Alternating rows, piece is changing shape/shrinking

MissAnthropy

Question

Okay so I’d call myself, at the least, an experienced intermediate crocheter hehe I’m not losing or skipping stitches or anything, my pattern calls for a border of alternating sc and slip stitch rows which creates some sort of ribbed effect, but every time I try to follow this pattern, the same malformation of my PROJECT happens...it starts slanting like a parallelogram. Actually that’s exactly what it looks like. I have tried to adjust my tension in both of ways as well as opposite ways on alternating rows and obviously matching throughout and it has little to no effect one way or another. Do any of you have any ideas for me as to why this is occurring and how I can fix it, cuz I have tried to make this sweater 3 diff times now and can’t get past the bottom border edge! 🤓🥸😷

1 answer to this question

A ribbing is going to shrink or draw the bottom in and stretch out when you put it on so do you really have a problem?   Just going on the info you have given us and trying to picture what you are describing I wonder if you are making your first and last stitches into the correct stitches of the previous rows.  You could have the same number of stitches but actually be decreasing on one end and increasing on the other.  Have you tried placing stitch markers in the first and last stitch of your rows so there is no doubt on placement of first and last stitches.

If thats not the problem I think we will need more info in order to help----photo of your work, link to pattern if its free and on the internet, if a purchased pattern give us the name, source and designer of pattern so we can see what we can find.   You can type out a few rows/rounds from a purchased pattern and not be in violation of copyright.  

Edited by bgs