don't know if I am the only one, but why is it you make one thing right, then the next one you make does not look right?  I made 2 centers on the bib I am make (the chevron part). the second one does not look as good.   WHY! WHY! WHY!  Same thing happens when I make booties or socks.  I guess maybe it is me.

Oh well, I put it aside for today and will try again tomorrow..

How is everyone else doing?

Nope, not the only one at all, MaryJo.  I seem to have the same problem, too ~ making baby booties, one is always bigger than the first one. 😕   Yeah, why, why why!!??  Hope it all gets evened out on your bibs, girl.

Baby Socks mint green - March'11.JPG

• Haha 2

This is why I try to avoid blankets made from squares.  Getting two the same size is miraculous but a blanket?  Really?

Fingers crossed think I finally found a lead for a PT for my knee and hopefully to teach me how to do cardio without injuring myself. 

Dr.: you do realize you need to do more cardio.  Me:  Sure.  Dr.: You injured yourself. You will need to do PT.  Me: You told me to do cardio exactly what were your expectations Dr.?

Started going to a new church last weekend.  First service was delightful.  Going back next Sunday and participating in a day of service after church at their local food pantry.  Again fingers crossed it would be nice to have a church family again.  It's been a long time and this seems like a good fit for us.  Church is close to DH's home town so he is more familiar with the area than I am.

Got outside Halloween decorations out yesterday before the rain hit.  I have some ghost stakes to unbox that I bought last year on clearance but they can wait until the rain stops.  Today I got more indoor stuff out.

Oldest dog, 14, went to the Vet to be tested for Cushing Disease today.  Oddly a positive test would be a good thing as it treatable and the treatments could fix some of the challenges she's been having that all seemed unrelated to a non-Vet.  Should get the results back in a few days.

I'm working on a simple baby bib for Halloween.  It's the old Lion Brand Candy Corn Bib.  I have the basic bib made.  It needs ties and the decorative face and it will be done.  I want to include a witch lovey for the new baby.  I had toys and books I didn't send last year as they were in the middle of moving and it seemed like an unwise thing to add more stuff to move. I don't know if anyone remembers the Calico Critters but they've brought them back.  My now adult nieces were huge fans as children.  I found a Halloween Haunted House and a set of Critters decked out to got trick or treating to include in the box.  I'm eying the Christmas set if the Halloween set is a hit.

I found a free pattern for crocheted marshmallow snowman riding on a sled I am going to try to make for the kids annual ornament collection.  The kids have their own tree now and this tradition of making hand made ornaments was much easier when there was only one.  I did see the tree for the first time last year and it was cool to see all the ornaments I've made in the last 5 years hanging from the tree. I am going to try to keep the tradition going for as long as I can.  As one of 8 kids myself (number 7) it seems unfair that the kids at the end lose at as the work load grows to keep each kid getting something individual. Number 3 should get as much attention as I gave number 1.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 1

Hey folks, back from 2 days of watching a 12 week old who has never had a bottle until Monday when I watched him, and an 18 month old who need to be a physics professor..

I slept 12 hours last night !

Working on pumpkin newborn hats to run over to the local hospital for Oct babies...

Brenda, I totally forgot about the stockings for warmth for warriors... who is the contact... I need to do this...

Hope everyone is peaceful, calm, and living their best

• Like 2

1 hour ago, owlvamp said:

Tampa Doll are you looking  for a bib pattern? 

Good evening everyone !

No I have one my sister asked me to make.  I was just feeling sorry for myself.  It is a bit fancy the bib and being as it is for my sister, it has to be perfect.

• Like 2

Lea, our  RecycleCindy heads up the W4W Ravelry group.

https://www.ravelry.com/discuss/warmth-for-warriors/4179481/1-25#2

Stockings need to be handmade and can be crocheted, knit, or sewn. Stockings should be around 6 inches long in any style, color, or pattern.  Its okay if they are a little smaller or larger.

Shipping address for all USPS packages to:
Warmth for Warriors
PO Box 353
Rudyard, MI 49780

Deadline for shipping stockings to Warmth for Warriors and delivery to them is November 1, 2022.

I tend to make a few every so often year round and mail when I get an envelope full or at least prior to when the PO jacks up the rates for holiday packages.

