Hooked for Life

Gracelyn

Hello! I learned to crochet as a child, and have continued to crochet for the past 50 years. In the past year, I have challenged myself to work with beads and to master working with thread to make a variety of items, but yarn is still my favorite. I just purchased a vintage pattern for a handbag that originally called for Aunt Lydia's rug yarn, and I am looking for a substitute, preferably one made with natural fibers! A blend of cotton or other natural fiber with acrylic is okay, since I want it to hold up well.

Thanks for your help!

Gracelyn

I just looked on eBay -- seems to be a lot of Aunt Lydia's rug yarn for sale -- not cheap either. eBay search

Might do better with an Etsy seller.  I've used weaving yarn in crocheted rugs, a bit rough on the hands.  This etsy seller is selling rug weaving yarn.  Weaving yarn

If you liked the scratchiness of the the vintage rug yarn, what about twine? 

Nylon would be very durable.  I've bought from this shop and she's trustworthy and ships pretty quickly.  If you email her, she could tell you which nylon is closest in thickness to rug yarn.  Creative Yarn Source Nylon Yarns

Welcome  to Crochetville from the Gulf Coast of Florida.

Grab your yarn and hooks, put your feet up and sit a spell.

We are always so glad to meet new friends.😁