Mary 1973

Mary 1973

Question

7 answers to this question

It's knitted, that's garter stitch. Which, if you want to learn to knit, is the easiest stitch - just a plain knit stitch, back and forth no purling.  

This would be easy to replicate in crochet, it's mostly just a rectangle with a buttonhole in the middle for the hanger to poke thru I'll see if I can find a similar pattern in crochet - the only 'hard part' is widening the rectangle at the ends.  

Not it, but super easy https://www.yarnspirations.com/bernat-scallop-edge-hanger-cover/BRC0501-003849M.html

I could not find one that looked like how that one is constructed.  I measured a hanger of mine like this, it was 10"from mid neck (hanger part) to the point that would cover the ends.   Measure your plastic hanger, I assume they are all the same but who knows...the below is using my measurements.

Make a strip 4" wide, SC back and forth for 10"in length, make a buttonhole, continue it for another 10" and seamed up the ends and a little bit on the underneath of the ends, you'd have a squared-off version.

Buttonhole: at the 10" mark mentioned above, find the center point of your 4 inch across strip.  Work to 2 stitches short of that, chain 4, skip 4, and continue stitching across,  On the next row, work over, or into, each of the 4 chains, and continue across and on so you are 10" past the buttonhole.

Trusting that this will work, doing this in my head as I type this but will test this and come back if it doesn't - you should be able to fold in half the long way and seam up about 1" or so on each end to keep the hanger on.  The photo looks like the ends were made wider for this - I will test just this part and return with a photo or report.

I just worked a swatch and looks like it should work, I was wondering what to do with the square ends but if you don't mind a bit of sewing it should work nicely.  The ends hang down below the hangar at each end but if you tuck them under/to the inside It should work if you don't mind a little sewing - leave long yarn ends at each end.  Sew the ends that hang down (this will be at an angle, seam where the hatpin is in the photo).  You could make the end of the hanger rounder by sewing a running stitch to close the ends and gathering it.  do this to both sides, and since you've just sewn this with the 'wrong sides out', take it off and flip it so your seams are on the inside.

hanger cover idea.JPG

NCcountrygal, I didn't see your post, you must have snuck in when I was crocheting the above or  trying to get a photo that wasn't fuzzy :lol   Those hangers are easier to cover, I have a few of that typeI've been meaning cover, I was planning to use this pattern http://dottieangel.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-hanger-how-to.html

12 hours ago, Granny Square said:

NCcountrygal, I didn't see your post, you must have snuck in when I was crocheting the above or  trying to get a photo that wasn't fuzzy :lol   Those hangers are easier to cover, I have a few of that typeI've been meaning cover, I was planning to use this pattern http://dottieangel.blogspot.com/2010/03/happy-hanger-how-to.html

Lol. I like that design too. I have some wire hangers I want to cover.  

Re: wire hangers.  I have a lot of yarn leftovers in not-full skeins, some of it sitting around for a really long time.  To put some of it to good use I covered some wire hangers in a sort of yarn-hogging way that made nice padded hangers.  I just made a chain about the distance around the 3 sides of the hanger, turned and made a 'curlique' of 3 DC into each chain and finished off.  Find the middle, and wrap half around 1 shoulder of the hanger, around the corner and a bit on the underside.  Wrap the same way for the other side. 

They do a great job of hanging knitwear without hanger 'marks'.  Good mindless TV-watching project.