Question

☆3dc in sp between next two 3dc groups; rep from ☆ across, ending dc in top of turning. I have tried this several times and it just doesn't look right. Can you simplify, please please.

Thanks

16 answers to this question

What pattern are you making, is the pattern itself or a photo of the finished item on the internet somewhere (to see what it is supposed to look like?)

What you are describing sounds close to filet, which is (in simplest form) a mix of 'boxes' comprised of 3 stitches: either 3 DC; or chain 2, skip 2, DC in next stitch (I'm using US stitch names). 

Or, possibly a granny square, which is sort of filet-ish--a granny square is 3DC, chain x, 3DC across the straight sides, then in the corners there are 3DC, chain y, 3DC.  The corner 'y' number is usually 3 (or that is the number that works for me), the 'x' number of chains along the sides, can vary, usually 0 or 1, or 2 -- it depends on a person's stitch height to keep the square flat.

Do you know how to stitch "into" a space?  (Space usually means a span of chains, or chain space)  Typically you make the stitch around the space, by sticking the hook under the space, yo and complete the stitch.

2 hours ago, Seanjohn said:

☆3dc in sp between next two 3dc groups; rep from ☆ across, ending dc in top of turning. I have tried this several times and it just doesn't look right. Can you simplify, please please.

Thanks

You have given us very limited information, but what I can visualize is 3dc groups (a shell) connected to another 3dc group (a shell) by some unknown number of chs. Then once the row of double shells are completed, you are to turn and create 3dc groups (a shell) in the space between the double shells. You have given us no info on what is done between shells, ie how many chs or other sts are worked between these shells. Could you please clarify so that we can assist?

^ what she said, also do you have a way to post a photo of what you think looks wrong?  You can drag and drop a photo into the bottom of s post, at the bottom there is an area that says to "drag files to attach" (they need to be pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, or png format).

It occurred to me that maybe you think it doesn't look right, but if we see it we might say be able to say 'actually you are on exactly the right track, keep going' or 'no, you should have done x in that spot and you did y'.

If you really are doing a granny square, a lot folks doing them the first time err at the very beginning and I don't blame them--round 1 can seem confusing, and since the first round establishes the pattern, it can go downhill fast. 

59 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

^ what she said, also do you have a way to post a photo of what you think looks wrong?  You can drag and drop a photo into the bottom of s post, at the bottom there is an area that says to "drag files to attach" (they need to be pdf, jpg, jpeg, gif, or png format).

It occurred to me that maybe you think it doesn't look right, but if we see it we might say be able to say 'actually you are on exactly the right track, keep going' or 'no, you should have done x in that spot and you did y'.

If you really are doing a granny square, a lot folks doing them the first time err at the very beginning and I don't blame them--round 1 can seem confusing, and since the first round establishes the pattern, it can go downhill fast. 

Thanks for your reply, it is a baby christening coat and bonnet pattern I got from craftdrawer.com I have crocheted baby cardigans and dresses and lots of other stuff so I'm not new to crochet, but the way this pattern is written is confusing me. I have been try to attach some part of it but not having much luck.

2 minutes ago, Seanjohn said:

Thanks for your reply, it is a baby christening coat and bonnet pattern I got from craftdrawer.com I have crocheted baby cardigans and dresses and lots of other stuff so I'm not new to crochet, but the way this pattern is written is confusing me. I have been try to attach some part of it but not having much luck.

Could you copy and paste the rows that are confusing you? 

3 minutes ago, debscodas said:

I found the craftdrawer site and the only christening set is called Red Heart Little Cherub Set. Is that the pattern? If yes, whaat row or round is problematic? 

