Need Baby Blanket Border Advice Pls

LeapyearCynthia

Question

Hey y'all-

I am absolutely terrible at choosing borders especially when I'm not working off a pattern.  I've just finished this gorgeous bright baby blanket (drunken granny stitch) but it still needs a border.  I'm sorta leaning towards the bullion shell in the picture but then again think it may be too much.  Any thoughts, suggestions, opinions welcome!  Ready to get r'done!!   Thanks y'all! 😁

20200828_101737.jpg

20210401_091748.jpg

11 answers to this question

I think that would go fairly well with the blanket pattern, but a thought (opinion)-- if you subbed a shell-chain(s)-shell* instead of the bullion assembly in that last row, it would coordinate better with your blanket's stitch better (IMO, the bullion part of the edging 'clashes' with the rest of the edging and your blanket)

*By shell I mean several stitches into 1--preferably the same # of stitches into your 'drunken' stitch, looks like 4 if I'm squinting right), chain x, skip y, repeat (the total # of DCs and chains made should equal the # of stitches used or skipped to keep it flat, plus extras to turn the corners).  The shell would mirror the box stitch pattern of your blanket

Edited by Granny Square

I would go with a shell or granny square border. In the 1st round do 3 (4) dc, ch 2 across each side/end with ch 3 for the corners then in the 2nd round sc in each dc, 2 sc in ch sp across each side/end with 3 (4) sc in the corners. 

BTW: Where can I get the drunken granny stitch pattern :think ?

Ellie 13

On 4/10/2021 at 1:39 PM, Granny Square said:

Ellie13, it has several names, and can be worked diagonally ( you've probably seen C2C stitch ) or in rows.  Check this out

Holy moly that is some weirdness right there 😅  It is very pretty and I think I could probably follow it, but its 'crazy' name truly fits!!  Just wow....

Oh I love the border. So fitting. Do you still per chance have a link for the border? I'd love to include this on a afghan I'm currently working on.

@ReniCThank you, I am really happy with it.  I just stumbled across it when looking for borders so it truly was a happy accident 😁

This should be the link

Good luck, it really is easy.   Let me know how yours comes out 😊

Edited by LeapyearCynthia

And thank you too. I have about a dozen more rows to go on the afghan, 4 rounds of another stitch, then I can add this part of the border. I've done reverse sc before, but never with a puff stitch. It should be fun to make. I hope mine turns out as well as yours. 🙂