Tanya Rentz

Tanya Rentz

Hi,

My name is Tanya Rentz.  I learned to crochet as a young child and have been doing it on and off for over 60 years.

Recently, 3/31/21, I had my first grandson, this inspired me to make him a baby blanket, sweater, diaper cover, booties and hat.  I then made sweaters for 2 great nieces.

I’d like to make hats for the great nieces, but I can’t figure out how to increase the shell stitch in the round.

I’d deeply appreciate any help in this situation.

Thank you!

Tanya

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁

Welcome!  I took a look at hats with shell stitching, and the easiest solution, which will fit anyone, is to make the crown in plain SC or DC and then start the shells at the point that it says to 'work even'.  Here is one hat that does just that, plus I'll give you a little math so you can use this pattern as a 'recipe' to fit baby to adult https://www.hookedonhomemadehappiness.com/shell-beanie-crochet-pattern-crochet-along-for-a-cause/

The recipe involves a little bit of elementary school geometry and maybe a calculator.  Pi=(3.14).  Pi times diameter = circumference, therefore circumference divided by pi = diameter.  I'm going to use my head because the math is easy - my head circumference is 22" (measured where a hat brim would sit).  22 divided by 3.14 is exactly 7", give or take less than a thousandth of a millimeter.  The pattern that I linked says to make a flat circle 5.5" in diameter, which would fit a head 17.3" in diameter without stretching.  I personally don't like my hats to stretch more than it takes to put it on my head, and if I make it to fit my head it will stretch plenty.

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/size-chart.html  This is a good site to tell you average head size and hat rise (which includes 2" for turning the brim up, so omit 2" if you don't want that) for babies to adults, so you could make your starting circle whatever it needs to be for your subject, and work down to the length.

The shell stitch in the pattern I linked is a repeat of 'sc in same stitch, skip 2 stitches, shell in next, skip 2 stitches, so the stitches used (not made) in each repeat is 1+2+1+2, or 6, so the point you transition from plain DC to the shell pattern is a multiple of 6 - which is convenient because if you make a flat circle (for the crown) in SC, you start with 6 and each round increases by 6, and for DC you start with and increase by 12.