Diagonal blanket decrease

DianaC

Question

I am working on a baby blanket that uses sc and a series of sc, ch1, hdc in ch 3 so of previous row to increase.  Everything was fine until I got to the decrease.  The pattern says to skip first sc, sc in each sc across, skip last sc, hdc in ch 2 space, ch 2, and turn.  I followed this pattern and my blanket ended of very lopsided because I wasn’t decreasing enough.  I was somehow decreasing one side but not the other.  So when the pattern says to skip first sc, does that mean the hdc or the first sc of the previous row?  The hdc isn’t even mentioned so I have no idea what is going on?  And is this a weird way to decrease?  Most tutorials use sc2tog.

https://cdn.accentuate.io/4679416545373/12378270040157/crochet-pattern-crochet-diagonal-pattern-baby-blanket-chs-diagonalbabyblanket-a-v1589626657634.pdf

Edited by DianaC
Added link for pattern

9 answers to this question

Is this a free pattern on the internet so you can give us the link so we can look at it?   If not we need to see the instructions for the row in question exactly as it is written and possibly the row before.  You can share a few rows and not be in violation of copyright.  

I have not encountered a corner to corner using that stitch sequence.  If the pattern specifically says to skip the first sc then that is what you do.  You see sc2tog for decreases in rows and rounds but its not going to work in working a c2c.  It is built up by adding blocks (combination of stitches).  The c2c I am currently working on to decrease I work the last block, turn and slip stitch in the tops of stitches I made for the block, slip stitch into the ch space and start making my blocks again.

Row 3 says you should have 5 stitches, row 4 says you should have 7 stitches--did you get those stitch counts at that point?  This makes sense as on the increase phase (of any corner-to-corner / diagonal item)  you increase the same # of stitches on each side, then if it is a square you start to decrease the same # on each side.  So you should be increasing 1 stitch each side.

[If it's a rectangle you do the above, then work 1 side even for a while, and then when you get the 'long length' you need, start decreasing on both sides.]

I will make a little swatch and see how it goes...back in a bit.

I was able to get the increases done just fine. I got to one corner and started decreasing on that side. I wanted a rectangle.  And all looked fine with decreasing one side. But as soon as I went to decrease both sides I must’ve only been decreasing one side still and just not increasing the other.  I ended up with a stretched out corner.  And now I’m reworking and i think I’m decreasing too much. I need to just do a small swatch to test out the decreases. That’s a great idea. 

Ah, glad you figured it out, I just tried a few rows and it was making a nice right-angle like it was supposed to.  

I'm a firm believer in stitch markers, Maybe put a stitch marker on the side you are supposed to work straight, to nudge you to 'do the right thing' versus autopilot (been there, done that...)

I still haven’t figured it out.  I’m all set for the increases but having issues with the decreases.  It’s either decreasing too much or not enough.  I’m trying some small swatch samples to see what I’m doing wrong. And yes I love using markers to help figure out what is what. 

Well, darn, I'm sorry this pattern is being such a pain in the nether reasons.

Do you think it has anything to do with the big, fluffy yarn being harder to see your stitches?  (I am not a fan of bulky yarn, or fluffy yarn and especially not a fan of Homespun).

Not sure what else to say, except count every stitch every row; the pattern appears to be correct.  I used to be in a group that got together bi-weekly and knit or crocheted together, one member had a project where she'd made list of the stitches she should have at the end of each row, and counted and checked it off each row.  That seems like overkill but it worked for her.  That just gave me an idea tho, what if you did something like that but counted maybe every fifth row, where worst case if you erred you'd only need to rip a max of 4 rows back?  

Stitch Count for LB Diagonal Banket vers2.pdf

Actually, there is a minor glitch in the pattern.  I just created a spreadsheet (above) with stitch counts by row, starting with row 3 at 5 stitches and adding 2 each row, and at row 51 you have 101 stitches, not 103.  This isn't earthshaking, you can just add a row  to hit 103 and keep the stitch count the same at the end of the increases, or start decreasing at 101 stitches and have a smaller blanket. 

Attached file keeps the 103 stitches at the point it changes to increases (meaning, I increased the row count a little).  It's PDF (edited to put it all in 1 page)

Edited by Granny Square