2 minutes ago, debscodas said:

Thank you,  here is the beginning of the Coat Back Yoke: Beg at neck edge, ch 61. Row 1 (right side): 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, sk 2 ch, * 3 dc in next ch, sk 2 ch; rep from * across, ending 3 dc in last ch: you should have 20, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. View More Free Crochet Baby Patterns Here... Row 2: * 3 dc in sp between next two 3-dc groups; rep from * across, ending dc in top of turning ch: you should have 19, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. Row 3: 2 dc in sp between dc and first 3-dc group, * 3 dc in sp between next two 3-dc groups; rep from * across, ending 3 dc in sp between last 3-dc group and turning ch: 20, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. Rows 4-7: Rep Rows 2 and 3, twice. Row 8: Rep Row 2. Row 9: Dc in each dc across: 59 dc (counting turning ch as one dc); ch 3, turn.

Thank you!

Yes, the ch3 groups are placed between the previous ch3 groups to effectively increase the bodice. It might look different as you increase on alternating on each end. Just follow the instructions exactly and you will prevail. I think you patter is the little boy christening coat. and the stitch desogn is as you described. It is the Shell stitch set Red Heart Shell Stitch Christening Set | Yarnspirations a free pattern.

4 minutes ago, debscodas said:

Thank you!

Yes, the ch3 groups are placed between the previous ch3 groups to effectively increase the bodice. It might look different as you increase on alternating on each end. Just follow the instructions exactly and you will prevail. I think you patter is the little boy christening coat. and the stitch desogn is as you described. It is the Shell stitch set Red Heart Shell Stitch Christening Set | Yarnspirations a free pattern.

I have assumed it is the pattern above, the shell stitch christening set; reading that pattern, those are not increases but the actual pattern for shell stitch for the body. It is clearly written so if you have a specific problem, I can follow it with you.

I'm not 100% certain that is the correct pattern--I'm not finding some of the bits of pattern lines that Seanjohn has quoted, appearing in that pattern.  Not just eyeballing, but using ctrl+find function; example, the number 61 does not appear, nor the word 'between', 'group'; "3 dc in" only appears in the bootie portion, but she's apparently working on the yoke. 

Cute pattern tho...

3 minutes ago, Granny Square said:

I'm not 100% certain that is the correct pattern--I'm not finding some of the bits of pattern lines that Seanjohn has quoted, appearing in that pattern.  Not just eyeballing, but using ctrl+find function; example, the number 61 does not appear, nor the word 'between', 'group'; "3 dc in" only appears in the bootie portion, but she's apparently working on the yoke. 

Cute pattern tho...

You are right. We will just have wait until we get more info and stop guessing.

13 hours ago, debscodas said:

I have assumed it is the pattern above, the shell stitch christening set; reading that pattern, those are not increases but the actual pattern for shell stitch for the body. It is clearly written so if you have a specific problem, I can follow it with you.

Many thanks Debscodas 😊

On 4/19/2021 at 8:54 PM, Seanjohn said:

Thank you,  here is the beginning of the Coat Back Yoke: Beg at neck edge, ch 61. Row 1 (right side): 2 dc in 4th ch from hook, sk 2 ch, * 3 dc in next ch, sk 2 ch; rep from * across, ending 3 dc in last ch: you should have 20, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. View More Free Crochet Baby Patterns Here... Row 2: * 3 dc in sp between next two 3-dc groups; rep from * across, ending dc in top of turning ch: you should have 19, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. Row 3: 2 dc in sp between dc and first 3-dc group, * 3 dc in sp between next two 3-dc groups; rep from * across, ending 3 dc in sp between last 3-dc group and turning ch: 20, 3-dc groups; ch 3, turn. Rows 4-7: Rep Rows 2 and 3, twice. Row 8: Rep Row 2. Row 9: Dc in each dc across: 59 dc (counting turning ch as one dc); ch 3, turn.

Hi Debscoda,

Can you crochet the first three rows and tell me what you get, I chain 61 and work the first 2 rows which work fine but the third row is not working? I appreciate all the help you and the other guys offer. 

On the 3rd row, you ch3 to turn and this turning ch is considered the 1st dc in the beginning shell (3dc). After you turn with your ch3, make 2 more dc in the first space between the last dc on row 2, and the 3dc shell that comes next. See second pic below.

If this is not clear plese let me know.

IMG_4340.jpg

IMG_4344.jpg