Help with crochet diagram please

Question

Doing Sunny Smiles / drops 178-42 (worked in the round)

Struggling to work out where to place slip stitches in next round. 

I have been working A.1, A.2 six times

Round before the one with slip stitches in i did

1DC in 2 stitches, Ch 2, 2DC around chains, 1DC in 6 stitches, 2DC around chains, CH2, 1DC, slip stitch to first DC

Attached is the diagram and below is link to pattern with picture

https://www.garnstudio.com/pattern.php?id=7976&cid=17#question11

Screenshot_2021-04-11-22-21-02.png

5 answers to this question

I've never worked a diagram in 2 pieces lie that, it's...disorienting.  Getting my bearings...

This is worked in rounds (not a spiral), ending each round with a slip st into top of first stitch of the round, and chain up.  But it doesn't show the joining slip stitches in each round.

So the round before the 2 slip stitches ( v v ) is round 8 if I'm counting correctly, and you've just slip stitched into the 3rd chain from the beginning of the round (the turning chain which stands in for a DC) to close the round.  Hmm.  I would count that joining slip stitch as the first of the 2 slip stitches in the diagram, and slip stitch into the next stitch, (oh, now it gets interesting, now I see why you are questioning this--I'm going to suggest an improvisation to achieve the intent of what it's saying to do), slip stitch not around, but into a loop of the chain and chain 3, for the 'first DC around a chain'. The 'improvisation' is because you can't slip stitch around a chain, and I can't think of another way to make that first DC around(ish) a chain.  Then  make the next DC normally around the chain.

That sounds confusing, it's not difficult just wordy, I hope it makes sense!

From pattern on website

"CROCHET INFO:
At beginning of every round with double crochet replace first double crochet with 3 chain stitches. Finish round with 1 slip stitch in 3rd chain stitch from beginning of round."

I too would guess where the v v is in the pattern that the first v is your joining sl st and the second v is a sl st made into the next stitch.  They do not show the v's for the other sl st joins because of the above statement under crochet info. 

I would just have to try it and see if it works.  If it didnt work I would have to study it to try to figure it out.

Edited by bgs

Posted (edited)

@grannysquare @bgs Thanks for taking the time to answer my question and trying to help but I should have explained what was not making sense was the pattern repeat (I thought I had to repeat the slip stitches.)

I posted a comment on the website and got this answer which is 

on row 9, start round with 1 sl st in each of the first 2 sts of the round then continue diagram A.1, ending with 2 chains, skip the sts in A.2 (do not work the 2 sl sts at the beg of A.1 anymore) and repeat A.1. Happy crocheting!

The pattern is now making sense. 

Edited by Nicjane
answer found

Seems like they should have made a note of that.  Guess they thought people would intuitively know what to do.  Glad to hear you got a response and problem solved.  

Edited by bgs

My bad, when I saw the slip stitches at the beginning I looked for corresponding chains at the end of the repeat (because that's the only way I could think of that slip stitches would make sense), I should have said something.  Glad it's sorted out!