I'm freaking out

Question

So I'm making a cardigan for my wife. She is a 2xl. I'm following a pattern that says I should have 80 dc in each row (a v-stitch pattern, so 40 Vs)... I only have like 31 or 32 V's in each row and I"m freaking out that I either did the pattern wrong or something... because now in this last row I did I only have 28 Vs... which I have NO IDEA how that happened.... and I really don't want to start over again if I don't have to because I've already gone through almost 1 skein of yarn. The black is my work in progress and the lavender is what it is SUPPOSED to look like.... 

The pattern says for each row [Ch 3, dc, ch 1, skip to center ch 1 of V stitch, [dc, ch 1, dc] into ch 1 space, repeat until last V stitch, ch 1, dc in last two stitches, turn. it says I should have 80 dc for a 2xl size. 

At the end there's two rows of dc in each stitch and then starts a couple of rows of v stitches again, of which I did 1 row so far. 

WIN_20210429_08_11_54_Pro.jpg

WIN_20210429_08_11_25_Pro.jpg

example.png

9 answers to this question

I think you know the answer.  If you somehow ended up 1 v-stich short you might be able to fudge it back to the right count, but you are 25% short of where you need to be, that is not fixable by any way other than starting over (sorry).  If it makes you feel better I've probably ripped out and re-made a large yarn stores'  inventory's worth of stitches in my decades of crocheting.  It's part of the process.  It's a good idea to stop and look at your work every few rows, and count stitches if necessary  to make sure you are on track; also when I make a starting chain I count more than once, if it's really long I put a marker in every 50th (or whatever) stitch.  I also throw in a few extra chains just in case, you can pick extras out later, it won't unravel from the knot end.

Are you losing stitches?  Does your piece look like this /__| or /__\ ?  I am not seeing it in your photo, but this is not uncommon in general.  

Is your pattern multi-sized, example: small (medium, large, 1XL, 2XL)?  What I do is circle 'my' size in each instance that shows up in a pattern before starting a project so I don't accidently pick the wrong number.

This doesn't affect your count, but you might check how you are making the v-stitch. It looks like you are making it in one thread of the ch instead of in the space between the two dcs of the v.

The second row begins about minute 4 1/2 on the video.

Yuuuup I did the entire V stitch wrong.... Ughhhh. And I think I made my first v-stitch row completely wrong (I think I skipped too many stitches in the first row after the chain) which is what led me to be really short on total V-stitches.

Guess I have to start over. I guess the silver lining is the second time should be easier since I just V-stitched 2398473982457983475 stitches and I know how to do it now 😂

Good catch; that might make the piece a bit too long if anything, and maybe a tiny bit less sturdy.

Normally when you make a stitch 'into' a chain space, it means sticking the hook under the chain as if that bit of air was under the top 2 loops of the row before, and form the stitch AROUND the chain.

I do what Greyhoundgrandma described when I'm doing filet lace however, because I make short stitches; using a loop of the chain instead working around the chain makes the DC stitch a tiny bit taller and (my) meshes squarer.

Y'know, you are right, sort of, on the silver lining part.  It's probably all in my head, but it always SEEMS to go faster the second time around.  Hang in there :hook 

Thanks for the help it is already looking more like the example. And yeah I think I did mess up either counting the first chain or skipping too many in between each v-stitch the first time. This already looks better. The pattern says I need 80 dcs in each row and I have 78, so that's much better and much closer :)

WIN_20210429_14_49_45_Pro.jpg

Looking back at what you quoted of the pattern: there seem to be two dcs at the beginning and end of each row.  If so, for 80 dcs in a row, you would have 38 v-stitches. 38 x 2 =76 +2 +2 = 80.

Dc, dc, ch, v-stitches across, ch, dc, dc.