Pattern Help

Kasidy

Question

Hello Everyone, I recently bought a pattern and I'm having some trouble interpreting it. I've been crocheting for about a year and a half and thought I'd tackle my first pattern. Mistake on my part for choosing a pattern from the 70's. I've linked the pattern if you wanted to take a look at it. I'm honestly stumped so anything would help like advice, explaining how to do it, I'd absolutely love it if someone took the time and make a video explaining it. Thank you for your time!

-Kasidy

GrannySquareSkirtandMidriffTop_CrochetPattern.pdf

4 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Kasidy said:

Hello Everyone, I recently bought a pattern and I'm having some trouble interpreting it. I've been crocheting for about a year and a half and thought I'd tackle my first pattern. Mistake on my part for choosing a pattern from the 70's. I've linked the pattern if you wanted to take a look at it. I'm honestly stumped so anything would help like advice, explaining how to do it, I'd absolutely love it if someone took the time and make a video explaining it. Thank you for your time!

-Kasidy

GrannySquareSkirtandMidriffTop_CrochetPattern.pdf 942.63 kB · 1 download

Kasidy, you can do a general search for granny square skirt tutorials or go to YouTube and look for crochet granny square skirt. (There are several). Folks here are volunteering their time to help with specific questions to help out. 
Hope this helps so that you can tackle your new project. If you bought the pattern not sure it’s ok to post pdf.  I haven’t looked, just saying based on what you’ve said. 

Actually after giving the pattern a quick look it seems to be pretty well written in comparison to many of the patterns that I see coming out anymore.  I personally prefer a well written pattern over a video any day.  Looking at a written pattern can be intimidating and confusing seeing all those words and trying to visualize everything that is going on.   What you have to do is focus on doing what the pattern says to do step by step.  Sometimes I rewrite long confusing parts and just put a step or two per line or take a pen and underline or use hashmarks to break the steps up.  

This garment is constructed using many motifs or squares that are identical and a few for shaping that are made a little differently so you are really making it in sections and then putting it together.  If you have a specific question let us know.

This site has good info on reading patterns.

https://www.craftyarncouncil.com/standards/how-to-read-crochet-pattern

Welcome to the 'ville Kasidy!  I agree with Bgs, crochet patterns from the 1970s pretty much adhere to the current conventional 'grammar' of pattern writing that you'll see in the US Craft Yarn Council site (and I don't see anything unclear, scanning this pattern).  However current self published patterns (like on someone's blog, or sold on Etsy) are as likely to be awful as excellent.

Is there a specific line or bit that is confusing you?  If you've started something that you think you've done right but doesn't look right to you, can you post a photo?  Maybe we can spot a problem area (if there is one) and explain how to fix where you went wrong. 

Observation - this is calling for a small hook, US size 'C' and a now-extinct sport-weight yarn (sport weight is not extinct, just that particular brand/version).  Are you using the same hook and yarn weight* the pattern calls for?  Have you made a gauge swatch, and are you hitting gauge?  This will be critical for your project since you are making big squares; if this were a garment in a solid plain stitch, it might be easy to 'tweak' a stitch or 2 (or row or 2) to fit you, but NOT easy to tweak a 6" motif or 2.

*yarn weights - another page in the link Bgs gave you above about US yarn weights, you want one with a "2" in the little skein symbol on the label.  Link to Yarnspirations, brands in that weight category, here's the ones from Lion Brand --not every yarn that exists in that weight, but to give you a start.