Chris sorry your furry friend is not doing well.  Hope the vet is able to help.  I love how you are going to try to see that the kids at the end dont get shorted.  Hope the new church works out.  My sister's church closed in May so she has been looking for another one.  She remarked how she missed having the support of a church family when our sister passed away.  We still go to the one out where we used to live.  First time we attended and I saw how the pastor (and congregation) treated a young man with an intellectual disability I knew it was a loving and kind church and thats where I wanted to be.   They do a lot of community outreach and partner with other local churches of other denominations. 

Reni they put a new opener on the garage door today.  Guess the guy told dh that he was seeing a lot of this and especially around the little local airport and wondered if radio transmissions between planes and airport is the cause.  I am glad that since dh insisted on moving that I insisted on moving somewhere that we did not have to do home repairs.  At first he was looking at buying another house and more property farther out in the country and I was nope not at our age especially since he hated mowing, trimming bushes and home repair.  

Mary Jo I have a hard time making pairs of anything match.  

• Like 2

On 10/5/2022 at 4:50 PM, Bailey4 said:

Hey! Bailey4 ~ :)

This is why I try to avoid blankets made from squares.  Getting two the same size is miraculous but a blanket?  Really?

LoL ~ I don't have a problem with making squares for afghans or blankets, but clothing just seems to give me fits. 😛  I'm fortunate to have made a shawl and have it turn out even and presentable! :D

Fingers crossed think I finally found a lead for a PT for my knee and hopefully to teach me how to do cardio without injuring myself. 

Dr.: you do realize you need to do more cardio.  Me:  Sure.  Dr.: You injured yourself. You will need to do PT.  Me: You told me to do cardio exactly what were your expectations Dr.?

That's wonderful on starting the PT for your knee, and for the cardio exercises, too.  Gotta keep those joints movin', heh? :)   Sometimes it does make you wonder about these drs, for sure.  A couple of yrs ago my hubby was having side pains and possible problems with his hernias ~ went to see the dr, after first seeing the NP . . . doc comes in and asks, "Now what are you in here for?"  Really?? 😕  Don't they read the chart before coming to see their patient??  No wonder my hubby puts off going to them ~ LoL  (Lately, he seems to have found a dr down here at the Choctaw Indian Clinic that acts like he knows some things. :) )

Started going to a new church last weekend.  First service was delightful.  Going back next Sunday and participating in a day of service after church at their local food pantry.  Again fingers crossed it would be nice to have a church family again.  It's been a long time and this seems like a good fit for us.  Church is close to DH's home town so he is more familiar with the area than I am.

That's wonderful! :)  I know sometimes belonging to a home church really help to keep you focused and uplifted by the fellowship with others.  (I've been missing it myself, especially since all this Covid stuff for 2 yrs now.  Church on the Internet just doesn't cut it, ya know?)

Got outside Halloween decorations out yesterday before the rain hit.  I have some ghost stakes to unbox that I bought last year on clearance but they can wait until the rain stops.  Today I got more indoor stuff out.

People are starting to get their Fall and Halloween decorations out now, too, down here in Oklahoma.  We're about due for some rain, tho, since everything is drying out so bad right now.

Oldest dog, 14, went to the Vet to be tested for Cushing Disease today.  Oddly a positive test would be a good thing as it treatable and the treatments could fix some of the challenges she's been having that all seemed unrelated to a non-Vet.  Should get the results back in a few days.

Hope your pooch comes out okay on the testing.  When our fur-babies get up in yrs it's cause for concern when they don't feel well, that's for sure.  (Our oldest cat, Kelly-girl is 12 yrs old this yr.)

I'm working on a simple baby bib for Halloween.  It's the old Lion Brand Candy Corn Bib.  I have the basic bib made.  It needs ties and the decorative face and it will be done.  I want to include a witch lovey for the new baby.  I had toys and books I didn't send last year as they were in the middle of moving and it seemed like an unwise thing to add more stuff to move. I don't know if anyone remembers the Calico Critters but they've brought them back.  My now adult nieces were huge fans as children.  I found a Halloween Haunted House and a set of Critters decked out to got trick or treating to include in the box.  I'm eying the Christmas set if the Halloween set is a hit.

