Trying to make amigurmi (forgive spelling)

Crochetbabe36

Question

15 answers to this question

Every time you see inc make 2 stitches into 1 stitch of previous round.

Rnd 6: Sc 4, inc; rep 6 times (36 sts) means make

1 sc into 1 stitch of previous round

2 sc into 1 stitch of previous round

Repeat this entire sequence 6 times

(36 sts) means at the end of this round you will have a total of 36 stitches

To add to what Bgs said, I'm going to copy down the 2 lines of your pattern and guess at what the next might be:

Rnd 6: Sc 4, inc; rep 6 times (36 sts)

Rnd 7: Sc 5, inc; rep 6 times (42 sts)

guess - Rnd 8: Sc 6, inc; rep 6 times (48 sts)

A lot of toys start out with a flat circle for a few rows before the shaping  starts.  A flat circle in SC starts with 6, and adds 6 each round; each round increases by 1 the # of plain stitches before the increases.  Just mentioning this because recognizing a pattern to what you are doing can help keep you on track and make counting stitches easier in this case.

15 minutes ago, Crochetbabe36 said:

So the 4 sc go into four separate stitches with an increase of of 2 stitches just making sure I understand 

Yes each of the 4 sc go in 4 separate stitches and then make the increase by working 2 stitches into 1 stitch.  This makes 6 stitches in round 6 but uses 5 stitches from round 5.  Repeat sequence 6 times gives you 36 stitches in round 6 and uses the 30 stitches made in round 5.

Edited by bgs

4 minutes ago, Crochetbabe36 said:

How do you fit 4 stitches in 1 stitches please forgive me I’m trying to figure out increase it can be confusing

You are not putting 4 stitches into one stitch----it can be done but that is not what this pattern says to do.  You are making 1 stitch into 1 stitch.  Do it 4 times.

1 stitch into 1 stitch , then 1 stitch into next stitch, then 1 stitch into next stitch, then 1 stitch into next stitch then 2 stitches into 1 stitch.

Do this sequence a total of 6 times so you will have a total of 36 stitches on this round.

Just thought of something else.  Usually in making amigurumi they work rounds in a spiral rather than do a slipstich join chain 1 to eliminate gaps.  You need to put a stitch marker in the first stitch of a round so you can keep track of your rounds.  You can use a piece of yarn, safety pin, bobby pin etc.  Also this site has a lot of good info and tips on making amis eg starting with a magic ring or circle

https://www.planetjune.com/blog/tutorials/crochet-tutorials/

Sorry, I hope what I said earlier didn't confuse you.  There is a certain "crochet pattern grammar" conventionally written patterns use:

If a pattern says 'make 4 stitches", and doesn't say where to make them, it means "make 1 stitch into each of the next 4 stitches".

If the pattern wanted you to do something other than the above with the next 4 stitches , it would specifically say where, (example) "skip next 2 SC, make 4 sc into the following stitch".  You'd be surprised how many stitches you can cram into 1, shell stitches for example are typically 3, or 5, or a higher odd number of (usually DCs) into 1 stitch.

Some of this is just about learning the language of ami's.

When you create something round you tend to increase and even decrease to create shaping.

So you start with say 6 stitches. 

A general rule of thumb is you increase by putting 2 stitches into one stitch.  This would give you a total of 12 stitches

The next round generally is a sc 1 inc depending on how it is written.  In this case you make a sc in the next stitch and then you put two in the next stitch creating the increase.  This will get you to 18.

Then the pattern continues to create the shape the designer has in mind.

To reach your total stitch count of 36 you will start with your first stitch and sc and then move to the next stitch and make another sc until you've made 4 sc into the previous row's stitches.  Then you will make an increase which means putting 2 sc in one stitch.

The stitch count when you reach the end of the row should be 36 stitches.

2 hours ago, Granny Square said:

To add to what Bgs said, I'm going to copy down the 2 lines of your pattern and guess at what the next might be:

Rnd 6: Sc 4, inc; rep 6 times (36 sts)

Rnd 7: Sc 5, inc; rep 6 times (42 sts)

guess - Rnd 8: Sc 6, inc; rep 6 times (48 sts)

A lot of toys start out with a flat circle for a few rows before the shaping  starts.  A flat circle in SC starts with 6, and adds 6 each round; each round increases by 1 the # of plain stitches before the increases.  Just mentioning this because recognizing a pattern to what you are doing can help keep you on track and make counting stitches easier in this case.

I always start flat circle with 8 sc. I only start with 6 sc anything what needs to turn to a ball or half a ball or..??

Krys

That's a 'guide' I found on a website a long time ago (Crochet Cabana)--6 SC,  or 8 or 9 HDC, or 12 DC to start a circle, and increase that stitch count each round.  (I believe it's under tutorials, working in the round)

It works fairly well for me, BUT it depends on your stitch height gauge.  If you are getting cupping you probably make make tallish stitches, nothing wrong with that, I make shortish ones, but you just might have to make adjustments following designers with short stitches, as I have to make adjustments following designers with tall stitches.  

11 hours ago, USpolishgirl said:

I always start flat circle with 8 sc. I only start with 6 sc anything what needs to turn to a ball or half a ball or..??

Krys

She said she is making an Ami. 6 is pretty standard for an Ami. 

On 4/10/2021 at 6:20 AM, Bailey4 said:

She said she is making an Ami. 6 is pretty standard for an Ami. 

That is right for a ball" Ami-head or whatever round ball or half a ball... we start with 6sc.

I was replying I think to grannysquare ( I am not sure to who I replied??)  And it was about FLAT CIRCLE. That is why I wrote I always start with 8sc NOT with 6sc.

On the other hand anyone can crochet the way they might think is right. or whatever... I am not here  try to "convince" anyone LOL.