Thread sizes finer than 100

TrK

What an interesting forum :)

For some time I’ve been trying to find out when DMC, J&P Coats and other manufacturers of fine crochet thread halted their production of 120, 150, 160 and 200. 

I use vintage 150 from both of the above mentioned companies and 200 from the latter, but I’ve now idea as to their age.

The quality is still super.

Does anyone know?

Welcome to the 'ville!  And your eyes and hands must be younger than mine, I use mostly size 10, 20 is OK but 30 is really pushing my eyes and hand issues.  I can't even imagine 150!

Lacis has up to size 80 DMC cordonette for sale 'for wholesale distribution so presumably that's still being manufactured, but that's the 'good stuff'.

Thank you so much for welcoming me :)

DMC Cordonnet special size 100 is still made in France and sold here in Norway in two whites and ecru.

I’m relatively new to crocheting as I discovered it Christmas before last at the age of 51, so I nearly panicked when I got a few balls of 40 for my latest birthday in October. However, I liked crocheting with it and soon bought DMC c s in 60, 70 and 100, but was still looking for something that made more delicate results. Vintage patterns suggested the existence of 120, 140, 150 and 160, so I was thrilled when I came across quite a few balls in 150 and 200. Am using a 0,35mm needle for the latter.

It’s exactly the same really, but makes smaller results — way more delicate ones. I’m aspiring to be able to crochet my daughter a dress in Irish crochet :) Need lots of practice first!

Sooo relaxing, interesting and funny.

However, I wonder how old these balls are..?

40DDDD3D-0478-4C2D-91A3-3BBF3BCD327F.jpeg

Welcome! 

I am in the USA and use thread exclusively. The most common thread is size 10, then 20, 30 40, 80, 100. I have never seen thread offered for sale smaller than size 100. I guess Europe still does tatting or fine lace. I this country crochet seem to be going toward yarn.

If you have those fine threads, your Irish lace dress should be much easier to make.

Hi :)

It seems to be the very same story here. Absolutely nothing wrong with yarn or the thread sizes you mention, but I wish there were finer ones still. I’m not ever sure it has been produced anywhere since the 1930s? 

I recently read somewhere about some Italian crocheters in the 1910s that had six-cord cotton mercer-crochet thread specially manufactured in size 250. I believe 200 was the finest according to some standard until they stopped making finer than 100..?

Guess change of fashion or modern textile machinery is to blame..?

Very interesting perspective. I have thought a great deal about the crocheters of the past, and collect vintage and antique patterns for baby clothing. Work with thread does take a tremendous amount of patience and good eyesight. I never use anything thinner than size 30 or 40 because most baby clothing does not reqiure it. The thinner threads I use for lace edgings. 

I am so happy that you are drawn to thread as it cannot be rivalled for stitch definition and beauty.

How interesting :) I went over to your Etsy to have a look. Makes me happy that you appreciate vintage patterns and use them.

Those crocheters of the past represent a cultural heritage that is close to impossible to take care of today, as the kinds and sizes of thread they were using no longer are in existence... Makes me sad.

I buy all six-cord crochet thread these sizes wherever I find them at whatever prices as they have become almost impossible to come by.

These days I mostly crochet doilies written for size 30 using sizes 150 and 200 😅 Far from perfect, but loads of fun and lots of practice for “serious” crocheting later on.

70B7A6B0-67C0-42F0-99C7-BBECB56E0CB4.jpeg

Vintage pattern  — “White Sapphire Doily” I believe it was called.

I’ve downloaded and printed lots of pattern books from around 1900 +- a few decades.

I have no use for doilies, but they are so fun to make and give lots of practice with the needle and thread.

Tonight I began on a doily called “Women’s Day 1933” in a 150 thread 😅

I’m trying to convince members of a Norwegian crochet group that thread crochet isn’t harder than ordinary crochet...

How come elderly women here wouldn’t dream of touching a size 20 crochet thread when they have no problems sowing the finest Hardanger with the finest of sowing needles? I seriously don’t get it 🤔

I have some success as I mail a few of the members the occasional 50, 60 and even 80 ball :) 

Somehow most crocheters appear to have an irrational blocking of some kind? Someone must sometime have convinced the entire crocheting population that thread crochet is impossible..?

I believe the problem is that thread crochet can be tedious and definitely takes longer to produce. "Fast and easy" is blazoned across many popular crochet magazines. But for me the intricacy of thread is the whole appeal. I started crocheting when I was 12 years old and my grandmother was concerned that my hands were too small to be effective with the hook; however small hands are a definite advantage.

I tried using yarn but my brain is oriented to intricacy. That is what I love. Then end product is just icing on the cake!

That’s true! Everything has to be so efficient these days.

For me the process is more important than the result — at least at the stage where I am at the moment. I enjoy the finished doily, but am always looking for a new one with interesting twists and challenges before it’s finished.

The advantage with doilies is that almost every new round brings with it something new and interesting. Not just the same back and forth...

I wish that I knew what crocheting was at 12, but — it’s never too late :)

I’ve used finer yarns for hairpin lace, that’s also fun to make. Perhaps even with finer thread? Hmm.., I’ll have to start looking for a tinier loom :)

I didn't notice you were not in the US when I mentioned the Lacis source in the US, probably not very practical source for you.  I wonder if the finer threads are more popular in Europe?

I recognized your White Sapphire pattern, beautiful work! I've made that pattern except mine was in #10 thread and (probably) 1.65mm hook so is not as tiny as yours.  

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

I’ve visited that web site a few times now, and they do seem to have an impressive variety of interesting thread types :) 

I wish I had discovered crocheting decades ago — I could have had time to explore some of those. However, I do have six-cord crochet cotton balls in the finest of sizes to last a couple of lifetimes, so I’ll stick to those 😅

And more on their way... This time 8 balls of your American Thread Co’s Star Crochet Cotton, size 100, in white :)

• 1 year later...

I just ordered some size 120 crochet thread from Lacis in Berkley ca. Ordered online.

I am used to using sewing machine thread but this really has me discouraged  as there is just nothing to hold on to.

Does anyone have any tips for me?

Thanks,  Pat