Seems I do remember something about the Calico Critters??  I'll have to go check them out. :)

I found a free pattern for crocheted marshmallow snowman riding on a sled I am going to try to make for the kids annual ornament collection.  The kids have their own tree now and this tradition of making hand made ornaments was much easier when there was only one.  I did see the tree for the first time last year and it was cool to see all the ornaments I've made in the last 5 years hanging from the tree. I am going to try to keep the tradition going for as long as I can.  As one of 8 kids myself (number 7) it seems unfair that the kids at the end lose at as the work load grows to keep each kid getting something individual. Number 3 should get as much attention as I gave number 1. 

The marshmallow snowman sound adorable!  I love your idea of the ornament tradition for the kids.  That's something they will cherish I'm sure, and hopefully will enjoy keeping up the tradition with each other, too.  (Besides, it's what keeps us grand-parents and great grand-parents alive & kickin'! :D )

Edited by Lovin2Crochet
New way of answering post :)

Good morning everyone. 

Mary Jo...ditto on the size issue. I never have a problem with squares, and always have those within 1/4 inch. Booties, fingerless gloves.. ugh. Depends on the mood I'm in that day.

There's a reason they call it "tension".🤣

• Haha 1

Morning, another rough night.  Up at 3 fell back to sleep about 6.  Got up again at 8:30.

I see clouds this morning.  Wonder if we will get rain.

Beautiful launch of the rocket yesterday.  Wish I could of gone out to my driveway.  I could of watched it after it got up in the sky.  It is an amazing site.

Have fun today.

If it's not one thing it's another. Now my kitchen faucet is ready to fall apart. Fortunately, my GS works at a huge warehouse at the airport for True Value. The employees receive points for jobs well done and he has a ton of them. He's turning in points for a new faucet he had me pick out. A quality one at that. My SIL is coming by late this afternoon to install it for me. What a blessing to have such great help. I'm so thankful for them both as they both saved me a pile of money.

Then last night, the volume on my TV just stopped working for about 2 hours. Then it came back on as quickly as it stopped. I thought for sure the way things are going on around here I would have to be in the market for a new TV. (Twilight Zone music is playing here). So bizarre.

I saw a photo for an easy knit pair of slippers I really like (I don't knit) and hunted down the video but it's in a foreign language with subtitles. The written is in English but with a few mistranslated knitting words. I'd like to turn the pattern into a Tunisian Crochet pattern. They'd make cute Christmas gifts and quick to make. I just may give it a go. Hope all are well and enjoying this beautiful Friday.

Edited by ReniC
  • Like 2

I had a six month follow up with my cardiologist today--no heart problems, but trying to manage BP. It's good, but now we're addressing my fatigue. I really like him. We're trying a lower dose of one medicine for the rest of the month along with an overnight oxygen monitoring test. If neither of those makes a difference, he says there are lots of other BP meds to try. It would really be great to have enough energy to get some things done.

Reni, it's go great that you have family close to help with all those issues that seem to come up.

• Like 3

Reni, I just looked at the video.  The shoes are really cute, but it is confusing.  I can see that you knit one stitch and purl the next through out the pattern.  I got a little confused on the amount of stitches for each slipper.  Now I have been knitting since I was 9 or 10.  I am now 72, so a long time.  I can understand the needles they use.

Good luck changing it over.

Wow lucky you have the help you have.  They really take care of you.

Mona, good news with the Cardio Dr.  I hope the change in medicine helps.

Well off to see what I can get into, before I shut down.  Computer is acting up again.

Edited by Tampa Doll
  • Like 1

Good morning!

My faucet has been going for a few months. We haven't had the extra to replace it yet just been baby it. . I can get the help to put it in  just need to get it. The air went out in my Yukon and by the time I replace what needs done might as well get another vehicle.  So I will just keep running it. I don't want a car payment. 

Working the farm this weekend. Lots of fun!! I love it. 

• Like 1

Good Morning.  Beautiful morning.  72 and no humidity, so it is like a fall day up North.

Waiting for my Costco order and then back to my bibs.

Have a fun day.

Actually having some good days!  Just not looking forward to the 18th...

Brenda, what 6 inch stocking pattern do you use?

I can probably do a few this month to participate

• Like 1