Cindy

CindyC1960

Question

I'm new at crocheting. I have a pattern for a rabbit. I don't understand the following directions. Help please with rows 3-5. Thanks

Row 1   2 ch, 8 scin 2nd st    (8)

Row 2. inc in all 8 st       (16)

Row 3  (1 sc, inc) *8     (24)

Row 4 (2 sc, inc) *8       (32)

Row 5 (7 sc, inc) *4       (36)

Edited by CindyC1960

6 answers to this question

Cindy this is how I read it: Hope this helps

Row 1   2 ch, 8 sci n 2nd st    (8)

Row 2. inc in all 8 st  (16)    (2 sc in each st for a total of 16 sts)

Row 3  (1 sc, inc) *8  (24)     (1 sc, then 2sc ... alternating around for a total of 24 sts)

Row 4 (2 sc, inc) *8   (32)     (1sc in each of the next 2 sts, then 2sc in next st...alternating around for a total of 32 sts)

Row 5 (7 sc, inc) *4   (36)     (1 sc in each of the next 7 sts, the 2 sc in the next st ... alternating around for a total of 36 sts)

• Thanks 1

Row 3  (1 sc, inc) *8     (24)

inc means make 2 stitches into one stitch of previous row

you work the 1 sc and inc 8 times

(24) is the total number of stitches for that row so you work as follows

1 sc into first stitch of previous row, 2 sc into the next stitch

1 sc into next stitch of previous row, 2 sc into the next stitch

Edited by bgs
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to the 'ville, and what they said ^

In spreadsheet and programming software an asterisk is the multiplication symbol, but it's inexcusable to use an asterisk in a crochet pattern to mean anything other than what it has meant in crochet patterns for well over a century --  the beginning point of a repeat.

Nowadays you might see a version of row 3 as: "Row 3  (1 sc, inc) x 8  (24)"  While still not conventional this is easier to interpret because 'x' is commonly understood to be the symbol of multiplication, so "(1 sc, inc) times 8".   

• Like 1

I use many patterns, vintage and modern. All the vintage patterns up until about 10 years ago used crochet conventions strictly. The antique patterns are harder to interpret because conventions had not been clearly established but they are understandable.

More modern patterns shared by free-lance designers do not always use the conventions and it is a hair-tearing enterprise to figure them out. However, some modern designers do describe the unconventional terms they use.

• Like 1

Debscodas, I agree (except for calling patterns over 10 years old vintage, yikes!--kidding).  100+ year old patterns and newer (say from the WW1 era forward), are easily understandable (to me) and use current crochet 'grammar' for the most part.  WW1~1930ish US patterns used UK stitch terms tho, something to watch out for.  Patterns from before WW1 are funky, but I've worked a couple from the 1840s--they actually weren't too bad with a stitch translator (completely different stitch terms, but the actions were followable).

Older patterns didn't hold your hand like modern patterns do, an older pattern might not say 'chain 3, turn, skip the first stitch , DC in the following stitch' for example, since you should know that already if the next row starts with a DC.  They also didn't give difficulty levels, so a new crocheter today might get hold of a super advanced older pattern and be discouraged, and think all older patterns are difficult.  

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

Debscodas, I agree (except for calling patterns over 10 years old vintage, yikes!--kidding).  100+ year old patterns and newer (say from the WW1 era forward), are easily understandable (to me) and use current crochet 'grammar' for the most part.  WW1~1930ish US patterns used UK stitch terms tho, something to watch out for.  Patterns from before WW1 are funky, but I've worked a couple from the 1840s--they actually weren't too bad with a stitch translator (completely different stitch terms, but the actions were followable).

Older patterns didn't hold your hand like modern patterns do, an older pattern might not say 'chain 3, turn, skip the first stitch , DC in the following stitch' for example, since you should know that already if the next row starts with a DC.  They also didn't give difficulty levels, so a new crocheter today might get hold of a super advanced older pattern and be discouraged, and think all older patterns are difficult.  

I beleive most people know that vintage items are at least 30 years old. However something seems to have changed in the past ten years with more designs available across the world through the internet. I have several patterns from Bulgaria that are very difficult to read. But there is also English in translation that could affect reading it. I am so happy to have these world-wide designs and use them often. But for a beginner it would be difficult.