Starting Popcorn

Rebs

Question

Hi everyone, I'm working on a blanket for my friend and I'm really struggling with this first step - I have no idea how to do a "STPC" (Starting Popcorn). I'm new to popcorn stitches anyway but this bit is really stumping me and google isn't coming up with much either. I tried to ask the pattern creator but they aren't getting back to me. Would anyone be able to shed some light on how I do this first round? XX 

The round is to make a flower:

"Rnd 1: ch 7, slst into the first ch to form a ring, stpc, ch 2, (pc + ch 2) 7 more times, slst into rear or stpc to join, fasten off [8 pc, 8x ch 2]

5 answers to this question

A well written pattern will tell you how to do a 'starting something stitch'.  Is there a special stitches section you may have overlooked?  Does it tell you how to do a regular popcorn?  If so it should also tell you how to do a starting one.

A starting 'anything' is usually along the line of, example a popcorn, instead of the first stitch being a DC, it's a  turning chain.

There popcorn variations (#of stitches used can vary), let's say in a popcorn that is composed of 5 DC, the starting popcorn would be: "ch3, 4DC where it says to, take the hook out and re-insert thru the top chain (instead of the top of a DC) and the top of the last DC, YO and pull thru."  I re-read this a day later and realized I erred 'crocheting in my head', the loop is already coming out of the last DC so you just pull the loop coming out of the 5th dc thru the loop on the hook.

In your case you are making it into the starting ring.

The part that is throwing me is the very end, "slst into rear or stpc to join".  I assume you might have made a typo and spellcheck took over and rear=ring, but that doesn't make sense (appearance wise), to join in a place lower than the level of all the stitches in the round; slipping into the first popcorn does tho.

Edited by Granny Square
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Granny Square said:

A well written pattern will tell you how to do a 'starting something stitch'.  Is there a special stitches section you may have overlooked?  Does it tell you how to do a regular popcorn?  If so it should also tell you how to do a starting one.

A starting 'anything' is usually along the line of, example a popcorn, instead of the first stitch being a DC, it's a  turning chain.

There popcorn variations (#of stitches used can vary), let's say in a popcorn that is composed of 5 DC, the starting popcorn would be: "ch3, 4DC where it says to, take the hook out and re-insert thru the top chain (instead of the top of a DC) and the top of the last DC, YO and pull thru."

In your case you are making it into the starting ring.

The part that is throwing me is the very end, "slst into rear or stpc to join".  I assume you might have made a typo and spellcheck took over and rear=ring, but that doesn't make sense (appearance wise), to join in a place lower than the level of all the stitches in the round; slipping into the first popcorn does tho.

YOU HAVE SAVED ME!! Thank you so much for explaining that. It all makes sense now. I've asked facebook groups with over 50K people in and no one came up with as helpful an answer. Thank you for taking the time. x